Wood car ramps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey group wondering if any of you have made your own ramps specifically out of wood? Considering making some out of 2x12s stacked together. Was concidering the metal/plastic ones but never really trusted those. Figure the wood isn't going to give. Thoughts?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen lots of people do that and they seem to work well. I had to make a set for my SRT-4 since it was lowered and I couldn't use my regular ramps.

Last edited:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd imagine wood will give more unpredictably than metal or plastic. Most lumber now days is not old growth stuff with tight grain. Lots of sap wood. Assuming you're using big box lumber store stuff, its going to be grade 2 lumber typically from farmed /new growth trees. 2x12s you use could potentially split along the grain with use. of course stacked in a step wise manner, this may not be a big issue. I have done this in years past.
if you're going to be under the truck, I'd just invest in some safe equipment. and definitely don't use cinder blocks. and consider using jack stands as well.

get some quality poly/plastic ramps. something like the rhino ramps are economical. been around for years with no known reports of significant failures.
Pair of RhinoRamps — 8,000-Lb. Capacity/Pair, 16,000-Lb. GVW, Model# 11912 | Car Truck Ramps| Northern Tool + Equipment

or you can get really fancy upwards of 600 bucks. Unique Truck Equipment - Emerson 20 Ton Truck Ramps

Last edited:

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
wood is heavy, bulky, and it can split over time. I've used the composite plastic ones for years. Only problem I've had with those is the little rubber pavement gripper that supposed to be captive, isn't captive and falls out occasionally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Goal is to make oil changes a little easier. I looked at some of the plactic ones and saw a few that collapsed apparently. That is concerning ecspecially with as much as my truck weighs. But these would mainly be for my durango and my wife's journey so maybe the rihino ones would be a better option...

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look up race ramps.
https://raceramps.com

Little pricey, but feather light and I love mine. I try to save money when I can...but I truthfully consider these money well spent.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wood will work, BUT...it has to be solid. We use wood blocks to hold up massive ships in drydock. If you make a ramp out of wood it has to be completely solid to hold concentrated weight like that.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Goal is to make oil changes a little easier. I looked at some of the plactic ones and saw a few that collapsed apparently. That is concerning ecspecially with as much as my truck weighs. But these would mainly be for my durango and my wife's journey so maybe the rihino ones would be a better option...

I've run my 01 3500 4wd QCAB service box, steel-wheeled dually up on mine. I don't know how your truck could be much heavier than mine, but I've had no issues with the Rhino ramps.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've run my 01 3500 4wd QCAB service box, steel-wheeled dually up on mine. I don't know how your truck could be much heavier than mine, but I've had no issues with the Rhino ramps.

is there a model number for the ramps you have? tks.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have a set of steel ones that I got well over 10 years ago. They have held every vehicle I have ever put on them.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
is there a model number for the ramps you have? tks.

model #11903. they are rated at 2K #'s each. 4K #'s for a pair.
One more warning: I wouldn't expect them to last if you leave them outside in intense sun for long, long periods of time. Like any plastic, the sun's UV's over time will probably degrade them.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Never had a problem with rhino ramps expect the rubber foot falling out even then its fine on my rough driveway only issue was on a smooth concrete floor, put it in 4wd and no issue

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

yrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to use wood ramps, then use them. Just buy 2x12's and start with say a three foot piece and cut the next two inches shorter and so on. Just stack up as many as you want. Cut them at an angle if you want, but not really necessary, in my experience. Screwed together the chances of splitting are mostly non-existent.

If you worry about them sliding on each other screw them together every time you stack another one. They are probably not going to be cheaper thought. A 12 foot board is going to get you about 8" lift. If you want to get really strong cut and fit a 3/4'' of plywood between each 2x12. Screw them together. Going to be heavy.

I don't think I would get much higher that 14-16'' with the 12'' wide boards.

They will not collapse. I've used them for a 36,000 lb. motorhome. People use 2 bys to level trailers and motor homes all the time. At least as secure as jack stands I would think, although not redundant.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I know its been said, but don't ever use cinder blocks! I saw a car crush one and fall down that I was under 5 minutes before. Always take getting under a vehicle seriously, I worked with a guy that died because a car fell on him. His wife was in the house and he died of suffocation from the weight of the car and couldn't yell for help. PSA over.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of steel ramps I bought at NAPA years ago. Still use them. If you look around you might find some really good quality ones
I'd stay away from using wood. ftd

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Look up race ramps.
https://raceramps.com

Little pricey, but feather light and I love mine. I try to save money when I can...but I truthfully consider these money well spent.

+1

I have the 56" Race Ramps and extenders. Used just about everything else since high school auto shop in 1963/1964. Would not use anything but Race Ramps ever again.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get Douglass Fir at any lumber yard. Completely different product than #2 framing lumber. Framing lumber is not cut to be used laying flat and has limited lateral strength.