Would you plug this tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That tire cannot be properly repaired as that damage is considered in the sidewall. A tire can be repaired when using the correct patch and procedure but not outside of the major tread grooves. A major tread groove is one that has the wear bars in them. The damage is outside of the major tread groove. But, as some have stated, put a plug in it and roll. What can happen if the belts in that area start to rust or has damage or that area of the tire is "bruised" and it fails at highway speed? Maybe you get a warning of a tire problem, maybe not, maybe just a little fender damage or maybe a major crash. There is a reason the USTMA and tire manufacturers set standards for tire repairs. It is to protect you and those around you on the nations roadways. Pay for a new tire and get the road hazard warranty. Patch it and use it as a spare if your spare is a 2014.

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the question you have to answer is how much do you love your wife and kids. I have done it when I was young and dumb and full of ***. I had a very bad experience once so I would never do it again. Is $300 worth the safety of you and your family.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Post #31 says it all.

The "fly in the ointment" as they say, is the shop. I.e. I doubt the majority of tire shops have a spreader and/or someone on staff that has been trained to inspect such a tire.

We live in a litigious society so I doubt any shop would be willing to expose themselves-safer to install a new tire.

I had the same issue last spring and was able to find a way (tire warranty) to get my $300 tire down to $90. Again, some mentality needed at the repair shop to work this out.

edit for clarity

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
All tire shops except local independents will tell you no on that repair as it’s too close to shoulder, not inside the last tread line. I can attest that a catastrophic failure on a rear tire can get eventful and you will definitely need to change yer shorts afterword, but I’ve never had a failure after a plug. My failures were tread separations on junk retread tires.

All tire shops except local independents will tell you no on that repair as it’s too close to shoulder, not inside the last tread line. I can attest that a catastrophic failure on a rear tire can get eventful and you will definitely need to change yer shorts afterword, but I’ve never had a failure after a plug. My failures were tread separations on junk retread tires.
i agree a tire failure on the rear can be eventful But a any failure on a front steer tire at highway speed can NOT ALWAY but can result in horrific consequences esp if not a experienced driver ! just google steer tire failures i am sure lots of videos on it !
Having exp a rear tire failure and a front tire failure i would much rather a rear tire failure ! both times it has happened it has been at highway speeds and both were a ride ! but when the front went out it took the wheel out of my hands good thing no one was in the lane next to me!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Post #31 says it all.

The "fly in the ointment" as they say, is the shop. I.e. I doubt the majority of tire shops have a spreader and/or someone on staff that has been trained to inspect such a tire.

We live in a litigious society so I doubt any shop would be willing to expose themselves-safer to install a new tire.

I had the same issue last spring and was able to find a way (tire warranty) to get my $300 tire down to $90. Again, some mentality needed at the repair shop to work this out.

edit for clarity
Are you ok? lol ... I have never seen a tire shop that doesn't have a spreader, that is probably the one tool every tire shop has lol ....

Now properly trained to inspect a tire, that depends lol ...

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
i agree a tire failure on the rear can be eventful But a any failure on a front steer tire at highway speed can NOT ALWAY but can result in horrific consequences esp if not a experienced driver ! just google steer tire failures i am sure lots of videos on it !
Having exp a rear tire failure and a front tire failure i would much rather a rear tire failure ! both times it has happened it has been at highway speeds and both were a ride ! but when the front went out it took the wheel out of my hands good thing no one was in the lane next to me!
I also had a failure on a steer tire, was somewhat less eventful as I was able to feel it going sooner, same junk retreaded tires(not a remold). It too, separated tread but didn‘t blow. I don’t like either one, but rear one wrapped around axle tube and ride was on. Took 2 lanes and both shoulders to get it back under “control”. Felt like I was dirt track racing again.Luckily the trucks behind me all saw what was transpiring as well and gave me plenty of room.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I also had a failure on a steer tire, was somewhat less eventful as I was able to feel it going sooner, same junk retreaded tires(not a remold). It too, separated tread but didn‘t blow. I don’t like either one, but rear one wrapped around axle tube and ride was on. Took 2 lanes and both shoulders to get it back under “control”. Felt like I was dirt track racing again.Luckily the trucks behind me all saw what was transpiring as well and gave me plenty of room.
that was good ! good to hear they were heads up

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Are you ok? lol ... I have never seen a tire shop that doesn't have a spreader, that is probably the one tool every tire shop has lol ....

Now properly trained to inspect a tire, that depends lol ...
^^This...any shop that does flat repairs will have a tire spreader. A shop that doesn't have one isn't a real tire shop.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
^^This...any shop that does flat repairs will have a tire spreader. A shop that doesn't have one isn't a real tire shop.
Exactly mikeru ...I don't think I ever seen a tire shop that doesn't have a tire spreader ...it's needed to make tire repairs ... lol ... I can't believe dude said that :happy175:

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@CheechDogg.On37s ....many carpenters say "measure twice, cut once". Can that be disputed?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks everyone. I think I'll skip the DIY plug and take it to the shop that did my lift & tires a few months ago. I sent them the pics a few mins ago and they already confirmed they should be able to make the repair, probably a patch like the one in the post above. It's a locally owned and extremely reputable shop so fingers crossed. Appreciate everyone's input.
So did you get it fixed?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Post #24 the OP said what he plans to do. He took the good advice some posted and decided to take it to a professional shop to look at. The last 31 posts are kind of irrelevant and the frustration with him is really unwarranted. He can't control the guys that keep posting after he provides the resolution he is pursuing.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He never said what the final outcome was. The shop said to bring it in they 'should' be able to.... [evaluate and do whatever]. I'm rather certain once they got the tire off the shop guy likely said something to the effect of, '...Well, it's right there where it may or may not hold up, or be safe. ..we can't guarantee anything' That's when a lot of guys say, "Well, how much for a new tire?"

If I was making bets, I'd put my money on ...they talked him into a new tire. Maybe he'll report back still.

Last edited:

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And to think 2 days ago I stopped and changed a spare for a very elderly & disabled man and his wife stranded with a flat…

Good on ya for stopping and helping the elderly folks. Thank You!

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kudos for that too!

A girl (recent H/S graduate) had a flat right in front of my house driveway few months ago. Her dad arrived but he knew less than she did about changing a tire. And plus his knees were shot..he said. Well, just happened my floor jack was sitting outside in front of the garage and my 4-way right inside the door. So I just pulled the jack down and some oil (the lugnuts were pretty rusted for a car lug wrench) and got busy. Couple neighbors stopped and got out of their trucks to heckle me lol. We had a whole community event going on ...to change the tire. Kind of fun! LOL

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Post #24 the OP said what he plans to do. He took the good advice some posted and decided to take it to a professional shop to look at. The last 31 posts are kind of irrelevant and the frustration with him is really unwarranted. He can't control the guys that keep posting after he provides the resolution he is pursuing.
What else would we do with our time?