Working through power window problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318 TBI
I was surprised this morning when I took the truck out and my girlfriend tried to roll down her window and nothing happened. I tried the buttons on my door and neither of them worked. It really seemed to be from out of nowhere because they were all working fine last night.
I checked the fuse block under the dash, which I hate to do, because once I pull it out, it never wants to go back up and stay there. I didn't realize the windows were on a breaker rather than a fuse, but whatever - pretty much the same thing. I didn't have any other 30A breakers around, but I have a whole pile of 30A fuses, so I popped in a fuse for testing purposes (at least if a fuse blows, I can see inside it - can't say that for a breaker) but it didn't have any effect. No window buttons worked and the fuse didn't blow. All other electrical devices are working normally.
So now I'm stuck with only a partial understanding of the system. I think these things only have the two switch panels, a motor in each door, and a breaker with wiring in between - no other relays, fuses, etc to speak of. Does that sound right?
I assume my next step is to test the master switch? Is it possible to take these switches out without removing the door trim? And can I do all the testing with a multimeter? I don't have a basic test light.

dodge 1993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
if you take the power window motor out lmk what screws pleasse hughnews1
@aol.com get a new pow window motor from rock auto

mb1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having the exact same issue with my 86, If you figure it out let me know please.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar problem on my 03 Quad Cab 5.7, SLT 2x4. 36000km at time of purchase, I'm the second owner. At approx. 70,000kms the passenger window controls on the passenger side front door started to function intermittently. Some time after that, 80,000kms, control completely stop from the control selector on the passenger door, but I could still operate the window from the drivers side door control panel. Around 100,000's that control also failed. I investigated the driver-side door panel switch assembly and found that when I removed the switch panel from its home in the door panel the p-side window would work both from the driver-side panel and from the passenger side panel. I reassembled the d-side panel into the door panel and it once again would not operate the p-side window, nor would the p-side controls operate the p-side window again. Removed the d-side switch panel...it would function....re-install it, function would cease. Hmmmm…? I attempted to investigate the panel but could see no way to dis-assemble to inspect the actual switches nor clean them in any way, but sprayed contact cleaner in the available openings I could see...with no change. I tried a loose wiring harness connection and this worked (once again) while the panel was not installed in the door, but once installed all p-side window function stopped.

Finally I bought a new driver-side switch panel assembly and replaced it. This fixed the passenger side operations back to normal. Why I went after the driver side switch assembly was I thought everything must go through that d-side panel because the lock out function for the windows at least the rear windows (child protective logic) is operated through the d-side panel. Also, the drivers door most likely gets more action (open and close cycles). If anything was amiss it would most likely start there. I think the switch assembly was $90.00cand (but that's a guess). Sorta remember that as I'd check the price months before and thought "no freaking way am I gonna pay that much for one of those". Well the non-functioning window control finally got the better of my OCD and I replaced the switch assembly.

Words of warning: be extremely careful of how you remove the switch panels from the door panel locations. The switch panel (at least on my 03) use small tabs that locate and lock the panel into the door panel/arm rest location. Those little tabs are very easy to snap off. I broke one or two without even trying to (I don't use force on anything), breath on them and they snap off.

HTH,

T.

Last edited: