You guys with lifts and tires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are a few options. Rough Country and Hypertech both have calibrators that DO work on the new 5th gens.

The Tazer works as well, as well as enabling all sorts of other neat features

The Pulsar works to change tire size as well. This is what I am using and have used GPS to verify that it has indeed changed the size and corrected my speedometer. Hard to tell if there is any true power added. My reason for buying it was to correct tire size and get better throttle responses which it does. Figured I would rather get one device than having to hey a calibrator plus a Pedal Commander. For what it's worth it is more fun to drive, especially in performance mode, but most likely it is all coming from adjusting the throttle response.

Matt Bullington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, hard to figure it out. Looked at the link posted earlier in the thread for rough country, makes no distinction between classic or 5th gen but my gut says classic because it lists 18 and 19.

If you find out let me know.

I used the Rough Country unit on my 5th gen. I did the math on rotations several times to calibrate a 295/65/20 for the 5th gen. It doesn't work perfectly, but my goal was 2 fold, to get the speedometer and odometer to match what the truck was actually traveling and attempting to get the transmission to shift more normally.

While the tire size did not line up perfectly to the input control, I was able to find a setting where the truck would line up the odometer and speedometer. When I used the actual dimension of 35.25" the truck would shift better, but it seemed to "float" over gearing. It also OVER-stated the mileage and speed. So under further review; I checked the math.

In the end, I had to use an input of 34.25" for the speedometer to match.

I can break into more of the math, but my review is that the rough country unit works. It's also a basic code reader if you need one of those. The spot to reach into is super small though.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the Rough Country unit on my 5th gen. I did the math on rotations several times to calibrate a 295/65/20 for the 5th gen. It doesn't work perfectly, but my goal was 2 fold, to get the speedometer and odometer to match what the truck was actually traveling and attempting to get the transmission to shift more normally.

While the tire size did not line up perfectly to the input control, I was able to find a setting where the truck would line up the odometer and speedometer. When I used the actual dimension of 35.25" the truck would shift better, but it seemed to "float" over gearing. It also OVER-stated the mileage and speed. So under further review; I checked the math.

I can break into more of the math, but my review is that the rough country unit works. It's also a basic code reader if you need one of those. The spot to reach into is super small though.
Perfect, thank you!

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8

+1 for the Rough Country Speedo Calibrator. It also took several attempts to dial it in for me. I kept running the same track of road which went by one of those speed limit signs that show your speed and used a speedometer app on my phone. Specs on the tire were 34.75 or something like that and ended up setting it around 33 to get speedo to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you research dyno results for tuners on Ram 5.7 and 6.4 you will find that actual results are somewhere between 18-30hp gain, which is virtually nothing.

Not trying to argue but dyno results don’t show enough gains to drop $1k plus.

Tuners do more than just tune the engine. Not sure about what the DT PCM handles but on my DS the Trinity T1000 would also:
  • Permanently turn off the MDS (that's worth almost $1k right there).
  • Adjust the speedo for tire size.
  • Change fan cut in/out temps.
  • Display and log all kinds of engine parameters.
  • Adjust shift firmness.
  • The 20-30 HP or whatever is a bonus.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tuners do more than just tune the engine. Not sure about what the DT PCM handles but on my DS the Trinity T1000 would also:
  • Permanently turn off the MDS (that's worth almost $1k right there).
  • Adjust the speedo for tire size.
  • Change fan cut in/out temps.
  • Display and log all kinds of engine parameters.
  • Adjust shift firmness.
  • The 20-30 HP or whatever is a bonus.
To each their own I guess, I wouldn’t drop that kind of money to adjust shift firmness or turn off mds. If you’re so inclined press the tow/haul button and it will shift firmly and turn off mds. Everything else you mentioned can be done with Alfaodb for less than $150. I guess it’s just a matter of what the perceived value of a tuner on a gas engineis for an individual, for me $1k+ for shift points is absolutely crazy, marketing gimmick. Conversely if I had a diesel I’d have a tuner day 1.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Just a word of warning guys. I just put a Tazer DT (as recommended by Zautomotive) on my 2020 RAM 1500. Some of the tricks of this device didn't seem to work after the first install. The next morning I had a dead battery. Just not a good experience, and not a happy camper. Will likely return the Tazer DT to them.

P.S. these trucks do not like a dead battery. Took a few restarts for things to work right after a jump.

EDIT: Zautomotive responded to my issue. Said a "full reboot, and two soft starts were needed" Interesting they didn't seem to make that fully away in the instructions. Only as a "if it doesn't work" section. Documentation is key guys. Grrrr....

Last edited:
Reactions: JB1