work truck or hobby truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Was in the woods four days in last 5 and as I drove through some rough spots I wondered what the guys with the hobby trucks would think of the new scratches on my 08 2500 and the dents in the box floor from throwing in pieces of elm weighing sixty pounds or worse, dumping them out of a tractor front end loader.

Closing on 320 km and need a new driver side headlight bulb now. Truck runs great, gets good mileage, and only has rust on rear fenders, courtesy of defect. (pinch joint)

I see lots of shiny trucks on the road. Look good, but a trip to the woods in mine pays me $644. for a 192 cubic foot stacked load. Does not take long to make lots to pay for body and paint job by a pro. BTW I am hauling wood that weighs green up to 64 pounds a cubic foot. Using a mean weight of 50 pounds per cubic foot the weight I carry is 9600 pounds minimum. It rolls down the road good with that.

So my truck works when I work and plays when I play. I can say that it means as much or more to me than those of you who wash and polish yours every waking hour. BTW, four loads times $644. is over 2500 bucks and doubled with the dump trailer.

I was told Dodge trucks with electronic 4WD control have had problems with it sticking . Not mine. I use the 4WD shift mechanism several times a week. If you do not use it, you lose it applies here too.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Some like a Truck beat to death looking like a collection of scrap rolling down the Road,
just like some people do not like to bath, shave their heads and have ZZ Top Beards with tats from their ear lopes to their toe nails with CHew drool slowly oozing from their left side lip.

Each his own.

Me, I like to bathe. But it's okay if you don;t...just roll down the window, I can turn the heat up.

PS
Oh to think $622 was a lot of money again.
Wouldn't it be nice.

Last edited:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure why you would need to scratch and dent your truck to get the job done. And definitely don't want to put 9600 lbs in my 3/4 tons. My folks and I both heat with wood all winter so I have to collect a good amount of firewood all season long. So I do a fair amount of off road use into the mountains /access roads, etc. probably pulled 8000 lbs of Eucalyptus this past weekend but I used an appropriate trailer and even then didn't have the front loader just dump it in or just 'throw' large rounds into it. And it's just a trailer. it takes more time but if you gently lower the load into the truck, you'll save yourself damage to your vehicle. My truck is about 50% job site/travel trailer hauling and 50% off highway use in 4 high and 4 low but for a 5 year old truck it still looks great. I still wash it after each outing, keeps the paint looking new. Of course, I've been told I'm weird by my buddies. Or maybe I just don't get it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My truck works hard and goes off road down some roads that get nasty in the spring and fall, but it still gets a bath and I try successfully not to dent or scratch it and at the same time give it a thorough once over and fix anything I notice before the list gets too long. With the spray in liner I've had gravel, mulch sand and soil dumped into it without damage. Last one I sold looked nearly new and ran and drove as well as my new one almost 200,000 miles later. If I was going to beat the box that much I'd install a dump bed or something that looks like a dump bed without the dump part. Holds more and meant for that type of thing and If I'm using it to make my living I want to look professional. I have my delivery come in a truck covered in dents and mud I start looking for stuff leaking on my driveway and a new contractor.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've had trucks that I've put through their paces, too much weight, buried to the axles, etc. etc.

I always wash 'em up and give them a good going-through after I'm done. I also go out of my way to try to make sure the paint stays nice, INCLUDING parking way out in the parking lot away from carts and other vehicles because people are assholes. If it wasn't for the typical Ford rust in the cab corners, my last truck would have still looked brand new.

It's your truck, care for it how you like - but it'll last a LOT longer and serve you a LOT better if you take the time to take care of it.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I work my truck when needed and always keep it clean. Everytime the opportunity arises its entered in truck shows. Won a couple too. I've used it to pull (brush firetrucks) out of the mud when they got stuck. I've had it offroad rock crawling. No dents no serious scratches (that I haven't fixed as soon as I got home)
I see no need to abuse a vehicle. I learned from my elders that vehicles are tools they must be used and cared for to the highest levels of care. Meaning dont go trash it out or itll leave ya walkin home.
Anytime my dad changed a part or rebuilt a part on a vehicle it got painted before it got installed.
He had an amazing 65 Buick Skylark 2 door hard top with many trophies to show. He drove it to work every day. Take pride in your ride!!!

