wonderful front u-joints....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MN97SCB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have to wonder if it is just me or how common it is to have to replace the front u-joint every one to two years? Fortunate enough to have purchased the lifetime warrantied u-joints but it is still a pain to have to change them that often. Just wondering if there could be another problem I am not catching. Tires wear even, do not feel any wobble in the steering or ride.
The truck is a 1997 Club Cab , all stock, came with the 265/75/16 tires.

thank you for any advise you can swing my way.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Which front U-joints? Based on your description, it sounds like axle joints?

You first problem is you buy parts with a "lifetime warranty". Having been in the auto -parts business a very long time, this is the biggest scam perpetuated on the buying public...ah that would take to long to explain.

So here's what I'd recommend. Find a local shop that sells non Chinese lifetime U-joints. You want Spicer greaseable u joints. They will cost you more, but you will be able to grease them, and when you do, which is a good idea every other or third oil change depending on use, use a good quality moly grease.

At that point they should last you a very long time, unless you have a front locker and run class 4 trails with 35 inch or larger boggers.

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
MN97SCB

MN97SCB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you, I will look into that. It does make sense.

Reactions: Mop

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
IMG_5690.JPG Common mistake calling them U-joints. The 'U-Joints are more commonly associated with drive line drive shafts. Once the application makes it to an axle they are CV joints (but I knew what you meant)..

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
View attachment 156531 Common mistake calling them U-joints. The 'U-Joints are more commonly associated with drive line drive shafts. Once the application makes it to an axle they are CV joints (but I knew what you meant)..

HUH? Location has nothing to do with the name associated to a joint style. The joint in your picture is a typical cross and needle bearing style universal joint, called a "single Cardan" joint. If you turn the wheels, say 30*, as you rotate the inner shaft in a constant speed the outer shaft will speed up and slow down as the joint articulates. The "constant velocity joints" typically associated with front axles are called a "ball and trunnion" joint and have balls that slide in grooves, are immersed in grease and protected by a rubber bellows, and allows the outer shaft to maintain a constant speed as the shaft is rotated and given angle. There are also older style "constant velocity" joints called "double Cardan" joints that use 2 cross and bearing style joints phased to cancel out the inherent vibration of a single u-joint.

In any case - the unit in your picture is a common u-joint, not a constant velocity joint.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well you could always upgrade to RCV axle shafts. Pricey but NICE.
RCV Axle Shafts.jpgrcv_shafts_4.jpg