Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Luau_Pig, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:45 AM.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. Luau_Pig

Luau_Pig Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Classic
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I'm looking to wire up 5 LED pod lights on top of my roll bar. I'm new to wiring though. Any advice on how to wire up 5 lights through a relay wiring harness to a single switch? Diagrams would be helpful. I understand how to get to the battery and all that good stuff. Just wanting to know how best to connect the 5 lights.

2. NJMOPAR

NJMOPAR Senior Member Supporting Member TOTM Winner

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Wiring lights is just positive (red) and negative (black) with fused power & a switch.
    I'd wire all 5 lights together (5 reds into 1, 5 black into 1). Use 14ga wire & heat shrink tubing for the splices. Get a wire stripper/crimper and a set of crimp terminals, run the 14ga black wire to any body bolt for ground.
    Get an in-line 10A fuse & a mini-fuse tap, find a 'on w/ignition' fuse and run the 14ga red off that.
    Splice the switch into the same connection.

They sell prewired harnesses specifically for what you're doing too.

3. Luau_Pig

Luau_Pig Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Classic
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thanks that's what I was looking for. Is 14 ga the go to? I Ordered a 12 ga harness as the total wattage of the 5 lights will be about 300 watts. The 12 ga harness claims to be good to 450. Just wanting to play it safe. Also is the fuse tap necessary or can I just run the positive to the battery? Already got my headlights and fogs taking up accessory fuses.

4. NJMOPAR

NJMOPAR Senior Member Supporting Member TOTM Winner

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You can run the positive to the battery but splice in an inline fuse to be safe. 10A on 12ga wire would work.

5. Luau_Pig

Luau_Pig Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Classic
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Sounds good. the harnesses I bought have 40A inline fuses built in with smaller fuses if needed. Just gotta wait for this long work weekend to be over so I can get it all wired up. Throwing 5 light pods on the roll bar. 2 on the grill guard, and 2 smaller pods for reversing.

NJMOPAR likes this.