Wireless charger problem on 2011 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phlyphish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently put an OhSnap magnetic wireless charger in 09 Hyundai Sonata and it works flawlessly. Stay with me please, the OhSnap charger works well with the OhSnap phone grip on my phone's case, so I decided to put one in my Ram as well. It also worked flawlessly, until I started the truck. With the truck off the phone charges as it should. Once the truck is running, the wireless charging kicks in and out every few seconds. I tried every lighter outlet.

I'm using the same high power 30W adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HYQLH1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) that works in the Hyundai. In fact, I connected the whole setup to the Hyundai and it works fine there (even with the car running). I also connected it directly to the Ram battery. It worked fine while the truck was off. Once I started the truck, it again kicks in and out every few seconds.

I wondered if the voltage was surging while the truck is on causing the power adapter to shut down, but I put a meter on it the cigarette lighter and it stays pretty constant. Still, connecting directly to the battery posts and still having the same problem really has me baffled. Well, the whole thing really has me baffled. Basically, it will only charge while the truck is off.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and, more importantly, figured out how to solve the problem.

ADWarlock20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a similar issue with a wireless charging phone mount. The only way I could get it to not kick in and out was to use a low-power usb adapter in my 12v outlet. I ended up getting rid of the mount because it would barely charge with a low-power adapter.

OP
OP
P

phlyphish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a multi meter in the circuit to measure the amperage. With the truck off, it draws 300-400 milliamps and, again, works flawlessly. Start the truck and the amperage goes to zero every few seconds, which causes the wireless charging to kick in and out as described previously.

I'm convinced there's something going on with the truck itself that is causing the fluctuation in amperage. Idk, a bad relay or something. Strange that it doesn't seem to affect anything else that I have noticed.