Worried about failed lifters? Read this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zebraprs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
reading this thread has been educational and the timing is great. My 2014 RAM has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks. Got a error light on the dash and read the code, it stated misfire on Cylinder 5. Also noticed great power loss under acceleration. I took it to the dealer the next day and they have been "working" with the extended warranty company. it finally got approved last Thursday so hopefully it will be done today or tomorrow.

I will ask to see if it is being fixed to 2018 specs so this does not happen again.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The bottom line is that FCA won't give a **** until a class action suit is filed. They are playing the odds. They look at how many failures against units sold. That's what they base their decision on.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

Cheers

Bob

Tim Giesin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heavy Duty 5.7's don't have MDS.FCA also states in the big 700 page printed manuals for the 1500's before 2017 that it's acceptable to use 5W-30 if 5W-20 meeting Mopars MS specs isn't available.They also state 5W-20 is the best for gas milege,nowhere do they state its the best for engine longevity and i'd hazard a guess if they thought 5W-20 was best for engine longevity they'd be touting it. Do a search on here,somebodies already posted the page from the big manual showing where they say you can use 5W-30 in a 1500's 5.7 if 5W-20 isn't available.

Tim Giesin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use Shells Rotella t6 every 4000 miles fram extra filter and pull 8500 travel trailer 150000 miles on it and I have owned my truck since it had 24000 miles on it and it runs like it did when I bought it my truck is a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4

FlyingRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter
All I can say is what gave you the right to post that on here, is this the opinion of some Rummie lab rat that actually knows anything outside the lab, what's with all of those specs is that suppose to impress us, do you yourself have any working knowledge of the internal combustion engine, and what different oil viscosities do along with additives like Lube Gard bio tech can do, have you read in detail in this forum of what we do to combat this issue, and these are Hydraulic Roller Lifters, and what's with what we're doing is no good, But I have to close with this, Opinions are like Sphincters everybody has one, keep it closed on here.

I don't even have a hemi, I just was curious. But your tone along with "what gave him the right to post that on here?" I'd say the First Amendment and the rules of this forum. This is a forum, he's posting information he thinks would be helpful or informative. Just because it doesn't fit with your experience or your opinion (sphincter) doesn't mean it should be banned. He quoted his source, and he's not publishing this to a technical journal but to a thread in Ramforum.com, which by nearly everyone's admission is full of opinion. Granted, some opinions are based on fact and experience, others not so much.
Maybe I stepped into some ongoing fued between you two, so my apologies to disrupt the flow. If you're upset you paid good money for a truck with bum lifters, then take that up with Ran or your dealership. I'd be upset too. But bashing a guy for bringing another opinion to an open conversation seems out of place in this forum.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My truck has always had a soft ticking sound at start up, for maybe 2-3 seconds, then goes away. Yesterday i started it and the ticking was loud, and didn’t go away. I opened the hood and it seemed to be coming from the driver’s side, but I couldn’t crawl around to investigate further. So after about 5 minutes i shut it off, then about 30 minutes later i started it up and no ticking whatsoever. I drove down the road and back, still nothing.
I’m going to get it in to my mechanic as soon as i can, hoping maybe it’s the manifold bolts I’ve read about.

If it’s the lifters, from what I’ve read in forums here and YouTube, I’ll be lucky if i caught it early enough that it hasn’t damaged the engine to the point it needs to be replaced. I’ve also read it’s important to find a mechanic who knows about this issue and has enough experience to do it right. Luckily my guy is honest enough to say when it’s something he’s not familiar with, and can refer me to someone who is.

My truck only has 64000 miles, and is just about perfect inside and out. I’ve read so many stories about this it’s ridiculous FCA isn’t stepping up to make this right. I’ve taken great care of this truck, with regular service, mostly at the Ram dealership where I bought it 8 years ago. I’m always proud when people see it and can’t believe it’s almost 10 years old. I also believe we as owners should not be expected to use special oil, oil filter, additives above and beyond what’s in owner’s manual (otherwise FCA should have issued a TSB, and advised owners what oil, additives or whatever to use instead of what’s in the manual, but I’m sure the lawyers told them that would be admitting there is a problem)
I’ve also read wildly different prices on this fix- from $900 to $4000, to new engines. This really wasn’t what i had planned for the money we’re apparently about to get- that was going directly toward the tax bill we owe! (Kinda funny Fed govt is depositing $$ into same account they’ll take $$ out of 3 months later.)
All i can say is thank God for forums like these with so many guys (& gals) to make people aware of things like this! I know just about enough about cars to get myself in trouble, that’s about it.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is something I found when looking to see which company makes the best performance engine oil filters.

