Worth the investment moving to 295/70/17 Tires? If you’ve done it, would you do it again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shilde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello jarzo,
I'm coming to Germany (sorry I speak little English). I read a lot in the forum. I have ordered a Power Wagon MY2020 and am waiting impatiently. How high is your garage? I would also like to buy higher tires (35 or 37). But I'm afraid that the power wagon is too high for my door. My garage is 85 inches.
greetings Stefan

fifthcircle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Stefan,
Stock height is about 80".
Stock tires are 33".
So, every 2" more in tire will equal 1" higher total roof height.
35's will bring you to 81"
37's will bring you to 82"

All rough estimates, but with a door of 85', you should be fine, unless you start adding suspension height.

Best to wait and measure the clearance with your actual truck and door opening though.

atexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I don't have any garage height issues, my concern is more on ride comfort and towing capacity. I had a older Tundra w/ 295/75/17 BFG KO2's. It was a crappy ride for a daily driver. I was never sure if it was the tires or the truck itself. The wife had a tahoe with 17"s that rode like a caddy. With 20"s it was a bucking bull.

I'm not opposed to a smaller tire, they still put a 17" on a 2500 RAM. More sidewall, more comfort in my opinion.

I tow a 30' TT once in awhile. My Pop swears that larger diameter tires have more towing capacity.

I got approx. 30k to go before I need to make a decision.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I don't have any garage height issues, my concern is more on ride comfort and towing capacity. I had a older Tundra w/ 295/75/17 BFG KO2's. It was a crappy ride for a daily driver. I was never sure if it was the tires or the truck itself. The wife had a tahoe with 17"s that rode like a caddy. With 20"s it was a bucking bull.

I'm not opposed to a smaller tire, they still put a 17" on a 2500 RAM. More sidewall, more comfort in my opinion.

I tow a 30' TT once in awhile. My Pop swears that larger diameter tires have more towing capacity.

I got approx. 30k to go before I need to make a decision.

I'd bet your KO2's where LTs. I had LTs on my F150, they were great to tow with as they did not wallo around under load, but daily driving you feel just about every ant path in the road. I will struggle when its time to replace the tire on mine as I truly love the Cooper Discover ATW +4 for a true 4 season tire. However, to get it in the 17in rim size I want I'd have to go to LTs again. As i do not tow much I would rather the ride of a P Rate or passenger tire. This is I want my next tires to be the same height as stock but wider. The one issue I am facing is the factory rim width. I am looking to go from the 265/75R17 factory tire to a 285/70R17 the difference is only 0.1in in height, but nearly a full inch in width 10.4in vs 11.2in wide. But I have read that an 11+inch wide tire requires like an 8&1/2 to 9in wide rim to fit correctly. Anyone have any real world info on this?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd bet your KO2's where LTs. I had LTs on my F150, they were great to tow with as they did not wallo around under load, but daily driving you feel just about every ant path in the road. I will struggle when its time to replace the tire on mine as I truly love the Cooper Discover ATW +4 for a true 4 season tire. However, to get it in the 17in rim size I want I'd have to go to LTs again. As i do not tow much I would rather the ride of a P Rate or passenger tire. This is I want my next tires to be the same height as stock but wider. The one issue I am facing is the factory rim width. I am looking to go from the 265/75R17 factory tire to a 285/70R17 the difference is only 0.1in in height, but nearly a full inch in width 10.4in vs 11.2in wide. But I have read that an 11+inch wide tire requires like an 8&1/2 to 9in wide rim to fit correctly. Anyone have any real world info on this?

heck no, you dont need a wide wheel like that at all. Hell, thats a stock size tire on the power wagon which is an 8 inch wide wheel.

The tire manufacturer will give their width recommendation for each tire. Most 315/12.5” wide tires only need a 8-8.5” wide wheel.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello jarzo,
I'm coming to Germany (sorry I speak little English). I read a lot in the forum. I have ordered a Power Wagon MY2020 and am waiting impatiently. How high is your garage? I would also like to buy higher tires (35 or 37). But I'm afraid that the power wagon is too high for my door. My garage is 85 inches.
greetings Stefan

yes i think the best thing is wait to get the truck then drive in the garage and see how much bigger tires you can use

Shilde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes i think the best thing is wait to get the truck then drive in the garage and see how much bigger tires you can use

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I will wait for the monster to be delivered. :)

Mythanar

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
For all the threads about putting non-stock tire size on PW, I still do not quite understand how do you guys test the clearance? Do you really put on 35" (or 36" or whatever) that look good, then drive around, and declare "no rubbing"? Or there is some test protocol I missed reading all these threads?

When you have non-stock size, do you actually load the truck to rated payload, put it up the RTI ramp, verify the tire clearance with maxed out articulation on the front (to the limiters) while maximizing steering input in either direction at the same time - to check for rubbing at the extremes? Do you also do max articulation test with rear tires - *with* U-class snow chains on?

And if you're not doing those things, how do you know if, after state trooper makes you put tire chains on one of the mountain pass checkpoints, your chains combined with large tires combined with deep pothole will not make your brake lines and wheel wells into finely shredded spaghetti?

Not criticizing, but genuinely curious at the risk profile.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For all the threads about putting non-stock tire size on PW, I still do not quite understand how do you guys test the clearance? Do you really put on 35" (or 36" or whatever) that look good, then drive around, and declare "no rubbing"? Or there is some test protocol I missed reading all these threads?

When you have non-stock size, do you actually load the truck to rated payload, put it up the RTI ramp, verify the tire clearance with maxed out articulation on the front (to the limiters) while maximizing steering input in either direction at the same time - to check for rubbing at the extremes? Do you also do max articulation test with rear tires - *with* U-class snow chains on?

And if you're not doing those things, how do you know if, after state trooper makes you put tire chains on one of the mountain pass checkpoints, your chains combined with large tires combined with deep pothole will not make your brake lines and wheel wells into finely shredded spaghetti?

The amount of people out there that actually need or use chains is probably very minimal. I would reckon that most people commenting on these tire threads dont use or even know what tire chains are.

As with anything on the world wide web, take it with a grain of salt.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I could see this potentially being an issue with 37’s but there is still A LOT of clearance with 35’s. I’ve had my truck articulated a decent amount and there are inches of space all around. While I don’t have them, I’m confident I’d have no issues running chains if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mythanar

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
My 34" stock width 285 75R17 tire's chains did not clear the brake cable. Had to smash/bend in its mounting bracket.

Thank you! Now that's really concerning - will check mine (I am on stock setup). Last thing I want to get stuck in blizzard with no brakes.