Woke up to my truck making an odd noise, where do I start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charley Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 ram 3500. Linked a video at the bottom, sounds like a metallic rustling sound when I hit the pedal and am accelerating. Makes no sound when Idling or coasting,

Any advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated!

again video is of me slightly applying gas, the frequency of the noise increases as i put more gas on the pedal

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm not hearing anything out of the ordinary, but the clip is like 6 seconds, so hard to hear over engine.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could that be turbo noise ?

OP
OP
C

Charley Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
let me go take a vid of what it sounds like just idling, that will give a better idea.

OP
OP
C

Charley Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok heres a longer vid, took it right at the exhaust brake is engaging during cold startup.. guessing it must be an exhaust/boost issue because of this? I know what exhaust brake sounds like on a deleted truck, but since ive owned it ive never heard it coming from the engine bay, only the exhaust

also here is normal idle.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
ok heres a longer vid, took it right at the exhaust brake is engaging during cold startup.. guessing it must be an exhaust/boost issue because of this? I know what exhaust brake sounds like on a deleted truck, but since ive owned it ive never heard it coming from the engine bay, only the exhaust

also here is normal idle.

We kindly recommend following up with our Canadian Customer Care team for further support. You may either call 1-800-361-3700 or submit your info at https://forms.chryslercanada.ca/contact/en/contactCCI.php?brand=dodge to receive an email follow up.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
C

Charley Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an update for anyone that cares haha... so the EGT **** plug somehow came out of the back blockoff delete plate so there was essentially just a 1/4 inch hole for the exhaust to come through like a flute. Went to homedepot and got another 1/8 plug, hopefully it stays in there