Wobbling and clicking when turning at low speed in 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waspus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys

I have a 2012 3500 chassis cab.

When turning sharply in 4x4 the wheels wobble side to side quite severely, and I can hear this horrible grinding/clicking noise coming from what sounds like the front wheels. I understand a bit of wobbling is expected in 4x4 but this happens regardless of the surface I'm driving on. I jacked up the front end and played around with the wheels and I can't get them to move in any unexpected way, as if my wheel bearing was failing. Everything seems solid. I can also hear the grinding/clicking coming from the wheels when my window is down but not when it's up which makes me think it's not coming from the transfer case.

The truck drives perfectly fine in 2wd, no wobbling and no grinding noise.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

zrock

Reaction score
Your wheel bearing are shot... You will not get a wobbling from a ujoint. When my front bearing went their was no movement in the tires when i jacked them up or no noise. When i pulled them they were so messed up i could not turn them by hand.. I drove for 8 months before i just decided to bite the bullet and change them, never seen wheel bearings go in this manner before .

zrock

Reaction score
bad u joints are not going to cause the tire to wobble.. Possibility both are gone..

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would look at the axleshaft u-joints, and as stated you can see and feel them without taking anything apart. They located just behind the tire assembly and inside the knuckle. If they are worn out and sloppy they definitely could cause a jerking motion that may look like a tire wobbling and the clicking noise. You can grab them by hand and check for any play, or maybe a prybar with light pressure. If those look good check the front driveshaft.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
bad u joints are not going to cause the tire to wobble.. Possibility both are gone..
Bad u-joints will cause a binding which could feel like a wobble while driving. OP can visually inspect them. Ujoints with rust around the needle bearing cups means the joint is most likely shot. If the axles are CV joints, a broken boot is a sign of failure. Once the grease is thrown out and water / dirt gets in it won't be long before they're gone.

OP
OP
W

waspus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I looked at them
Do the front wheels actually wobble, as observed by someone watching? Or do you think they wobble because you’re getting an oscillating feedback in the steering wheel?

My buddy was standing in front of the truck and said the wheels were swaying side to side

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I looked at them

My buddy was standing in front of the truck and said the wheels were swaying side to side
It could have been the wheels were moving together when the u-joint binds it could cause 1 wheel to jerk right or left and pull the other wheel with it. Have you checked the steering linkage? Being a 3500 you probably have a regular (not rack & pinion) recirculatung ball steering. Bad idler arm or pitman arm joints can cause that kind of wobble.

Last edited: