Worried about failed lifters? Read this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s a QC issue IMO. Otherwise they would all fail at a similar lifetime. Not disagreeing that rollers are a demanding design, but anything mechanical has a finite design life for a particular percentage to survive a designated amount of usage. You can design for a 100k or a million. And you can hold your suppliers to a certain amount of deviation. I don’t think I’d be happy with the performance of an engine built to a million mile half life personally. Nor do I really need it to outlast the body. But when you have too many outliers experiencing that type of wear prior to 100k it looks like too much variation in the lifter quality.

This is it. POOR quality control by the part vendors MoPar is using.
Consider the quality issues when the first 3rd gens came out. I had a '04 hemi Durango that slung a rod for no damn good reason.
Spring failures, lifter failures, pushrods out of spec. Since things things have gotten much better but problems have not gone away.
As far a roller lifters; they have been used for in MoPar V8s from the factory since the 80s. The common thread I see with qualify is when they shut down the American production and moved production to Mexico. I have a pix of the hole in the hemi block and right next to it is says "hecho en Mexico"

blockside.jpg

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m 1.5 hours in (3/4 finished) with the 540Rat blog. Amazing how smart this guy is. But stumbled upon this.

Those of you persistent about using 5W30 to try and prevent lifter failure are wasting your time.

Assuming based off his analysis all we can do is just GUESS when a lifter is about to fail and get it replaced before it causes serious engine damage?

He does mention that 5W30 could potentially assist in engine noise due to being a bit thicker, but apparently we can’t do anything to prevent lifter failure and it’s good to know idling isn’t a bad thing for them! I thought idling was bad for Hemi lifters.

In the end, if under warranty, we’ll still be questioned and potentially blamed for this due to oil or change interval etc etc, but the truth of the matter is, OIL/Filter play NO ROLE IN LIFTER FAILURE!

00a20abc75a8391fdd76d4636b9c8c21.jpg

5W30 isn't going to make any difference in keeping lifters alive. From what I've read, the rollers fail, then wipe out the cam lobe. That falls under a likely problen due to an additive designed to improve oil shearing under load. (film strength) I'm thinking that a lower level of ZDDP (zinc phosphate) is the likely culprit. Maybe or maybe not. Reading all the accolades of Red-Line oil, I'd guess the reason for that brand's apparent success would be an additive; perhaps ZDDP.

My next door neighbor is into her second Hemi Ram (2016)... and has had zero problems with this truck or the prior one (2012).

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
5W30 isn't going to make any difference in keeping lifters alive. From what I've read, the rollers fail, then wipe out the cam lobe. That falls under a likely problen due to an additive designed to improve oil shearing under load. (film strength) I'm thinking that a lower level of ZDDP (zinc phosphate) is the likely culprit. Maybe or maybe not. Reading all the accolades of Red-Line oil, I'd guess the reason for that brand's apparent success would be an additive; perhaps ZDDP.

My next door neighbor is into her second Hemi Ram (2016)... and has had zero problems with this truck or the prior one (2012).

I’m just gonna quote some more from the Rat (even though it gets a lot of hate, but I don’t specialize in this field so I can’t speak for myself). Literally most of his blog is about zinc. Question is, what is the ZDDP ppm number in Redline?

“A high level of zinc/phos is simply no guarantee of providing sufficient wear protection. And to make matters even worse, excessively high levels of zinc/phos can actually “cause” DAMAGE your engine, rather than “prevent” it. Motor Oil Industry testing has found that motor oils with more than 1,400 ppm ZDDP, INCREASED long-term wear. And it was also found that motor oils with more than 2,000 ppm ZDDP started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling (pitting and flaking). The ZDDP value is simply the average of the zinc and the phosphorus values, then rounded down to the nearest 100 ppm (parts per million).”

“And ZDDP DOES NOT build up on parts like some sort of plating process. ZDDP simply DOES NOT work that way. ZDDP that is present in the oil, is activated by heat and pressure, which is precisely what the oil is subjected to during my oil testing procedure. My testing DOES NOT discount ZDDP levels either. ZDDP is part of the additive package, and the additive package is what contains the extreme pressure anti-wear components. You cannot test oil film strength without also automatically testing the ZDDP included in that oil at the same time. Since ZDDP is an integral part of an oil’s additive package, and the additive package is primarily what creates an oil’s film strength, the ZDDP that is present, will be working as well as its chemical composition allows, during any film strength testing.”

Rug_Trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
1993 D-350 CTD dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Comments like this get old. Just Stupid.

It is what it is. The truth sucks. This isn't the only Mopar forum I am on. People I've known for years (2001to be exact) post their experiences I keep track of the good and the bad.

And who is buying into FCA? Is it Renault? That name just screams "quality" just like it did in the 80's when Chrysler hooked up with them.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
It is what it is. The truth sucks. This isn't the only Mopar forum I am on. People I've known for years (2001to be exact) post their experiences I keep track of the good and the bad.

And who is buying into FCA? Is it Renault? That name just screams "quality" just like it did in the 80's when Chrysler hooked up with them.

Correct it was a stupid comment glad we can agree on that.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think if the rule is not to idle a LOT of work trucks with this motor or the 5.7 would have to be lining up for repairs. They get run hard. Idle long. And don't get warmed up at all. Who knows about oil and filter quality. Some businesses I know don't let a work truck get to 100k. So they don't care about how they get treated.

