WTF is wrong with my paint!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Just noticed this the other day. Under the gas cap. I use 89 non-ethanol. Truck sits couple weeks at a time. In partial sun but not direct at sunrise/sunset. I NEVER drip gas when filling. Tried cleaning it but it doesn't alter at all. So far this is only spot I've seen this. Never seen this anywhere in my life. Really bummed and hoping it isn't a big problem or potentially turn in to a big problem and HOPING there may be a solution?:(

Attachments

• Paint Issue.png
    Paint Issue.png
    502.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Hard to tell from the pics, but looks as if it’s bubbling. Is that correct? Certainly can see the color discoloration.

How long have you owned it?

Either at the factory, or prior to your ownership almost seems as that that area was not prepped correctly and not cleaned prior to paint.

Great that you don’t drip fuel there, but Granted if your not the original owner, doesn’t mean that has always been true.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Original owner. Brand new in 2018. 12k miles on it now. Sorta does look like bubbling if zoomed in. Easier to see in person than in photos. Never saw this until now 4+ years later....and I monitor the paint because I baby this pavement princess. I wax it seasonally too. I'm thinkin heat related somehow. Just so weird it finally is coming out and near the gas tank makes me think fume related for some reason. Ughhhhh

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Your picture is 5 pics jumbled together and I cannot tell anything based on it. But if it looks like paint is bubbling it should be covered under warranty. It's in you owners manual or .pdf from the ram website.
Screenshot_20220626-151047_My Mopar.jpg

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
You rock. Guess I'll have to make a quick appointment to get checked out before I hit the 5 year mark. Sorta worried what their solution will be. Forgot I also have a sealant around the truck I paid extra for so wonder how that would go too. Thanks.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Careful with what info you give up or how you explain it, or they'll blame the underlying corrosion on something you did to void the warranty.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
You're right, but if I don't mention the exterior protection then if they redo the entire side panel then it wouldnt have that extra protection and I'd have to shell out more to get that fixed vs warranty potentially covering that aspect too.

I'm not well versed in paint. What would cause this 4 years later? And would this progressively get worse and to what point, like completely peeling paint and exposed metal? Wondering if maybe I shouldn't worry about it?..

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Individual uploads.

Attachments

• IMG_9146.jpeg
    IMG_9146.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9147.jpeg
    IMG_9147.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9148.jpeg
    IMG_9148.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9149.jpeg
    IMG_9149.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9150.jpeg
    IMG_9150.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 45

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If it's only occurring below the fuel door I can't imagine you'll get any coverage as they'll claim it's from gas (and it really looks like it is). Any chance of a leaking gas cap? You'd probably get a CEL but who knows.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's only occurring below the fuel door I can't imagine you'll get any coverage as they'll claim it's from gas (and it really looks like it is). Any chance of a leaking gas cap? You'd probably get a CEL but who knows.
the 5.7's have capless vented tanks

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Right, just my luck... Good point about leaking gas cap. I have the Mopar/Dodge/RAM locking gas cap, but never noticed any leaks. I can try putting paper towels in the cap and see if it accumulates anything after a wild ride around.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well hell.... there's the problem! Maybe they should put a cap on it :)

I don't know too much about the cap-less thing.... do they ever leak? Seems like it would be the same premise as an air-admittance-valve on house plumbing. Things can go in but not come out. And those things fail constantly. I realize I'm down a rabbit hole here but it just seems extremely unlikely that the paint would only fail under the fuel door and it would be caused by something other than fuel.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it actual paint bubbling? Can it just be the sealer failing? I would try to strip the sealer in that spot and see if the problem goes away. Just try a real small test spot.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
That looks like sealant or ceramic coat high spotting and it reacted with either the fuel "OR" someone tried to add something to your truck ...

Ceramic coatings and sealants if not done correctly will react that way, if you take it to the dealership "DO NOT" mention that you had it sealed or ceramic coated, that will void your warranty for that issue, trust me, I just dealt with a similar issue on a Honda Accord about 3 months ago ...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I don't know too much about the cap-less thing.... do they ever leak? Seems like it would be the same premise as an air-admittance-valve on house plumbing. Things can go in but not come out. And those things fail constantly. I realize I'm down a rabbit hole here but it just seems extremely unlikely that the paint would only fail under the fuel door and it would be caused by something other than fuel.
Paint fail? Dunno, but near gas fill, hmmmmm. The capless vent system is 2 part, with a upper and lower vent system/valve. Not heard of failures as much as venting issues causing issues on filling the fuel tank. My take is this: A lot of PPL, and I am guilty also: Will fill a tank till pump clicks off, then force more in there to top off tank. A lot of PPL have said, doing this forces fumes and such through system into vapor cannister ref EPA, and not good. Well, I am no mechanic, but have read about this issue. NE WAY, I now fill till stops, wait 30 seconds, fill to second stop, and that be it. But I also do not fill my tank on the highest speed. But there have also been tank issues and filler neck issues where there may have been a TSB and new parts ref tank fill issues. Kinda luck of the draw, unfortunately. All IMHO.....

ADDED: 2 part system is why RAM also has a specific funnel designed to put fuel in the gas tank by means other than a gas pump, ie., like a gas can, and the funnel comes when you buy your truck and is located with the jack. A lot of PPL do not know this. I personally, when I had my ED, and was adding Cetane to the tank, had a "long" skinny funnel that I could put in the tank to open both valves to add the "Diesel Kleen" to the tank, instead of using given funnel and have to deal with those fumes in the cab if you kept the "issued funnel" in the truck.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

It's virtually impossible (or at least extremly difficult) for it to leak out of the top of the filler. There is a trap door further down and even if fuel got past that there are drain holes it would come out before it would come out of the end of the filler tube. These drain holes would dump the fuel behind the body, not on the outside.

It sure looks like spilled fuel though, going to be hard to prove otherwise to a dealer etc.

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be every time you fill up when you remove your gas cap do you let it drop out of your hands and let it dangle and hit the paint, I see so many people do this when they fill up, there’s a lip on the inside of your gas door, at least mine does I hang it on there when I’m fueling up, your probably rubbing some of the clear coat off each time you let your fuel cap drop and dangle and rub the paint maybe ?

Attachments

• 7884C12F-7D25-425F-95FA-025194C18EC2.jpeg
    7884C12F-7D25-425F-95FA-025194C18EC2.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 15115003-F539-434D-9D3B-0AE279A9D26D.jpeg
    15115003-F539-434D-9D3B-0AE279A9D26D.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 9

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks like sealant or ceramic coat high spotting and it reacted with either the fuel "OR" someone tried to add something to your truck ...

Ceramic coatings and sealants if not done correctly will react that way, if you take it to the dealership "DO NOT" mention that you had it sealed or ceramic coated, that will void your warranty for that issue, trust me, I just dealt with a similar issue on a Honda Accord about 3 months ago ...
Exactly what I was thinking. Thats why I was saying to try and strip a small spot of the product(sealer) where the issue is and see if it goes away.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The capless fuel filler for the gas trucks started with the Gen5 (DT) body. The diesel trucks capless filler neck started with the '13 model year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963