Xpress Kit Auto Start Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Dub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
2013 Xpresskit Auto Start
Using DBALL2 and THCHD3 T Harness purchased from Doug43235 on EBay.

Xpresskit Remote Start for 2013 & Up – DBALL2/THCHD3
I performed this install on a 2013 Dodge Ram SLT.
I want to keep these as brief and simple as possible, so I may leave out some common sense stuff, if there are questions I can add to it.
I bought the DBALL2 kit and THCHD3 T Harness with the XKLoader2 from Doug43235 on EBay.
I just hooked up the remote start, all plug and play, no hard wiring for lights, heated seats, defrosters, etc.
The kit included everything I needed for the install. (Again this was strictly for the unit and harness I purchased from Doug on EBay.)

Download the software listed with the kit before plugging in the unit, make sure the toggle switch is in the off position.

• Once the software is downloaded and running, the unit will be recognized when it’s plugged in. Plugging the unit consists of one wire. There is a 4 pin on the flash tool and one on the unit. It’s really pretty simple

• If you buy Doug’s kit, he will give you a login and temporary password to login to a site where the firmware will be flashed to the DBALL2. (Starting with the 2013’s the unit can no longer be pre-flashed.)

• Then choose your year, make, and model and the steps on the website will guide you through flashing the DBALL2.

• Once done with the flashing, the DBALL2 is removed from the flash tool and the install to the truck begins.
Plug in the DBALL2.

• There is 3 plugs on the THCHD3 Harness that attach to the DBALL2. There is a black, red, and blue. The black is attached first, red second, and the blue (Power) last. I attached the black and red and took the DBALL2 to the truck leaving the blue for the very end.

Remove the Kick Panel.

• The driver side kick panel has 2 screws that that come out at the bottom. Then the panel has clips that can gently be popped out to remove it. Be careful as there a couple of wires and cable that you don’t want to rip out of place. (On a side note, while removing the panel the hood release is also attached to this panel, accidentally pulling this won’t hurt anything, but it will scare the hell out of you. Source: I did this….)

Unplug the ignition wire.

• Unplug the ignition plug and there is one on the THCHD3 T Harness that will go in its place. There is also a female receptacle on the harness that will receive the factory plug that you unplugged from the ignition.

CircledIgnitionPlug.jpg

Harness Ignition plug in place, factory ignition plug plugged into harness.

Harness-FactoryIgnitionPlug.jpg

OBD Plug and Port

Removing the factory OBD from its location was a bit of a pain. There are two clips on the side of the plug that hold it in place. You have to squeeze these in and push it out through the back. It’s not overly complicated but it took a little time as I didn’t want to break anything.

Once that is out, there is an identical OBD on the harness. (There were two, a white and a black. My original was white so I went back with the white.)
The harness OBD snaps right in where the factory came out.

HarnessOBDPlug.jpg

Then, just like the ignition there is a female receptacle that will receive the factory OBD and a slide clip that will lock it into place.

OBDsFactory-Harness.jpg

Notice the black plug in the circle on the left, that’s the other OBD that was not used. The plug on the right inside the circle is the factory OBD into the black female receptacle on the harness. And then out of the circle on the left is the harness OBD port where the factory one came out of.

Toggle Switch

Make sure the toggle switch is in the off position. (sorry should have gotten a better picture of this)

ToggleSwitch.jpg

Plug in the Blue (Power) to DBALL2

• The blue plug that I mentioned earlier gets plugged in now which powers the unit.

• Wait for the LED on the DBALL2 to turn solid red.

• That is all of the plugs attached.

• Then you turn the key to the ignition, not start it just ignition.

• Then remove the key.

• Then ignition again. The LED should blink orange slowly.

• Now disconnect the DBALL2. I did this in reverse of how I plugged it in. Not sure if it makes a difference, but nonetheless, unplugged the blue first, then the red, and finally the black.

Final Programming

• Once the DBALL2 is unplugged from the harness, plug it back into the XKLoader2 and refresh the page. It will notice that you are ready to move on to the next step.

• This is the final programming step. When its done unplug the DBALL2 from the XKLoader2 and then its back to the truck.

Final Hookup

• Everything is programmed at this point.

• Hook it up just like the first time, black, red, and blue.

• The LED should turn solid green with a quick orange flash.

• Then (probably the longest part) cleaning everything up.

Clean up

• I found a clip that wasn’t be used by anything so I cable tied all the wires neatly and the pack fit right into this white clip.

