Yet Another ABS Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good evening all,
I'm hoping those better experienced can help me understand something. I probably know the answer, but need confirmation.

When it comes to the front ABS sensors, would there EVER be an instance where I would only have the front left ABS sensor, and not both the front left and front right? Trying to diagnose my ABS light issues this evening and I don't even see a sensor or wiring going to the front-right wheel. I do, however, see wiring and a sensor on the front-left hub.

Checking the history, the front-right hub was replaced about 40k miles ago.

Am I looking at a new front right hub here? Harness and sensor too? Thanks!

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think if that were the case the ABS light would have been on for the last 40K miles. I suppose it might have been ripped off but that does not seem likely. Does the hub have a hole for one?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you have 2 or 4 wheel ABS?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes my truck only has driver side sensor. The light could be from the front sensor or the sensor on the ring gear.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have 2 or 4 wheel ABS?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Cruise Control and my speedometer work perfectly fine. Trying to determine if I need to replace the front-right hub and wire in an ABS sensor, or continue trying to diagnose the other 2 sensors.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Cruise Control and my speedometer work perfectly fine. Trying to determine if I need to replace the front-right hub and wire in an ABS sensor, or continue trying to diagnose the other 2 sensors.

Ok, double verification. Run your VIN and get a build sheet: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Then remove your right front wheel and look to see if there is a plug behind the plastic in the circled area.

DSC00295 edit.jpg

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you - that answered that question. So I will inspect/test the rear tone ring.

Ram-equipment-list.JPG

Neat fact: Looks like I have a larger fuel tank. Optional Equipment says "4 Additional Gallons of Gas". Maybe they put 4 extra gallons in when the first owner picked it up :D Funny... Only options are 26 gallon or 34 gallon on Rock Auto.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Front sensor reads 997-1015 Ω and the rear one is super inexpensive - I'm just going to replace them both for peace of mind.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sensor mounting surface likes to rust which disrupts the gap.
Inspect and sand if needed before installing new parts.
You'll also likely see shims.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you - that answered that question. So I will inspect/test the rear tone ring.

View attachment 167045

Neat fact: Looks like I have a larger fuel tank. Optional Equipment says "4 Additional Gallons of Gas". Maybe they put 4 extra gallons in when the first owner picked it up :D Funny... Only options are 26 gallon or 34 gallon on Rock Auto.

It'll say which fuel tank you have in the list. The "4 Additional Gallons of Gas" is what they added to the tank at the factory.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It'll say which fuel tank you have in the list. The "4 Additional Gallons of Gas" is what they added to the tank at the factory.
Here I thought the 4 gallons was a dealer-installed option; "Yeah we had Tommy run over and fill 'er up for ya. Here's the keys!" LMAO

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So... New sensors installed. Speedometer and cruise control still work. ABS warning light is still flashing. Repair manual indicates clearing codes with he DRB-III tool - something tells me it's a dealer-only tool.

Old sensors had no metal pieces on them, minuscule surface rust around the housings, seals were in good shape. I checked wiring and all are intact. When I did the differential flush just a few weeks ago there were no metal pieces or debris in the fluid. I'm at a loss here - I can't afford to take it to the dealer and throw money at it. There has to be something simple I missed along the way to clear/reset the ABS codes - right?

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Low brake fluid level will kick on a light as well.