Would you buy a 2018 this month or wait for a 2019 in spring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steven_sbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you haven't had a chance to read my introduction, I'm looking to buy a new Longhorn 1500 in the next few weeks. While doing my research, I found that the new 2019 Ram will be introduced at the Detroit Auto Show in January. So based on the rumors and spy shots and whatever additional information you well informed people know, would you buy your new 1500 this month or wait until January to see what's coming up? Would you want to be one of the first to own a new redesign with all of it's possible problems? Are the new features worth the wait until spring for production to start up? Does anyone know any inside information? Thanks...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd wait for the new one regardless of which model you choose. If you love the new one, get a new one. If you love the 4th gen, leverage the fact there's a new one to get an even better deal.

I don't like first model years for vehicles generally, but the Ram looks pretty evolutionary instead of revolutionary.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since your this close go ahead and wait, the incentives will just get better as the months go by. I bought my 2017 last June because I never buy a first run new design vehicles.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
While I am not much of a fan of the new design (at least what I can tell so far) I would still wait for the full unavailing to get all the specs and really see the truck. Less than 2 months out is not a long wait.

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, might as well wait since we're less than 2 months out...whether you get a 2018/2019 will become clear when you see the new look and price tag.

I ordered a 2018 two months ago because I needed a vehicle before the Winter sank its fangs and, because, interested as I was in the 2019, I didn't want to wait for the announcement and then another year for any major bugs to be worked out of it ( I was too excited to get my first truck! ). While I would've loved getting some of the new perks, I didn't want to pay more than I was already looking at for a 2018 Night Edition, and I doubt the 2019 will be less expensive than the 2018s.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You’re just a few months away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
I also would wait to see the full specs on the new one. From what I've heard we may see them on the lot before the auto show has time to end. They are building the new model at a different plant that is ready to start pumping out trucks.

Last edited:

RAM-NJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I’m liking the 19 interior, but the exterior is too soft looking. Will take some time to get used to it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
If you like the 18 Buy the 18. I will say this...you are NOT going to be able to buy a 58k truck for 43k in 2019. Your getting a lot of truck for the money right now. I believe the only improvements you will see in the 2019 will be in the technology area (blind spot monitoring, radar cruise, lane keep assist, etc...) For me that’s not why I bought a truck. Plus like others have said you will deal with ‘growing pains’ on the new model.

Reactions: DVC

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Sweet deals on '17's now. All depends on why you want/need a truck. To me, a truck is a truck. Not art, not a race car, a truck. You may be entirely different. Remember Windows 95? LOL.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

axhoaxho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vehicles nowadays are so complex.

Jay Leno once said something like, "Last year's old-tech is better than first year's new-tech."

I agreed.

I am sure the new 5th Generation RAM will be nice; yet, I will give it at least a couple years to sort out any kinks. Just to be sure.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents! ! BUT being a first run and depending what they changed you may have more surprise's then expected!:crazy: BUT today most cars/trucks are well made with few issues. Some no matter what year just suck lol So if you have to have the latest and newest buy the 19 ! If you want to save alot of$$$ go with the 2018 as they will be really trying to dump them so you should score a good deal! So read the specs on both and get what you want ,either way you will be happy :)

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got an amazing deal on a 17 I'm happy with it based on the soy photos of the new model

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m a tech freak, so I’m buying a truck because of the fact it’s a truck, and all the features it comes with, that’s the “right way” for me. But for 90% of truck owners, they buy it and use it for towing a hauling, which I don’t (which is what a truck is made for anyways). Therefore I’m interested in the new features and so on. To each their own. Either way, you’re so close to the unveiling so if the 2019 even sparks an interest for you why not wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would get an 18. Dealers will be giving huge incentives to move these off their lots once the 19s arrive. There is really nothing that great on the new trucks to wait for. A twin turbo Pentastar would be great, but we likely won't see this until later. Regarding tech, if you get an 18 with the 8.4AN, you will already be getting the best infotainment system in a truck, IMO. UConnect is a much better system than competitors'.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I echo most other thoughts here. Wait for the 2019s to hit, and then decide which you like better.

Turbo Pentastars and maybe a turbo inline six are rumored, but they may or may not be available on launch. For example, the new Jeep Wrangler was just unveiled, but one of the three engine choices (the same Ecodiesel thats available in our trucks) won't be available for a while.

Also, I do agree with Jeff CA on the UConnect. The 8.4 UConnect is one of the best systems out there, although there are more now that are getting better/closer to it. But that is also a matter of personal opinion. It may also be somewhat moot, as the systems available in some of the 2018s, and I bet all of the 2019s, will be able to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I'm waiting for the 19 by the looks of it they are finally upping the payload (6 bolt wheels) capacity as I tow and sure would like that cushion in the payload

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I would think there will be good end of year sales on 18’s and possibly better on 2017’s. Are you against getting a 2017....basically the same truck