Would like to hear from anyone who has tried the XTOOL D8 diagnostic service tool with their 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Looking at the D8 Chinese diagnostic tool that has been a hit with the youtube car gurus.

Anyone tried it with post 2017 RAM 1500? Theire is a special cable you need for $25 to use it with a Post 2017 and later trucks.

Interested in knowing if it supports the RAM? They list Chrysler, dodge, and Jeep on the US manufacturers page. But not RAM.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Scotty Kilmer is a brilliant business man but I wouldn't trust him with any of my vehicles.... :p Don't know about the other guy but he appears to be another shill.

Autel and Launch have been copying each other for a while now and it looks Xtool is another "clone" (as is Thinktool). Autel and Launch have models that can authenticate to access the Secure Gateway Module, seems Xtool doesn't which is why it needs the bypass cable. Maybe they copied an older version.

Sorry no hands-on experience but I'd venture it will work with RAM trucks as the chinese companies "share" their knowledge. ;)

dan carey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is very, very little support on the net for that tool. I have one that's a couple of months old. Never figured it out enough to get past scan. It has a lot of information in it if you can find a way to get it out.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looking at the D8 Chinese diagnostic tool that has been a hit with the youtube car gurus.

Anyone tried it with post 2017 RAM 1500? Theire is a special cable you need for $25 to use it with a Post 2017 and later trucks.

Interested in knowing if it supports the RAM? They list Chrysler, dodge, and Jeep on the US manufacturers page. But not RAM.

if you want one of them. You would be better to go with Autel 2024 model. It's only $100 more and gives you bi-directional. The one you list doesn't( tiny print)
Someone I know purchased it, didn't work, then they sent another "new" 2024 model, didn't work, then another "new" 2024 model.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
if you want one of them. You would be better to go with Autel 2024 model. It's only $100 more and gives you bi-directional. The one you list doesn't( tiny print)
Someone I know purchased it, didn't work, then they sent another "new" 2024 model, didn't work, then another "new" 2024 model.
Xtool D7, D8, D9 are all bidirectional. I bought the D7 during black Friday sale. Couldn't resist for 295 bucks.
Same as the D8 except D8 is cordless. I checked it out on my Ram. Scared fine & I was able to activate power windows, engine fan, heater blower. I have the capability to turn off injectors, activate trans solenoids & a lot more. And it can generate reports in pdf format. Now that the weather is warming I will experiment more with it. Typical offers for all 3 models include 3 years free updates. After that it costs 99/ year for them. If you cancel after 3 years then you can continue using with the updates you have but can't get anymore new updates.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Xtool D7, D8, D9 are all bidirectional. I bought the D7 during black Friday sale. Couldn't resist for 295 bucks.
Same as the D8 except D8 is cordless. I checked it out on my Ram. Scared fine & I was able to activate power windows, engine fan, heater blower. I have the capability to turn off injectors, activate trans solenoids & a lot more. And it can generate reports in pdf format. Now that the weather is warming I will experiment more with it. Typical offers for all 3 models include 3 years free updates. After that it costs 99/ year for them. If you cancel after 3 years then you can continue using with the updates you have but can't get anymore new updates.

I was just referring to one he linked.

My experience with that brand is zero. Only information is from friend who had a lot issues with it.

1707514222924.png

shopman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the D8 and it works with my 2015 it does bi-directional I have it for other Cars I have been happy with it. as far as authenticate to access the Secure Gateway Module I I thing you have to pay FCA to do that Pretty Sure thats how Snapon work.