You Have $70,000 to Spend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Good morning from Washington State,

I'm in the market for a truck. i want to buy a Dodge Ram. I'm thinking 2500, and i want a diesel i believe. i want to be able to haul really any size RV.

how are the new transmissions? i heard the Allison is the way to go. Are those ones in the new trucks?

if you had $70,000 cash to spend on a truck what would it be? what options would you have on it (winch, etc)?

i really do have the money and i am in the market right now. This post is designed to start the conversation so i can learn as we go. your reply would be greatly appreciated, as i am fairly new to this world, and i do a lot of research before pulling the trigger. again thanks ahead of time
I went through what you are about 5 years ago. The first thing I did was decide what size trailer I was going to tow. 3500 a hell of a truck, masy be more than you need. DRWs a pain in cities and other heavy traffic. and even some scenic roads

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
All internet hype to generate clicks on websites (ie: income) and Zero evidence or proof to back it. That rumor is nothing more then a "wish" that has been floated by Ram owners for years!
Allison (consumer truck transmissions) are built by GM now anyway so unless you see Ram entering in a partnership with them it's not happening.

The only thing that has any real solid rumour is a ZF series transmission.

Well it does seem some of the trucks have that 8 speed ZF series. But there are 3 series types. One a 45, which is for a V-6 another a 70, for a V-8 and for those engines with the super charger a beefer 90 to hold the torgue. Why it doesn't say 90 for HD trucks is beyond my knowledge. Seems it would make sense to use it there.

appyshoer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel

I'm in the market for a truck. i want to buy a Dodge Ram. I'm thinking 2500, and i want a diesel i believe. i want to be able to haul really any size RV.

how are the new transmissions? i heard the Allison is the way to go. Are those ones in the new trucks?

if you had $70,000 cash to spend on a truck what would it be? what options would you have on it (winch, etc)?

i really do have the money and i am in the market right now. This post is designed to start the conversation so i can learn as we go. your reply would be greatly appreciated, as i am fairly new to this world, and i do a lot of research before pulling the trigger. again thanks ahead of time

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Got a 2020 Limited with the 12" screen over a year old with 25,000 miles and not a problem with it.......

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I believe you will find that you can not order a 3500 pickup with SO and Aisin.

Go to a dealer. You can order a 3500 with the SO and Aisin. The website isn't entirely accurate. Not for any of FCA's vehicles. But you cannot order a 2500 with the HO.

Like when I ordered my '21 Gladiator Sport back in June 2020 the website showed I could only get a soft top with the dual top group. And painted fender were not even an option. The dealer ordering site offers more options.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Here's a great video with Cummins Lead Engineer Roger Hapka at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show, showing all the enhancements and improvements to the most recent, newly engineered high output Cummins 6.7L....

Last edited:

WhoKnows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Here's my story. Bought a 2017 2500 Tradesman 4x4 with the 6.4 and short bed to tow my tractor and dozer around. Great truck and did it flawlessly. Shortly after we bought a Montana HC 381TH. Empty I was still a bit over limits at 14k. With the Harley and fully loaded 17k, way over limit. Had to put air bags in the back. The truck pulled it but going through the mountain passes really showed how deficient it was. Like I said the truck would pull it but brakes in the truck made it unsafe. Now I bought a 2021 6.7 HO 3500 Bighorn duelly 4x4 with 8ft bed. Night and day, wow. The stability and larger brakes makes it very safe, and I barely know the trailer is behind me. I will also point you to a few places to look at, two on YouTube. Look for Banks Power, lots of great info on the tech and how far diesels have come. Because of Gale Banks I changed my mind on a full delete. Next is ATS Transmissions. New video just put out about a swap kit for the Allison, great short vid. Next head over to any RV forums and look at some of their posts about trucks. Because I have a Montana and know there is good info for you there head on over to montanaowners.com .

Hope this helps, it should.

alejes02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive a SRW 3500 with HO and Aisin. Great truck, but be prepared for some serious maintenance bills. Trans fluid every 30,000 with a pan drop and filter replacement every 60,000. Takes 12 quarts of synthetic oil (not cheap stuff), and fuel filter and water separator every 15,000 miles. They cost about $100 for both and shops charge $300 to change them (which is why I do it myself). Throw in having to “desoot” the egr system every 67,000 (had to do mine at 53,000 however) for another $300, and the thing guzzles def fluid if you’re towing heavy. Plus, you’re only getting maybe 2mpg more when towing over gas. Sure it pulls like a beast, but so does a 6.4 with a 4.10 rear end.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Agree with responses saying to find trailer first. Know what you need before you buy. You could get a 2500 diesel and then have not enough payload capacity for your trailer. I have a Tradesman 2500 6.4 LB CC that I self added a couple factory options. I have exactly the truck I want with about 3k payload left. Some packages, like Power Wagon, seem to severely impact payload as well. Good luck

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do yourself a favor and consider the cost of both diesel and gas. Your statement of pull anything is vague. You need to confirm your max weight to get a good answer. Sounds like your into 1 ton territory but could get into 4500 and 5500 territory. Next, gas vs diesel. Gas 1 ton has a 8 speed. Diesel has a 6 speed. Sure, the diesel pulls better. Look at the cost of diesel fuel vs gas. If you pull every week, no doubt go with diesel. But issues with the new fuel system has issues. I pull a 10,000 lbs 5th wheel. Almost went with diesel upgrading from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton. But looking at the gear ratio, cost of oil change, DEF, and the rest of the BS that comes with a diesel, I went 6.4 gas with the 8 speed. Pulls a hell of allot better than the 6 speed with the same 6.4. My fuel price is 15 to 20 cents cheaper than diesel. Pulling under weight is close to the same MPG as the diesel. I wanted the diesel. But the cost ratio to gas didn't compute. I save more with the gas. But I pull 2x per month in the summer months. One thing to note, go long bed for the larger fuel tank. Couldn't get larger than a 25 gal tank in a short bed. My new long bed 1 ton has a 50 gal tank.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
70k, hum...buy a nice car or suv and stay in hotels