Would you buy a WDH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There really is no pat answer to the question asked simply because of the number of variables involved starting with the the boat's power type, location, size of fuel tanks, waste disposal system, and on board fresh water, if any. Then comes the biggie with boats, hull type. Some hull designs create lift which can result in a major change in how a trailer may behave at different speeds.

In simple terms weight alone is not the only consideration to be addressed when towing a boat.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I tow a ~6000# travel trailer 5-6K miles per year in the Intermountain West. The standard for TT's is 10%-12% tongue weight. When a TT gets back heavy there is no sway control that will alleviate it. Maybe slowing down will help. The OP may just be able to load the front of the boat a bit more and be perfectly OK. if he senses any problems then it would be time to look for a solution. WDH's also shift some of the weight back to the trailer axles and that may not be desired either on an aluminum trailer.

Jerseybob175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After a great deal of homework, I just ordered the Andersen WDH with built in anti sway system.
I will be towing a 7 x 16 dual axle rear ramp with a GVWR of 7,000 and a tongue weight of 775 lbs. with my 2017 4x4 crew cab ( 5.7 hemi, tow package, electric brakes and 3.92 trans).
I also added the airlift 5000 airbag system for a decent ride

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't pulled the boat anywhere since getting the Ram. I have a boat that's 4500 pounds dry. It'll often have 100 gallons of gas, and giant pile of whatever **** my family puts in there. Pulling with a 1500 4x4 5.7 with 3.92s. All stock tires and suspension. Do you guys that haul all the time think I should invest in a WDH?

First thing to do is hook up to the boat and see how it tows. If it feels sketchy, then start doing your homework as to what type of wdh you can even put on that trailer.

You may not need one at all.