Would you guys keep or sell this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OGlarry29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I have a 2018 ram 1500 with the 5.7. Got it with just over 100k miles, I now have 130k on it. Truck had the transmission replaced under warranty for jerky shifting, although later it developed the same symptoms, and after doing a tune up it went back to running like new, so I'm almost positive my old tranny was not bad at all. Other than that, truck has been great, replaced manifold bolts on one side and now the other side has a tick that goes away when truck is warm. My question is if you guys think is a good call to keep the truck or should I try to trade it in for something with less mileage now the truck is running fine. Since I'm out of factory warranty and only counting with the limited coverage of an aftermarket extended warranty. I still owe about 24k on it, and I could easily afford twice as much in car payment at the moment, but that would be only to give myself some peace of mind knowing I have less miles and factory warranty.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Based on a quick look at what a used 2018 1500 5.7 with 100K+ miles, you are very close to owing about what the truck is worth. TX is different than NJ, likely a better truck market so that helps. The difference is the 30K over 100K miles and the cosmetic condition which you don't describe. Fair cosmetic condition can really ding value, then you'll owe more than it's worth. Twice the payment is twice the debt. You can afford it "at the moment" but those moments can change. If you trade it in, you'll be financing almost all of the new truck unless you ante up with a pretty good down payment. My advice is if you can pop a $15K-$20K downpayment plus your truck as the trade-in (the dealer will payoff the loan with the value of the trade), get the new truck. That way you don't risk going upside-down (owing more than its worth) on the old truck and the downpayment ensures you won't be upside-down on the new truck and you'll have the factory warranty. If you can't swing the down, don't increase your debt; drive your current truck as long as you can.
That's the best fiscal advice for you IMO.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I would consider a number of factors:

1) How do you feel about risk?
2) What's your ability and appetite to repair (or have repaired) when something goes awry? I personally like working on my vehicles, but others don't. Paying a shop can get real expensive ..quick.
3) Economic position (sounds like you can afford repairs)
4) Back-up vehicles you can drive.
5) Your truck is at the mileage where you might still be able to get decent $$ for a trade. Once you get to 140k or 150k mi, you're going to see a greater drop-off in price.

My Ram has 171k mi and it's been a really good truck. Real reliable. It's had a lot of highway miles ...like yours. Mine doesn't use oil, and drives nice and tight. There have been several guys who've gotten up over 200k w/o too many problems. Then, others have had one problem after another, incl a bad cam that takes out the engines. If the engine in my tk unexpectedly blows up, I won't be tickled, but I have other vehicles I can drive, and it's not going to kill me. Would you be scrambling if your truck was down a month awaiting a new $8k/$9k engine? Chances are it won't happen, but you never know.

Summary:
Most owners these days don't have the stomach for repairs or dealing with mechanical problems. If you do, and you really like it, hang onto it another year (or two). If not, you're probably better off starting the 'looking' process and if it takes you a couple months to find exactly what you're looking for, then you have some mileage cushion.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Check what your truck is worth at
carvana, carmax, Vroom, TrueCar, etc.

Then check used vehicles that are within 2 years old

Check new vehicle sales

Take into consideration, some manufacturers will be making electric cars & trucks in 2024, you may not have a choice of a gas powered vehicle
There will be some smart manufactures, that will make functional Hybrids

Right now, i think new vehicles are too costly
I may buy a left over 2022 in a couple of months

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello, I have a 2018 ram 1500 with the 5.7. Got it with just over 100k miles, I now have 130k on it. Truck had the transmission replaced under warranty for jerky shifting, although later it developed the same symptoms, and after doing a tune up it went back to running like new, so I'm almost positive my old tranny was not bad at all. Other than that, truck has been great, replaced manifold bolts on one side and now the other side has a tick that goes away when truck is warm. My question is if you guys think is a good call to keep the truck or should I try to trade it in for something with less mileage now the truck is running fine. Since I'm out of factory warranty and only counting with the limited coverage of an aftermarket extended warranty. I still owe about 24k on it, and I could easily afford twice as much in car payment at the moment, but that would be only to give myself some peace of mind knowing I have less miles and factory warranty.

Depends on you. If it was me. I would sell or trade it. I prefer new.
Ram right now, is offering low rates for financing and/or cash back on the 2022s.

New one could have issues. So always chance of going either way.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I think you’ve already answered your own question by stating a few times the mileage, and warranty running out.

Me…. I’d keep it. But then, its rare for me to sell a vehicle… it’s in my blood.

For you, I get the sense you’d have more peace of mind by selling :waytogo:

OP
OP
O

OGlarry29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you guys for all your input. In my case, peace of mind and factory warranty was my priority. I spent a few weeks looking for the perfect truck and I think I made the right choice by trading it in for a brand new tundra with warranty and maintenance plan for 80k miles (including major maintenance) Of course my payment went up, but it would've been about the same for a used truck, out of warranty, and no maintenance. Overall price for all the specs that came with it was about 55k plus tax and negative equity on my old truck, but interest rate was only 2.8% so in my mind it only made sense. I plan on keeping the truck for as long as it lasts and hopefully it lasts as long as their reputation says. I was worried about making the wrong decision but after looking at my finances I was spending way more than my monthly payment on unnecessary stuff. Thank you so much for your advice and I'm happy and less worried now! although I can't deny I miss the roar of my hemi every morning

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Based on what you stated, the items that are important to you, I'd say you made a good choice. :waytogo: It doesn't look like trucks are going to get cheaper or easier to get ..for a while. Now you don't (or shouldn't) have to worry much about future issues. At least for a long while.

Best of luck with your new tk!!