Wiring LED pods to fog light button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kditchburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, I have a 2010 1500 and that I recently put a chrome bumper on with the fog light cut outs. I'm going to put LED pods in place of the fog lights and use the factory fog light button to turn them on and off. I plan on using a toggle relay coming straight from the wiring harness right into the headlamp switch. I'm just trying to figure out which wires do what coming out of the back of the switch but I'm having a hard time finding any wiring diagrams for it.
If anyone has any help that'd be great.

Attachments

• IMG_20210910_124618.jpg
    IMG_20210910_124618.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210910_124658.jpg
    IMG_20210910_124658.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210910_124704.jpg
    IMG_20210910_124704.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 8

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did your truck have fog lights originally? If so you will need to tap the factory fog harness for a relay or just wire your lights to the factory fog light wiring.

OP
OP
K

kditchburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No it did not. I got the bumper and switch with the fog light button off of another truck.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then I’m not sure. You may need the wiring harness for your year because I think that switch uses a momentary signal to control a relay in the bcm and is not actually an on off switch

OP
OP
K

kditchburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If possible I would like to bypass the trucks computer system. I'm positive that it is momentary signal as it is a button and not a toggle switch. I was planning on tapping into the wire coming directly out of the switch and putting in a toggle/latching relay.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
curious why you don’t want to use the trucks computer? I have led pods tied into my factory fog light harness with no relay and I have 0 issues. Best bet for you is to figure out which wire is positive and ground to that switch and then test the other wires leaving the switch. However I’m not sure if that switch uses 12v or goes through the canbus system. Maybe compare it to your existing lighting switch and see if the wiring is the same or different with any extra wires

OP
OP
K

kditchburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So that when I turn my high beams on, the fog lights don't turn off. I already compared the two switches and the wiring is identical on both.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well technically the United States DOT says no more than 4 high output lights are allowed on the front of the vehicle at any given time while in public roadways so if you are doing that for off-road than sure thing. And the fact that they match answers my question. Your switch is through the canbus. Your only option will be to add a completely separate switch in the cab that controls a relay to power your lights because there would be no way you can do it with the factory fog light switch. You can run a wire off the accessory plug that is key controlled so your fog lights will only be on when the keys are in the on position so you don’t accidentally forget to turn the fog lights off.

OP
OP
K

kditchburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for your input. I was just wondering if it was at all possible without having an aftermarket switch. It's not a huge deal for me to put a seperate switch in, I just like keeping things a stock looking as possible.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
curious why you don’t want to use the trucks computer? I have led pods tied into my factory fog light harness with no relay and I have 0 issues. Best bet for you is to figure out which wire is positive and ground to that switch and then test the other wires leaving the switch. However I’m not sure if that switch uses 12v or goes through the canbus system. Maybe compare it to your existing lighting switch and see if the wiring is the same or different with any extra wires
This exactly ^^^^

That Switch is not designed to carry an actual load & only works when Foglight sales code is activated by dealer or yourself with AlfaOBD ... Then tells the BCM to turn on the 2 Foglight outputs...
They come out of the TIPM (fuse box connector) and go directly to the factory Foglight extension/bumper harnesses.

You can also use AlfaOBD to disable the Foglight "Dropout" so they stay on with high beams.

See:

- DIY: Add 2013-2018 OEM Foglight Wiring (& some 09-12 info)