Won’t shift out of park?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H-fletch94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey y’all, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue before but my column shifter will not shift out of park. The truck has been a project of mine for the past year, it’s a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12 valve. I had just replaced the ignition starter switch (related maybe?) and I was trying to take the truck around the block but couldn’t lol.

thank y’all!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey y’all, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue before but my column shifter will not shift out of park. The truck has been a project of mine for the past year, it’s a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12 valve. I had just replaced the ignition starter switch (related maybe?) and I was trying to take the truck around the block but couldn’t lol.

thank y’all!
Did you replace the ignition switch?

The Ram has a shift interlock solenoid that prevents the shift lever from being moved when the brake pedal is not being applied.

When you apply the brake pedal the brake lamp switch sends voltage to the interlock solenoid so you can move the shift lever.

OP
OP
H-fletch94

H-fletch94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah it was the ignition switch, you think I messed something up while replacing the switch? It’s always shifted for me when I’ve needed it too but then again I don’t drive it very often. Ill look into that shift interlock solenoid and see what I can figure out, thanks!

Kc7pwx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If that isn't the problem it could be the shift linkage in the steering column.
from what I found they are not rebuildable. I was able to find a used one.
When mine failed my tranny was not running great and i had put third gen brakes on it so my ebrake was able to hold the truck still so I was able to shift the truck into gear from under the hood and then get in and drive.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also, if parked on a slope the parking pawl might be under tension. If that's the case you might be able to rock the truck manually to disengage the pawl.

My 2011 Jeep JK has a bypass if it gets stuck in Park under load. I don't know if your truck does or not.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/221

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you replace the ignition switch?

The Ram has a shift interlock solenoid that prevents the shift lever from being moved when the brake pedal is not being applied.

When you apply the brake pedal the brake lamp switch sends voltage to the interlock solenoid so you can move the shift lever.
The 2nd gens have no such feature