Wood car ramps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I would stay away from wood ramps you can get good metal ones those are what you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I used something similar to this for years to change my oil on my old truck.

ramp_1b.jpg

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used a set of rhino ramps for close to 20 years. If they held my diesel super duty, they will hold about any pick up.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I plan on doing the same with wood... I have the metal ones that are punched out, and I don't have a paved driveway. My old '02 Impala would sit stable on them, but front would be 1" in the ground.... I don't trust the Ram I just got to sit on them very well... heavier vehicle and wider tires.

I was also going to use 2x12's... but debating is 12" is wide enough or maybe 16" would be better.

If I went 16" wide... I'd probably use 3/4" plywood. Be a lot of layers but smaller steps and easier to drive up when working on the mini van. Figured 12 layers, be a 9" lift, glue and clamp together. Heavy, but solid and won't sink. Otherwise if 12" wide is fine (need to measure what I have) then 2x12, 5 layers.

Seen a few boxes made with plywood, open cavities inside... really don't trust that idea. Debated the plastic type ramps, but open cavities in the bottom mean sinking again.

Also playing with the idea of an 18"-24" deep mechanics pit beside the garage and 24x24x2 patio stones. Not too deep, but enough to get under for fluid changes, exhaust work etc.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Did you ever decide on the ramps? Kinda curious since debating it myself.

Was debating Rhino Ramps, but started to read way too many reviews with the words "collapsed" in them to go with those.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Outta my budget but I do want those. I like how the ends detach... had a few times with my old ramps where the spot I needed to get to was inline with the ends of the ramps and in the way.

What's the underside of those like? Oddly, even their own site doesn't seem to show images of that. Those rhino ramps have thin ridges with big open gaps that make me think in a non-paved situation they'd sink. That's why I debated the wood ramps... flat solid bottoms won't sink.

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents, Wood should hold up well as mentioned, I suggest the you also stagger the grain each layer, The reason the grain will be in the opposite direction of the next board and wood will warp, so the boards will not warp in the same direction, helps to reduce the planks curling on you

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Outta my budget but I do want those. I like how the ends detach... had a few times with my old ramps where the spot I needed to get to was inline with the ends of the ramps and in the way.

What's the underside of those like? Oddly, even their own site doesn't seem to show images of that. Those rhino ramps have thin ridges with big open gaps that make me think in a non-paved situation they'd sink. That's why I debated the wood ramps... flat solid bottoms won't sink.
I've used the rhino Ramos for years, never had any issues with them sinking. Granted, I've never used them in my yard when it was soft but in my dirt/gravel driveway they work just fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wood is heavy, bulky, and it can split over time. I've used the composite plastic ones for years. Only problem I've had with those is the little rubber pavement gripper that supposed to be captive, isn't captive and falls out occasionally.

My garage is super smooth and those rubber pads won't keep my Rhino Ramps from sliding. I had some leftover shingles from a shed and I just throw one down, sticking out towards the tire, so when it hits the ramp the tire is holding down the shingle. I was able to get the wife's suburban on the ramps with no problems.

GatheredEarth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I built a set for my wife's civic years ago out of treated 2x12's. I used gorilla construction adhesive and screws on each level. I also used bed liner spray on the ramps to help with traction. I built them about 8 years ago and they still look and function as good as the day i made them. I do keep them inside the garage though