Wiring harness for an 89.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Sokoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
I've looked high and low been in and out of junk yards looking for a complete wiring harness for a 1989 Ram D150.

It has a 3.9L V6 with a standard transmission. I've rebuilt this motor and replaced almost all parts under the hood and had the exhaust ran on it and when it was welded up they didn't unplug the battery or ECU so all electrical components got cooked. I've since replaced them or had them rebuilt and now I'm having extensive electrical issues because the harness is no good.

I've searched for a painless wiring harness but no one sells them and no parts website sells any type of harness for this old beast. I know 1989 was a limited and unusual year for Dodge considering they were supposed to stop production in 1988; but it baffles me that parts for this specific year are so hard to find.

I'm reaching out to the Dodge Ram community to see if anyone might have some inclination as to where I might be able to find this part. It's the only thing stopping me from finishing this project that I've dumped well over $5,000 into now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't think there's any aftermarket wiring. I ended up picking up some wiring diagrams, using parts of the original harness as templates and basically 'custom' rewiring my truck from ground up. I'm making a few improvements along the way and adding a bunch of relays to the truck circuits. total PITA but I think worth it.

jakefrancis127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
spend the money for actual year specific service manual in order to get good wiring schematics. like reek said, study those to see what goes to what, make some modifications and re wire the truck from the ground up. by the time I modernized my existing harness, i had cut so much out of it i wish i would have just started from scratch

White_Trash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225ci Inline Slant 6
I started a wiring harness on my 83 a couple months ago and have been having a lot of those same issues. So far, I've had to order a lot of things that aren't made specifically for the truck but I know for sure they'll work. I ended up with a universal wiring harness off ebay for trucks of a similar year. The wiring harness comes with instructions and they help a lot if you do it right. Still a bit tricky though. Other than that I've spent a lot of time ordering and waiting on parts I had no idea I would need. I'm just kinda figuring it out as I go along.
A perk about the universal wiring harness I've got is that it has a lot of wires for some neat upgrades I'd like to add at some point, like remote locks and powered windows. If you're changing out the harness, I highly recommend getting a repair manual with the wiring diagrams and labeling the hell out of everything as you remove the old wires. I'll post a link for the harness I ended up with if you're interested. I also think it should be noted that this is my first project truck and I'm sort of a novice mechanic.

Last edited: