Word of advice... Never few up your tank pass the 1st click!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
People are strange animals

Let me just say that if the gasoline fills the tank & no more, it remains in the tank
If your tank is full & you give another bit of fuel, there is a good chance to the gas will enter the hose that goes directly to the Charcoal Cannister, if that happens once or twice, you may get away with it, but you are eroding the Charcoal that is in the charcoal cannister,
Once that charcoal is deteriorated enough, you are going to see the EVIC light up & you will be replacing your charcoal cannister.

For many of us, we round up the cost shown on the pump, this does not usually hurt any part of the truck, but it might.
The reason that i stopped doing it was because of the chances of Fraud with the credit card charges.

Many people will walk into the gas station & charge $50 for fuel & get $50 in cash or something similar. The credit card companies hopefully let you know that you should call them if it is fraudulent.
At the pump, say you just pay at the pump & get $40 dollars worth of fuel & then drive away.
When your bill shows up, there are 2 equal charges of $40 & the credit card company does not catch it & you get charged.

It is not as likely to happen that way if you just let the pump stop at $40.03.
If the credit card company sees 2 charges of $40.03, they will definitely try to contact you & if they can't reach you right away, your card is cut off.

That happened to me when i was on a trip from coast to coast a couple of years ago

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The intended reason for the nozzles to click off once you have filled up is to prevent explosions from static electricity when someone gets out of their car since the nozzles have the triggers that help you fill up your vehicle without keeping your hand on the gazzle nozzle all the time...

But that is how people are ruining the gas nozzles at the stations ... it's not only our trucks but the nozzles filters and senors that go bad because people keep topping off ... I have been reading about this for the last 2 months finding random articles here and there and I am like wtf !

Pretty sure the reason the nozzles are designed to click-off is to prevent fuel from continuing to flow when the tank reaches capacity and the lever is locked in the dispense position. (Like when an attendant walks away to fill up another car or someone is not paying attention).

The static electricity issue you mention is very rare but tends to be associated with filling up a metal gas can that's in a vehicles trunk, cab, etc. That's why you're told to place metal gas cans on the ground when filling them.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
People are strange animals

Let me just say that if the gasoline fills the tank & no more, it remains in the tank
If your tank is full & you give another bit of fuel, there is a good chance to the gas will enter the hose that goes directly to the Charcoal Cannister, if that happens once or twice, you may get away with it, but you are eroding the Charcoal that is in the charcoal cannister,
Once that charcoal is deteriorated enough, you are going to see the EVIC light up & you will be replacing your charcoal cannister.

For many of us, we round up the cost shown on the pump, this does not usually hurt any part of the truck, but it might.
The reason that i stopped doing it was because of the chances of Fraud with the credit card charges.

Many people will walk into the gas station & charge $50 for fuel & get $50 in cash or something similar. The credit card companies hopefully let you know that you should call them if it is fraudulent.
At the pump, say you just pay at the pump & get $40 dollars worth of fuel & then drive away.
When your bill shows up, there are 2 equal charges of $40 & the credit card company does not catch it & you get charged.

It is not as likely to happen that way if you just let the pump stop at $40.03.
If the credit card company sees 2 charges of $40.03, they will definitely try to contact you & if they can't reach you right away, your card is cut off.

That happened to me when i was on a trip from coast to coast a couple of years ago

That's kind of old time hockey for those of us of a certain age - few pay in cash these days. Goes back to the old Seinfeld credit card commercial some decades back where he purposely charges a few cents beyond a whole dollar, then laughs.

I no longer care what the readout says, short of a gross measurement error on the flow rate. First click, I'm done.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I have a question. What year did these charcoal filters come out on our rams and are they on both gas and diesel run trucks?
I have drove numerous gas and diesel for over 4 decades and I've got to be the hardest on a fuel system, if there is such a for instance. I often run the tank down to where it says 1-20 miles to go until empty then I fill it up untill it runs out the overflow under truck. I dont always run the tank almost dry but I do always fill it until it spillith over.
Knocking on wood here, but ive been good so far, maybe just luck but its hard to believe I've been lucky for over 40+ years and dozens of vehicles

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Around Late 2002, but maybe before that, the charcoal cannister was moved to a location by the gas tank

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I found this

Charcoal cannisters used to be called Vaper Cannisters around 1972, they were mounted on the radiator support in front of the passenger side front tire.
They were well above the gas tank

evap-system-jpg.jpg

canister-top-purge-valves-jpg.jpg

https://www.allpar.com/threads/fixing-1970s-and-1980s-fuel-evaporation-control-systems.229057/
Ok, now i remember seeing this part. Ty for the pics
Now I know that as a grown man but I still have some teenage rebellion in me and one of thing's is my fueling process. What everyone is saying does make logical sense and shouldn't be that big a deal to not over fill the fuel cell just to be on the cautious side yet we continue to do it.
What I don't understand is the comments and criticisms saying that you may get away with topping off a few times befoe doing damage thus causing problems. How can this be if I've over filled for over 40+ years on multiple different vehicles. If this was such a common occurrence due to over filling abuse , one would believe that I was not lucky by not having any problems. Being lucky would of been getting by with it in a vehicle or two, not dozens over 4 decades.
So I totally get that it's more responsible to not let fuel hit the ground and too take the risk of damaging your charcoal canister thus causing yourself lots of money. I also do acknowledge the fact that yes this is something that can happen but it just doesn't seem to be the issue that some make it out too be. This is just my view of the conversation and past experiences.

Is gas more susceptible to being damaged from over fill than diesel is?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Diesels don’t have the vapour canisters/purge system like gas engines do so it’s not an issue.

It’s not a super common issue but in my years as a tech I’ve seen it happen a handful of times. Most systems are somewhat designed to prevent this but it can happen.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Diesels don’t have the vapour canisters/purge system like gas engines do so it’s not an issue.

It’s not a super common issue but in my years as a tech I’ve seen it happen a handful of times. Most systems are somewhat designed to prevent this but it can happen.
Probably the same odds of being on a plane that's been hijacked, it can happen, but unlikely.
Well we tow heavy , so my diesel ain't going no where unless I'm in it and its buried 6ft under, until then, I'm going keep packing that fuel cell.

OP
OP
M

moulin6801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I fixed the problem, after failing the emissions test.
Bought a $20 part on Amazon, got under , behind the fuel tank, replace the sensor, disconnect battery, so to reset engine code, and all fixed!! Proud of myself, save me $150 dealer wanted to fix it… ooh, bought a new gas cap $10.
All thanks to YouTube videos!!