Champion Laboratories, Inc. is the Private Label Supplier for Over 30 Private Label Automotive and Heavy-Duty Filter Lines.

We are a producer and distributor of a full spectrum of filtration products, from premium retail brands that are sold to many of the nation’s top automotive retailers to world-class, competitively priced products supporting nationally known private brands.

Champion Laboratories offers a full range of OE filtration solutions including air, oil (spin-on and cartridge), cabin air and fuel. Many of the world’s top vehicle and engine manufacturers rely on our quality and expertise for their OE filtration needs.

Our products are the preferred installed and aftermarket filters for several major manufacturers in the automotive, motorcycle, marine, heavy duty, small engine and powersports industries.

The AMSOIL oil filter is basically the same as the Royal Purple extended life oil filter. The only difference is that the AMSOIL filters cost more and don’t sport a fancy purple paint job. If you need further proof, they are both made by Champion Labs.

Personally I have always used Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic engine oil filters on my 07' Quad Cab 1500, 5.7L Hemi.

luckydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry if I'm late mentioning this. Did anybody notice the report was about Isky brand solid roller lifters? They obviously came out of some kind of performance engine, not one of our trucks. I don't think they even make replacement lifters for a Gen3 hemi.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Owner's Manual states:

Engine Oil – 5.7L Engine For 1500 trucks:
RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI use 5W-20

Engine Oil – 5.7L Engine For 2500/3500 trucks operating under a gross combined weight rating greater than 14,000 lbs/(6,350 kg.):
Ram 2500 5.7 HEMI use 5W-30
Ram 3500 5.7 HEMI use 5W-30

For the same 5.7 HEMI V8 why the difference in oil... 20 vs 30 ?

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not the same engine. One has MDS the other does not.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Hey man take a ****** or something,you're getting a bit carried away.Everybodies entitled to their opinion,whether you agree or not. The thread started with a copy and paste link to another thread,you don't have to agree with the other linked thread,but to come unglued on the messenger isn't right either.
Completely agree, it opened up a good discussion, this just sounds personal.

Elderberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just some thoughts from a different perspective. My bonifide’s come from 41 years in the heavy duty diesel manufacturing world - at least half of that managing manufacturing engineering groups and manufacturing facilities. I’m sure there are probably design engineers around here who could explain this better. Engineers design a product to a “B Life”. For example, if they design to a B-Life of 10% @ 100,000 miles then it means that they expect 10% failures between birth and 100k. I don’t know what the designers target was for B Life of lifter rollers - which is apparently the item that fails - but I do know one thing that is universally true throughout industry. And that is, bean counters (accounting) measures and tracks everything. If something isn’t meeting design failure rates the shtf. But that doesn’t mean it gets fixed. Some issues actually cost more to fix than it is worth - or more time than available - or would require other parts to be redesigned too, all at a cost - or even would require a completely new multiple million dollar machining process - or a totally different metallurgy in the material, which would also require a different machining process - etc., etc... It can get very very complex. But it would sure be interesting to be a little mouse in the corner of the conference room when accounting, design and manufacturing discuss this one. My guess..?? It’s went on a long time so it’s probably right where they decided to leave it... ‍♂️♂️

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Some of the content in this thread has been removed due to personal attacks being posted which is not allowed on this forum.

Please remain civil with each other, gents.

How about you start on the first page MD,there's a post on the first page that isn't needed either.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Well I say run 5w30 in a high quality oil (like Redline, Amsoil or PUP) and good quality oil filter change it sooner than later so it stays good and clean and idle the motor as little as possible and drive it.
Anything after that is going to be what its going to be.

:) ok lock the thread now....lol

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would think if the rule is not to idle a LOT of work trucks with this motor or the 5.7 would have to be lining up for repairs. They get run hard. Idle long. And don't get warmed up at all. Who knows about oil and filter quality. Some businesses I know don't let a work truck get to 100k. So they don't care about how they get treated.

Anyone seen/have the extended mopar warranty you can purchase?

https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/

Heck the first option is under 12 k miles and you can then extend like 7 years unlimited miles. That's about the cost some people quote for fixing lifters. I'm thinking why not have 18 months to pay for it do it now and then I can live worry free for 12ish years and unlimited miles. Nobody mentioned this lifetime warranty when I bought my truck. Seems like it's not an option but 7 years on top of factory would be fine with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think if the rule is not to idle a LOT of work trucks with this motor or the 5.7 would have to be lining up for repairs. They get run hard. Idle long. And don't get warmed up at all. Who knows about oil and filter quality. Some businesses I know don't let a work truck get to 100k. So they don't care about how they get treated.

Pretty much all the local lifter repairs I've heard of are work trucks, particularly oil field trucks where they idle pretty much all day long.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963