Worried About the DPF? Read This. Replacing The DPF May Become a Thing of the Past

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I just read this just published Diesel Forum.og article on Renewable Diesel Fuel. Anyone here have any knowledge about this, where it is available, etc? Thanks!
"After running Renewable Diesel in our vehicles for a while, I noticed that I was not taking my trucks out of service for routine maintenance as often as before the switch. When I was using other fuels, I had to take the trucks out to do a DPF service every 6 to 8 months. We’ve been using Neste MY for about a year, and we have never had to clean them yet.

Gustavo Deleon, vice president, 18 Trucking

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Moving to CA ?
No, but I wrote to all of the Arizona Legislative Representatives urging them to act on making this fuel available. When I was a young man we could clear as crystal see all the way across the Phoenix Valley to the Superstition Mountains--60 miles away. Not today. The skies over Phoenix are now a depressing yellow-brown

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Rotterdam renewable diesel refinery in the Netherlands....

rotterdam-nexbtl-plant_0.jpg

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Renewable Diesel is just the proper way to process biodiesel by turning it into something usable and good and not an annoyance that sucks (BioDiesel). It typically has a cetane north of 60 and runs clean, but also isn't common to find here in the states. As much as we get demonized here in the US deisels are actually far easier to make "clean" than gasoline. There are multiple avenues to synthetic diesel with renewable being one of them. Gasoline, not so much as of yet unless you count corn gas....

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I have believed for a long time there’s been inadequate investment in synthetic fuel development. Use renewable wind or solar to run the production plants. Liquid combustible fuel has a much higher energy density than batteries.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
No, but I wrote to all of the Arizona Legislative Representatives urging them to act on making this fuel available. When I was a young man we could clear as crystal see all the way across the Phoenix Valley to the Superstition Mountains--60 miles away. Not today. The skies over Phoenix are now a depressing yellow-brown
Guess what? Of the over 100 members of the Arizona Legislators, guess how many of them read my email? Three. And none of the 3 replied.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Renewable Diesel is just the proper way to process biodiesel by turning it into something usable and good and not an annoyance that sucks (BioDiesel). It typically has a cetane north of 60 and runs clean, but also isn't common to find here in the states. As much as we get demonized here in the US deisels are actually far easier to make "clean" than gasoline. There are multiple avenues to synthetic diesel with renewable being one of them. Gasoline, not so much as of yet unless you count corn gas....
Not true.
Renewable diesel is not "just the proper way to process biodiesel".
Renewable diesel or biomass diesel and biodiesel are two different diesel substitutes.
Biofuels
Biodiesel is not renewable diesel

Last edited:

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Guess what? Of the over 100 members of the Arizona Legislators, guess how many of them read my email? Three. And none of the 3 replied.
I'm sensing you're not really surprised.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
not stirring the pot but am curious what is renewable about wind and solar. I dont hear much about the recycling of the panels but I HAVE seen the giant holes in the ground west of here where they are burying turbine blades after cutting them into shorter pcs. there is a finite number of hours the turbines are good for and I hear that if you see one not turning it is usually needing repair or replacement and that the price of that is too high to commit to or parts and repairmen are in short supply. last week when we had a cpl. days of an ice storm here in Texas I took a look at the ERCOT website where you can see the total grid power available and draw in real time and of course we had way more available power than demand but it was interesting to see quite a bit of wattage being produced by wind and almost none by solar except a tiny amount right in the middle part of the day. I guess it was windy in west texas but also mostly cloudy. glad we had the 65+% coming from nat gas.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not true.
Renewable diesel is not "just the proper way to process biodiesel".
Renewable diesel or biomass diesel and biodiesel are two different diesel substitutes.
Biofuels
Biodiesel is not renewable diesel

True, but also not 100% true. You can use the same feed stocks that are used to make Biodiesel to make renewable diesel. Biodiesel just aims to take a Bio feed stock and make it into FAME (Fatty Acid Methyl Ester). These Esters have all the bad qualities that folks hate about Biodiesel with some good qualities such as lubrication and cleaning abilities. Converting that same feed stock into renewable diesel nets a product that one might call a true synthetic diesel with all the qualities of good ol petro-diesel if it was hyper-refined.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I just read this just published Diesel Forum.og article on Renewable Diesel Fuel. Anyone here have any knowledge about this, where it is available, etc? Thanks!
"After running Renewable Diesel in our vehicles for a while, I noticed that I was not taking my trucks out of service for routine maintenance as often as before the switch. When I was using other fuels, I had to take the trucks out to do a DPF service every 6 to 8 months. We’ve been using Neste MY for about a year, and we have never had to clean them yet.

Gustavo Deleon, vice president, 18 Trucking

We're seeing it everywhere in San Diego. Near zero diesel smell anymore and the lie-o-meter reads the same as petro diesel on my '07 5.9 Cummins. It doesn't have the scouring action of biofuel in that concentration either. I like it. There's a company with a fleet of medium duty local delivery trucks that has seen less injector and dpf issues with it.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
True, but also not 100% true. You can use the same feed stocks that are used to make Biodiesel to make renewable diesel. Biodiesel just aims to take a Bio feed stock and make it into FAME (Fatty Acid Methyl Ester). These Esters have all the bad qualities that folks hate about Biodiesel with some good qualities such as lubrication and cleaning abilities. Converting that same feed stock into renewable diesel nets a product that one might call a true synthetic diesel with all the qualities of good ol petro-diesel if it was hyper-refined.

True. It's about 20 cents/gallon more expensive here but my truck likes it.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm buying at the 76 stations. So far the price is the same as their fossil diesel.
You say, "We're seeing it everywhere in San Diego". I've only seen it at the 76 stations, where is "everywhere"?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's that crazy cetane since most renewable diesel is north of 70. I really wish we could get it down here in Texas, but the best I can do is make sure I'm filling up on the right side of the TX LED cutoff line. In TXLED counties we at-least get mandated 48 cetane instead of the usual 40 cetane mandated minimum. If I don't dose the non TX LED fuel with HSS or similar my DPF will start soot loading unless I'm doing straight highway steady state running.