WTB: 4.7 H.O. Camshafts & Set of 2005 or Newer Rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I am planning a valvetrain refresh on my 2003 Dodge Ram SLT with 4.7 Magnum V8. It has about 260,000 mile on it and the timing chains are getting pretty noisy. When I do the chains and all the stuff that comes with them, I plan to install the later model rockers with smaller offset oil holes if I can find some. I may need a set of good lifters as well. I won't know until I pull them out. And if I can find them at a decent price, I'd like a set of matching H.O camshafts. Everything else I'm sure I can find. But I may need help finding a good set of H.O. camshafts.

Other items I am considering are 2008 or later 4.7 intake, filter assembly and some kind of replacement for the "throttle hat" or whatever the Ram folks call that big plastic baffle on top of the intake with "Magnum" written on it.

Let me know what you've got.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am planning a valvetrain refresh on my 2003 Dodge Ram SLT with 4.7 Magnum V8. It has about 260,000 mile on it and the timing chains are getting pretty noisy. When I do the chains and all the stuff that comes with them, I plan to install the later model rockers with smaller offset oil holes if I can find some. I may need a set of good lifters as well. I won't know until I pull them out. And if I can find them at a decent price, I'd like a set of matching H.O camshafts. Everything else I'm sure I can find. But I may need help finding a good set of H.O. camshafts.

Other items I am considering are 2008 or later 4.7 intake, filter assembly and some kind of replacement for the "throttle hat" or whatever the Ram folks call that big plastic baffle on top of the intake with "Magnum" written on it.

Let me know what you've got.
I may have a set of the 2008 rocker arms and lifters. I'll look in the shop in the morning and see what I have left in my 4.7 stash.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I just bought a set of H.O. camshafts and an H.O. intake manifold. So I am good with those. But I still need a set of 2008 or newer rocker arms and possibly some 2008 or newer lifters as well.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
How much did someone gouge you for the cams?
The set of HO camshafts and HO intake manifold are from a seller on eBay. Got it all for around $300. It looked good in the photos, but I've got my fingers crossed that it's usable stuff. We will see. I will still need the new style rockers and some used but much newer lifters. I had originally decided to go with a 2008 or newer setup. But with the HO intake, it's plug and play. I don't need the expensive adapter plate for my cable-operated throttle body. And $300 was a good price for the matched set of cams and intake in my opinion.

But right now, my 260,000-mile engine (no substantial smoke or oil use) has developed another issues besides the chain ticking loudly at idle. When put under load, it has a slight vibration and has less power. But there is no check engine light. I suspect a weak ignition coil or injector, but I figure those would throw a light and a code. And I have none. I traded out plugs just so I could look at the old ones. The all look great. The only difference in any of them is the front passenger side cylinder. That plug is more orange, but that's the cylinder where the EGR goes in. All the coils looked good but need new o-rings. Did a vacuum test too and there was no vacuum drop at higher RPM's that would have indicated a blocked cat converter.

Today, I'm going to check the fuel pressure and look for any damaged leads to the coils and injectors. If I have time, I may get a spare ignition coil and start trading it out one coil at a time to see if that makes any difference.

I don't believe this issue is related to the loose timing chain. If one of the cams had slipped a tooth, I believe I would have a lot more issues. I want to fix this if possible before I start the valve train refresh so I don't have unknown variables after all the new parts are installed.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's not bad, though I think according to AirRam the 08+ intake is supposed to be better than the original HO.