Would you pay monthly for certain features

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm sure you are correct. But you're missing the point. I get a heck of a discount by having the active subscription.
No argument there, basically you're getting the service for free or close to it so yes that is the best reason yet to subscribe. Does your insurance want proof of having it?

skates15

Reaction score
Honestly, the remote start subscription is not a good example to use. First, this is a service that costs the manufacturer. Would you prefer they make it free and recoup their costs by increasing the cost of the vehicle for everyone?

A better example would be a subscription to activate a feature like HUD or 360 video. I recall some EU company was going in this direction, maybe BMW?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Honestly, the remote start subscription is not a good example to use. First, this is a service that costs the manufacturer. Would you prefer they make it free and recoup their costs by increasing the cost of the vehicle for everyone?

A better example would be a subscription to activate a feature like HUD or 360 video. I recall some EU company was going in this direction, maybe BMW?
How is it a cost for the manufacturer? It's been a free feature for years, at least the within 50 ft of the vehicle. Now granted if you want to start your truck from the next town over, that's something you will need to pay for but just to remote start should be free. The app they're pushing now is bullcrap. I get the sales pitch in email all the time. Pay the subscription for our app so we can tell you when it's time to come overpay us for services that you don't really need.:deal:

skates15

Reaction score
How is it a cost for the manufacturer? It's been a free feature for years, at least the within 50 ft of the vehicle. Now granted if you want to start your truck from the next town over, that's something you will need to pay for but just to remote start should be free. The app they're pushing now is bullcrap. I get the sales pitch in email all the time. Pay the subscription for our app so we can tell you when it's time to come overpay us for services that you don't really need.:deal:
I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the app driven remote start, not the FOB. Of course a FOB shouldn't be a subscription, but the app service using satellite is. Most of these posts are regarding the app service.

skates15

Reaction score

How is it a cost for the manufacturer? It's been a free feature for years, at least the within 50 ft of the vehicle. Now granted if you want to start your truck from the next town over, that's something you will need to pay for but just to remote start should be free. The app they're pushing now is bullcrap. I get the sales pitch in email all the time. Pay the subscription for our app so we can tell you when it's time to come overpay us for services that you don't really

Well, you don't have to subscribe if you have no need for the app?

I do subscribe to app remote start specifically because I'm in north Minnesota and work on a corporate campus where the FOB isn't sufficient during the winter. Using the FOB I have to have a clear line to my vehicle and that's not possible with the buildings. By the time I can use it, I'm 30 seconds from the vehicle, not useful warming up in -20.

So, the app allows me to warm up the vehicle 10 minutes before I get to it. Nice and toasty, no frozen wipers, windows clear.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
The question is would you pay a monthly service fee to have the fob based remote start or auto on headlights or auto down of front windows with double push of fob unlock button. That is the kind of thing manufacturers are looking at. Hardware support being there but if you want to use pay me now.

Some of that they already do with a one time fee. For instance, all ram trucks with power windows and fob remote start support auto down of front windows with double push of unlock button on the fob but it is disabled in the software for lower trim levels. The subscription model would allow you to subscribe to have the feature during the summer.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Sadly we’ve turned into a society where everything is a pay as you go model…and you lease your life on just about everything you ‘subscribe’ to. Only a matter of time where ownership is a thing of the past.

Thanks inflation, thanks a lot.

skates15

Reaction score
Man everyone getting so sensitive about one word. Maybe not a necessity by definition. And while I've gone many years without a remote start now that I have it I wouldn't go without it.

To each their own.
Agreed. When I was young I lived in an 80 year old cabin in northern kentucky. It had a coal stove and an old heater. No running water, so no toilet, did have an outhouse. I had to place coal lumps by the hand pump in the kitchen to get water during winter.

I spent one winter and would never do it again. Why? Well, because I can live in a house with electric heat. Do I need electric heat? No. Is it nice to have? Yes.

Do I need remote start via app when its -20 and I don't have to scrape ice? No. Is it nice to have? Yes!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Toyota tried the pay as you go for remote start, The flack they got was not good lol

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No, I go aftermarket systems or forgo the subs services. Like they literally make enough money already on these vehicles

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
NO !!!!! Not paying for after sale subscriptions.

Rekdreation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I'm alone in thinking remote start is a useless feature. I briefly had a Jeep with remote start, never used it. Maybe I'm a cave man but I just can't wrap my head around what's difficult sticking a key in a hole and turning it.

I'm sure as **** not going to pay a subscription for having a car that also depreciates and I need to maintain on my dime. It's one or the other, either I 100% own it or they 100% own it, none of this worst-of-both-worlds junk.
I have it on my CiviC. Love it.

There are a lot of reasons for remote start. Closing your mind to the concept carte' blanche speaks volumes.

But your ONE valid point is if you have to pay a subscription for it. I wouldn't either so you got that going for you.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I will pay on a truck that I bought, provided that I get the 1/3 price for full service, which I do, is Sirius. I would not buy ne thing else. But I also only have a Plain Jane Uconnect 4 in the RAM, so do not have all the Uconnect, Guardian,. SOS, 911 stuff ne way. Not even any OTA upgrades, only can be done by dealer, LOL and I luv it that way. I will not pay for features that are there and should be provided, or Uconnect, or NAV, or ne thing like that. My I Phone takes care of all that, guess I's a cheap BOIRD (more like fixed income BOIRD), LMAO.

turk helmut drive.JPG

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, if I read it right, the base truck would be built with all the added technology, but you would have to pay for activation. It makes sense for the manufacturer, in that ALL vehicles go down the line and are built the same. If a customer wants heated seats only, and not a package, they pay only for that upgrade, and it is either a subscription, OR a one time purchase. A subscription might be monthly, and could be canceled or inly paid for when needed, as in, heated seats only for the winter months. And, if you leave the vehicle parked for an extended time while traveling, you would suspend the upgrades while it is not being used. for some people, cafeteria style upgrades might really be the thing. For me, I would rather buy an upgrade outright because I keep a vehicle for a longer period of time than most.
I am sure that people raised the roof and went all snowflake when someone put a motor on a buggy a few years back, and look where we are now. Cant be without one.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Actually, if I read it right, the base truck would be built with all the added technology, but you would have to pay for activation. It makes sense for the manufacturer, in that ALL vehicles go down the line and are built the same.

Correct, with the caveat that there will still be some hardware differences between trim levels. Every given vehicle won't be the exact same, think V6 vs V8, leather vs cloth, sunroof or no, but the computerized/infotainment stuff would all be standardized.