Anyone seen/have the extended mopar warranty you can purchase?

https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/

Heck the first option is under 12 k miles and you can then extend like 7 years unlimited miles. That's about the cost some people quote for fixing lifters. I'm thinking why not have 18 months to pay for it do it now and then I can live worry free for 12ish years and unlimited miles. Nobody mentioned this lifetime warranty when I bought my truck. Seems like it's not an option but 7 years on top of factory would be fine with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's a big negative there - the 7 years starts from day 1 IF you are the original purchaser OR the vehicle is a CPO bought vehicle. So in those cases you only get a max of 4 extra years on some things and less on powertrain as the factory warranty is longer on the powertrain - however you do get the unlimited miles.

The Used car 7/unlimited (if available) extended service contract does indeed extend it 7 years as it's clock starts on the day you bought the used vehicle. (again not a Cerified PreOwned vehicle)

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
That's a big negative there - the 7 years starts from day 1 IF you are the original purchaser OR the vehicle is a CPO bought vehicle. So in those cases you only get a max of 4 extra years on some things and less on powertrain as the factory warranty is longer on the powertrain - however you do get the unlimited miles.

The Used car 7/unlimited (if available) extended service contract does indeed extend it 7 years as it's clock starts on the day you bought the used vehicle. (again not a Cerified PreOwned vehicle)

Thanks for the tips. I'm just considering some type of extended warranty. This is my first new truck maybe only who know. I would love to see it in my family 20 years and see 200k. If I can guarantee 10-15 years of no worries that would be nice.

The truck is just for the weekends so it won't get a ton of miles so if I own it 20 years it might not get 150 in that time

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Thanks for the tips. I'm just considering some type of extended warranty. This is my first new truck maybe only who know. I would love to see it in my family 20 years and see 200k. If I can guarantee 10-15 years of no worries that would be nice.

The truck is just for the weekends so it won't get a ton of miles so if I own it 20 years it might not get 150 in that time

You’re in the same shoes as me for the most part. I did like 7-8k in 2 years. I’m gonna have this baby until she rusts out (10-15 years from what I hear and see)... But I did opt for the Mopar lifetime max care warranty. Of course I’ve done things to the truck, but they’d have to prove my mod affected said part. Also if a part or work costs more than the current value of the vehicle, they’ll just payout the warranty and it’s null and void at that point. Think I’ve lost $30k to depreciation already in 2 years based off tax paperwork, so in another 4-10 years if tranny goes they’ll prob just cut me a check and warranty gone and time for a new truck...At least that’s how I take it. Honestly one of the main reasons I opted for Ram was because the lifetime warranty. When did you purchase the truck? I may be able to refer you to the guy who got me the lifetime warranty (he works in another state), can’t remember the amount but a couple grand it was and separate payments from your actual vehicle note. I have no regrets and looking forward to it being useful in the far out future.

Kim Spellman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi v8
It’s fixed in 2018s and up
Just had #7 go bad in my 2015. They thought it was the rt manifold because the left had just needed replaced. They didnt believe the girl. Lol . When it was the lifter and told them the cam was bad they kinda laughed. Then they offered me a job when they found out i was right. Hope it doesnt happen again.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You’re in the same shoes as me for the most part. I did like 7-8k in 2 years. I’m gonna have this baby until she rusts out (10-15 years from what I hear and see)... But I did opt for the Mopar lifetime max care warranty. Of course I’ve done things to the truck, but they’d have to prove my mod affected said part. Also if a part or work costs more than the current value of the vehicle, they’ll just payout the warranty and it’s null and void at that point. Think I’ve lost $30k to depreciation already in 2 years based off tax paperwork, so in another 4-10 years if tranny goes they’ll prob just cut me a check and warranty gone and time for a new truck...At least that’s how I take it. Honestly one of the main reasons I opted for Ram was because the lifetime warranty. When did you purchase the truck? I may be able to refer you to the guy who got me the lifetime warranty (he works in another state), can’t remember the amount but a couple grand it was and separate payments from your actual vehicle note. I have no regrets and looking forward to it being useful in the far out future.

I bought it just under 4 weeks ago. Saturday is 4 weeks. I hate to think that in 3 years or so it's worth only a 1/4 of the price paid.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I bought it just under 4 weeks ago. Saturday is 4 weeks. I hate to think that in 3 years or so it's worth only a 1/4 of the price paid.

I got a 1 of 2k made in the hydro blue for 2018 sport model and that’s my depreciation apparently lol but that is according to other factors not my mileage which is extremely important. You should still be good to contact the guy. Shoot me a message I’ll find his info for you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just had #7 go bad in my 2015. They thought it was the rt manifold because the left had just needed replaced. They didnt believe the girl. Lol . When it was the lifter and told them the cam was bad they kinda laughed. Then they offered me a job when they found out i was right. Hope it doesnt happen again.

You and my wife would get along great Kim,my wife is a pretty decent gearhead and one hell'va drag racer,by the sounds of it you and her would be friends lol.
Don't take no **** girl,good for you telling them what to look for.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I am the same way, I expect this truck to last many years. I was lucky enough to get the Mopar Maxcare Lifetime/unlimited while it was still available on my 2016 and for a very good price.

I had it rustproofed and undercoated as well to help prevent rust here in the salt belt otherwise it would never make it the 15-20 yr (or until gas engines are outlawed) that I plan to use it.

Curtamous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lifters as routine maintenance items... WTG Ram! :banghead:
Preventative maintenance in the extreme I would think.. Don't think anyone would adapt this logic

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963