Won’t accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I doubt it is the cats. At 140000 miles I believe your valleys and sensor pack, one unit, are in need of replacement.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could always drop the pipes, secure them and take it for a very loud test drive...my suburban had 275k on it when cats clogged. Dealer disconnected the pipes and it ran fine. They wanted $1500 to replace cats. I drove it home open headers with 2 fire extinguishers riding shotgun...gutted the cats. In VA, state inspection requires cats to be there if it came equipped oem. No emissions checks in Central Va...yet. But the housings were still there!

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it were the cats, I believe codes would be thrown. Is your CEL light up? If so, what codes did you pull? You may get something like P0420, P0141, P0136, P0156 or any of a number of O2 sensor or catalyst related codes (P013* - P016* or P042*).

EDIT - The transmission may throw codes P0700-P0799

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p07-codes
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I know you've checked to see if the fluid is burnt, but have you actually checked the fluid level in the transmission yet (with the engine running, warmed up and in Park or Neutral) and also, any codes thrown? Sounds to me like low fluid or possibly motor is in limp mode from some other issue.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so I have an 05 1500 4.7. I noticed that when I came to a complete stop and went to accelerate , the truck Rpms would go up but the truck would crawl slowly. I would have to gradually build up speed . The plugs and coils have been changed. O2 and TPS sensors changed within the last year. Only code is a loose gas cap . The pipes that attach to the muffler were broken off at the muffler a few weeks ago , and I have a possible broken manifold bolt so I’m wondering if it’s a clogged catalytic converter ? Any help would be appreciated
Had similar problem with my 2002 Ram quad cab. Problem ended up being the transmission though, required a rebuild and the problem went away. good luck.

ramirezcf619

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just had that same issue happen to me on my 2003 Ram 5.7L. I was close to home so dropped truck off and took grandmas car to work (that was fun). Came home and took truck on test drive and ran fine. I've had this happen a couple of times. I feel like it's an electric issue. Any ideas?

Is yours doing it all the time or is it sporadic like mine?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

William Hamrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Thanks for all the information guys. So I just got a chance to look at Everything a little closer today. Started checking little things. Noticed that the air filter was a little dirty so I blew it out. Also noticed the air box wasn’t secured in place where it goes over the throttle body so I secured that too. Drove the truck around for about 20 minutes with no “sluggish feel” tranny is shifting fine . Weirdly enough the check engine light went off too. Man that was a relief.

OP
OP
W

William Hamrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Had similar problem with my 2002 Ram quad cab. Problem ended up being the transmission though, required a rebuild and the problem went away. good luck.

Nope I dodged a billet there. I started messing with little things . Noticed the air box wasn’t sitting secured over the throttle body and cleaned the air filter out. Drove the truck for about 20 minutes . No issues, and the check engine light went off . Thanks for the reply though man

OP
OP
W

William Hamrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I just had that same issue happen to me on my 2003 Ram 5.7L. I was close to home so dropped truck off and took grandmas car to work (that was fun). Came home and took truck on test drive and ran fine. I've had this happen a couple of times. I feel like it's an electric issue. Any ideas?

Is yours doing it all the time or is it sporadic like mine?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It only did it that couple of times. I parked the truck for like a week or so before I could get a chance to mess with it. Secured the air box becuase it wasn’t sitting right over the throttle body , cleaned the air filter and drove the truck for about 20 minutes . No issues . Check engine light went off.

OP
OP
W

William Hamrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I know you've checked to see if the fluid is burnt, but have you actually checked the fluid level in the transmission yet (with the engine running, warmed up and in Park or Neutral) and also, any codes thrown? Sounds to me like low fluid or possibly motor is in limp mode from some other issue.
Thanks man. Yeah I did. It had a code and I thought I’d check some things out before I got it hooked up on a diagnostic tool. Secured the air box that wasn’t a little wonky , cleaned out the air filter. Was driving to get the code checked and the truck drove/ shifted fine . Check engine went off too