Cleanup.jpg

• If you look just outside the red circle,top left corner, there is the toggle switch. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t in a bind or in a spot where it could get switched. Not sure what its for but didn’t want to take any chances.

Finishing

• Now just reassemble the kick panel. It goes tight back into place like it came off.

• Then close the door, press the lock button on the remote 3 times within 4 seconds and the auto start sequence should begin.

Hopefully i got everything in here. If there is something I've forgotten or something that you still have a question about, let me know and i can answer and include it in here.

Hope this helps!....:cheers:

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice work!

I really gotta do this on mine.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for taking the time to do this write-up. I've seen a lot of people saying they'd installed it, but no one bothered to give any real info.
This will help a lot of people.

OP
OP
D

D-Dub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Thanks, if anyone wants to do this let me know and I'll answer any questions I can.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
So many of us that want to do it, I wonder if we wouldn't be able to do a group buy. At $170, I'm going to wait but if we could get the price down to 125-135ish I'd buy one.

EDIT: Tried to take some initiative on this one and contacted him myself, doesn't look like it could happen at this time at least, this is the response I got from him.

"At the present time I am only offering this 2013 / 2014 Dodge RAM Remote Starter Kit on a individual basis. Right now I have only 2 THCHD3 T-Harnesses left in stock, so therefore I have only two of these 2013 Dodge RAM Plug-N-Play kits in stock. When these 2 are gone, it will be until about mid April before I have any more of them. I have had the THCHD3 T-Harnesses on back order with the manufacturer for almost 2 months now and they say it will be another 1 month plus before they expect to fill my backorders.
Thanks!
Doug

- doug43235"

Last edited:

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Holy crap. looks like I'm not doing it any time soon if they are back ordered. Thats crazy. I hope that he gets a big order in, a lot of people (including me) are very interested in this.

Also, how did you determine what OBD plug to use as the pass through? If you used the black one to connect to the harness wouldn't it be the other black on for the pass through? Just curious

OP
OP
D

D-Dub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
The original OBD was white, so I just went back with what was there.

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember right the OBD plug only matches one option. I don't know what the difference is but mine took the black plugs.

jagr200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any more info on wiring the parking lights and such? Does the kit come with pigtail harnesses? Or is it all plug and play and you get parking light illumination and such?

Thanks!

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is all plug and play to make the remote start work. No splicing or anything like that. There are some dead ended wires there that I didn't mess with so I'm not sure what they do. If you hook it up as per instructions you will not get park lights on with remote start up. Some people have figured it out but I'm not one of em.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
It is all plug and play to make the remote start work. No splicing or anything like that. There are some dead ended wires there that I didn't mess with so I'm not sure what they do. If you hook it up as per instructions you will not get park lights on with remote start up. Some people have figured it out but I'm not one of em.

You'd have to splice wires to do that.

CraneGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the instructions and pics, installed mine today and went off without a hitch. Everything seems to be working great and installation was a breeze.

aIIan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2O14
Engine
Got mine up and running thanks to this thread.

What's the deal with the extra OBD plug?

wthile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did this last night... On both my Wifes Charger and my 2014 Ram 1500... it was very simple with this thread help... Thanks for the post.

William

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Anyone who has installed these. What is the range you get with the factory fobs for remote starting? The aftermarket one my wife has on her car will start up in the parking lot from inside a store about a football field away. How far do these fobs work for us?

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On mine the range is the same as whatever the key fob will do when you lock/unlock the doors. But at least mine for sure is no football field; I'd say maybe 50 yds...

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Bought mine in Jan. Never got mine to work. Got all the correct light flashes but no worky. It seems simple enough. Doug gave me a few different try this try that but I must reproggrammed six times. He said I could replace it, but I am in Asscrackistan dodging rockets. My choice paid to be here. Probably just pay a dealer to do it when I get back not sure I want to go through any more hassel. I probably had a bad harness. Module lights did exactly what they were supposed to. Only thing about a dealer is never sure if you have a sharp tech or knuckle head working on the truck.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What's the deal with the extra OBD plug?

From some reading I've done online there are 2 different OBD plugs because the harness is designed to fit many different vehicles and they've put 2 styles on the harness for that. You just use the ones that match your car and ignore the other one.

I was able to get the factory key fob to unlock my doors from about 100 yards across a parking lot today.

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will this work on a 2014 express black edition?

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the seller says it will work. I ordered it and will install in a few days and give you all an update.