Blue Mule

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think this has more to do with what the OP thinks of so called "Hobby Trucks" than what we think of his. I personally don't make assumptions based on the type of vehicle people drive, house they live in, or clothes they wear. If it works for them then it works for me. Gotta get back to polishing my truck now!

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
My trucks sleeps in a garage, rarely gets driven more than once a week, and doesn't get driven in the rain. Does that make it a hobby truck?

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$644 for 1 day of cutting and loading and dumping at customers?

or
1 day cutting and loading truck
1 day splitting
1 day delivery?

big difference

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use my truck for a truck. It hauls crap, tows my 5th wheel among other trailers, etc. Its a truck. But, I keep it clean and looking new as much as possible. It's an expensive vehicle and I love it too much to let it get beat to death. Accidents happen, just like I found out I cant have my hood open and raise my garage door at the same time. But I try to fix it so it doesnt escalate into more damage.

This also goes for my govt truck. It's a 2019 but I have to take it off road as much as on road. I still keep it clean and looking good though. You can use a truck as a truck and still keep it nice. Just like guys who race their cars and beat them to death, but they look like show cars!

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I bought some 1/4" steel plate on FB marketplace drove 2 hrs to pick it up. When I got there I discovered it was on a steel coil an had a serious curvature to it. So I had the guys to flatten it out as best as possible.
I measured it and it's wasn't 1/4" but instead its 3/8" thick. 2 pcs 4'×11'
Heavy as hell but didn't squat my 2500 at alla7bff14eb1e0dbc9254dfaf103697777.jpgf08b55188cec5f6b0b8a95997bd9e9ac.jpge60385a3ad2848ee237c85d9c7747b51.jpg

Blue Mule

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Bent the tailgate while unloading the steel plate this morning.
Guess I created another project to do in the mornin0601b50f83514bf22ddf457f081e12ae.jpg840971ba050f386533dc400cef524a8c.jpg

Blue Mule

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I won't even start with the 'that'll buff out' business. looks like you might be able to straighten that once you open up the access panel.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Beat top down with a Sledge, then put a new plastic Edge trim on it.
It will be Fine.

It's a TRUCK.
Yes, try to keep it looking nice but little things like that are what gives it Character.
My tailgate has much more noticeable Dent in it.
Paint knocked off, Rust settled in and can be seen from 400 yards away, could care less.

Ain't a Rust bubble on the Fender Lip, all is good.
Think of it as Wear Creases on a nicely Ironed Shirt.

Gonna happen.
Expected even

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine is a hobby truck if you consider using it for construction work every day a hobby. I keep it clean and park away from others. I could just as easy beat the dickens out of it but I like having a nice ride. This analogy is apples to oranges though, if I was making money selling firewood I'd have me a beater truck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My truck has hauled loads of firewood, concrete block, white river rock, mulch, concrete bags, camping gear, you name it.

I use it for a truck when I have to, but it still looks showroom new. It's garage kept, washed and waxed .

I don't judge others for they care for theirs.

However, my opinion, we pay a lot of money for our trucks and equipment. Why not keep it as nice as you can as long as you can?

It does take effort and some wouldn't want to bother. That's their prerogative.

You enjoy rolling around in your beat up old **** and I'll enjoy my "hobby truck. "

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm with the majority of posts....My truck and past trucks have done their fair share of hauling, pulling and various other grunt work and comes out of snowstorms covered in white salt spray. But when I'm done it gets washed (plus waxed a few times a year). Not sure why some feel a ****** looking truck is a badge of honor but to each his own. I liken that to those who keep their desks unorganized so people think they're so busy. In this case I think it's more laziness and having a macho mentality. As if a dirty beat-up truck means your tough and cool - clean is for *******, right? Insecurity at its finest.

On that same note...The truck in my badge pictured to the left has seen more dirt, soot and abuse than most trucks ever will. And while many times it was on the go so much it didn't have a chance to be cleaned, when there was some down time we took the time to wash it. It's also about pride - not just proving how hard you work.

Last edited: