Word of advice... Never few up your tank pass the 1st click!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moulin6801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just want to pass on some thing that I learned the hard way ... about engine light on, plus/or not, with Fuel cap light on .
That’s a common problem for people that fill up the tank past the first click!
I never knew about that with all my years of driving cars... wish somebody have told me that! So, that’s why I’m sharing with you guys especially the young ones...
You can save yourself the headache and money if you follow this simple rule!
Stop pumping gas at the 1st click!!!
Cheers!

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Going to call BS.

Always have filled to the second click on every vehicle I've ever owned.. and I've owned alot of vehicles and driven alot of miles in them. Both caped and capless.. never had the issue you are referring to.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I never kept going after the 1st click before mine started doing this and taking me 20 minutes per fill up ... there is something definitely faulty with the fueling system as a whole with "some" Rams and "I" think it is the fuel tank that is the culprit for the clicking off not the getting stuck in the fuel tube issue ...

There are 2 different issues here ... the gas nozzles getting stuck because of the very steep angle of the fuel tube and then the gas nozzles clicking off all day when you are filling up because of the evap systems or the fuel tank ....

The thing is that dealerships are confusing the two thinking that when you just simply mention having problems fueling they automatically think it's the fuel tube and replace it which honestly takes about 15 minutes to do so .... but they don't pay attention to the customers who specifically mention the clicking off of the nozzles while fueling and still want to say they fixed it because they replaced the fuel tube with the new one lol ... IDIOTS !

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
So is this topping off issue were it spills into the vent pipe thus not s
Alowing the system to pass it's gas, fumes (no pun intended, yeah it is, ).
Is this for both gas and diesel because i ain't gonna lie, I pack that baby as full as she will go until it starts dribbling out the overflow tube underunderneath . Yeah I know I'm gonna get some hate mail from an environmentalist, that's ok. when I only get 8-12 mpg, im packing that baby full unless it's highly possible that it will cause damage eventually. Not to say it can't happen, you can also burst into flames at the pump, but after decades of driving I've not caught on fire yet or had any damage from topping off actually made a noticeable difference for me.
I better knock on wood now, and the metal on my truck before I touch the fuel handle

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
You know, The fuel pump clicks off for a reason.
Im guessing to prevent overflowing and spilling, just guessing though. Yeah that was smart alecky. My wife said the every single time I'm slowly topping off, but that fill tube holds allot and at 10mpg white traveling, im packing her full.
I know your not supposed to do it but I honestly didn't know that there is a chance to cause damage, all though it be a small chance, so thank you for the Intel.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Im guessing to prevent overflowing and spilling, just guessing though. Yeah that was smart alecky. My wife said the every single time I'm slowly topping off, but that fill tube holds allot and at 10mpg white traveling, im packing her full.
I know your not supposed to do it but I honestly didn't know that there is a chance to cause damage, all though it be a small chance, so thank you for the Intel.

The fill tube doesn't hold a significant amount. Even if it held a gallon, you're not gaining much. With diesel what you're likely doing is letting the foam die down then getting more into the tank, as diesel foams much more then gasoline does. If you're pulling the nozzle up to the point you've filled the filler neck and can see liquid, you're eventually going to cause an issue. If you're just letting foam die down, you'll probably be ok. Of course probably =/= certainly.

And I should clarify my early post. I said "every modern vehicle" which is incorrect. Lots of things are vehicles that aren't required to have closed fuel systems and aren't designed to travel on the highway.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree 1st is the one for me, Otherwise it goes into the evaporative system.
EXACTLY but not to many people know that. but they'll learn when they gotta replace the evap canister & sensors. I've changed a few canisters filled with fuel

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just want to pass on some thing that I learned the hard way ... about engine light on, plus/or not, with Fuel cap light on .
That’s a common problem for people that fill up the tank past the first click!
I never knew about that with all my years of driving cars... wish somebody have told me that! So, that’s why I’m sharing with you guys especially the young ones...
You can save yourself the headache and money if you follow this simple rule!
Stop pumping gas at the 1st click!!!
Cheers!

I’ve owned several vehicles that had a warning in the vehicle owner’s manual not to overfill the fuel tank - and to stop filling when the nozzle shuts off.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know, The fuel pump clicks off for a reason.

I occasionally buy fuel at a local national grocery chain that offers a discount of fuel purchases. I have seen people continue to pump fuel and the nozzle repeatedly clicks off - but they keep pumping to get the extra several cents of discount. It is almost amusing.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I do this every time i fill. that extra gallon or to is need to make it to the next fuel stop.when towing the rv. three years and i have not had this problem. i wounder if its a 1500 thing and the 2500 is different.