yes another oil thread 5w20 or 5w30 PUP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys and gals so ive been running redline 5w20 and 5w30 in my truck for 2 years now and like it. Slight tic but not crazy.
Now im due for a oil change and the redline i had ordered got delayed then lost in mail. Now the shop said it will be a few weeks wait.

SO im going to pickup PUP as its available and i need to get it done this week. So question is do i just go with 5w20 or do i go with 5w30? What would be a better option for engine protection and the tick?
I have MDS and it works well on 5w20 but ive not run PUP before so is there a big difference between the 2 5w20 or 5w30 as i know some oils its very slight different in stats when warm? is there the same amount of molly in either?

Ive been reading a few days on this and i need to pick some oil up tomorrow so thought id just get opinions on here.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summer's coming. 5W-30. Esp. if you tow.
No towing at all. 85% hwy driving. Usually only city drive once a week.

Is the 5w20 and 5w30 base oil the same? mds will have no issues?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read the note at the bottom,this is from the 700 page printed manual for my 14.
Saw this. thought it was in emergency only situations and might cause issues down the road with engine trying harder pumping the oil everywhere or with the mds haha.
Im a bit ocd.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Stellantis and FCA are European Companies. Try buying Shell Helix in the United States. It's a European oil. Fiat bought Chrysler and don't care about the American Market - they just want the profits. How do I know? Look at their behavior since they bought it. Ever bought parts from Moto Goto or whoever they are before?

Anyway, enough ranting. 5W-20 was the 1st in the viscosity reduction series to attain 0.000000001% increase in fuel economy for U.S. EPA's mandate Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. Automakers started doing all sorts of crazy stuff like this - including putting a choked-down orifice thermostat in the transmission oil cooler line to make transmission oil warm up. (not to mention overheat). Now they're down to 0W-20, with inherent VI Improver sheardown issues, etc.

5W-30 is fine. Don't worry about it. Many of us run it. Cripes - they spec'd 0W-40 for the 6.4L Hemi.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stellantis and FCA are European Companies. Try buying Shell Helix in the United States. It's a European oil. Fiat bought Chrysler and don't care about the American Market - they just want the profits. How do I know? Look at their behavior since they bought it. Ever bought parts from Moto Goto or whoever they are before?

Anyway, enough ranting. 5W-20 was the 1st in the viscosity reduction series to attain 0.000000001% increase in fuel economy for U.S. EPA's mandate Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. Automakers started doing all sorts of crazy stuff like this - including putting a choked-down orifice thermostat in the transmission oil cooler line to make transmission oil warm up. (not to mention overheat). Now they're down to 0W-20, with inherent VI Improver sheardown issues, etc.

5W-30 is fine. Don't worry about it. Many of us run it. Cripes - they spec'd 0W-40 for the 6.4L Hemi.
All this good enough for me.5w30 for me.
Is there a difference of molly contents of the pup 20 or 30 or both the same? Thats if molly is present in pup?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Is there a difference of molly contents of the pup 20 or 30 or both the same? Thats if molly is present in pup?

My memory is not what it used to be - @Burla seems to have a steel trap brain, or you can go to the Blackstone thread and sift through some UOA results.

P.S. - yes PUP has moly additive in it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
about the same moly those two, biotech is always an option as well...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I run PUP 0W-40 in the wifes car with a bottle of Biotechs Lubegard thrown in,it seems to like it,as it has no oddball start-up noises,like lifter rattle. It'll be getting switched to Redline after the free dealer oil changes are up,but for now the PUP and Lubegard seem to be working

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I bought my 2019 w/~34K miles on it. I have changed the oil 3X so far (always an adventure getting to that oil filter...), each time w/PP 5W30 and 15oz. of Lubegard. I went w/5W30 because I tow. I am approaching 50K miles and the engine is quiet as a church mouse.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 classic had 30,000 on it when I bought it. Didn’t know what the dealer put in it so I changed oil to valvoline 5w20 immediately. Started a short lifter tick when warm started. Switched to royal purple 5w30 with RP filter and was good for 2,000 miles. Tick came back.
Last change was PUP 5w20 with mopar filter. Almost 4,000 miles later I’m ready for another change. Quiet as a church mouse so I’m going with PUP 5w20 again.
Through all of this, I never saw any differences in mpg, power, mds or anything.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been running redline last 2 years but order got lost and shop ordered again bit it's delayed and I need oils change before I leave. But redline will be back in for winter at least

My local redline shop told me I got lucky when I bought it a few weeks ago as they have been out forever and had been slow getting it. Just did my transfer case last night along with my buddies 19 Ram front/rear diff, transfer case, and engine all in redline.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My local redline shop told me I got lucky when I bought it a few weeks ago as they have been out forever and had been slow getting it. Just did my transfer case last night along with my buddies 19 Ram front/rear diff, transfer case, and engine all in redline.
Yeabi never had an issue getting and I get twice a year but this time is difficult.

I need to do my front diff and transfer case maybe will try to find redline for those.
I did my rear diff last year with amsoil.

You did rl 5w30 for oil?

Last edited:

Alex38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go with 5w30. If I ever end up with another Hemi that's what I'll be using from day 1. Quaker State Synthetic is another option with a fair amount of Moly.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with 5w30. If I ever end up with another Hemi that's what I'll be using from day 1. Quaker State Synthetic is another option with a fair amount of Moly.
I agree I have used QS synthetic in my 2004 Ram since new and engine runs smooth without any issues.