You leave it running and leave....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gray_flhxs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi, 5.7
I am curious what happens with the truck if you get out with your keyfob for let's say a few minutes. I caught the display a few days ago when I got out to look at something real quick and it said the keyfob was not inside the truck any more. Can it still be driven if already running? Or will the security keep it parked? I didn't see anything in the manual about it. My thinking is it would go into something similar to remote start mode after a period of time.

2020 Big Horn 1500, Level 2

David

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Of it's like my wrangler which I assume is so it'll run until you shut it off. My wife will get out at the store with the fob and I'll drive around till she comes out

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gray_flhxs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi, 5.7
Of it's like my wrangler which I assume is so it'll run until you shut it off. My wife will get out at the store with the fob and I'll drive around till she comes out

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk
I would hate to see the argument if it shutdown while you were driving around. lol I am not sure who would win that one!

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It should stay running until you shut it down, only problem is when you go to restart it. No key no start!

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My thinking is it would go into something similar to remote start mode after a period of time.

Nope. Someone could drive it cross country as long as they never shut it off.

What I do when I want to leave the truck running when I get out is lock the doors. You can do that by pressing the button on the outside door handle (which is generally what I do) or the fob.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. Someone could drive it cross country as long as they never shut it off.
What I do when I want to leave the truck running when I get out is lock the doors. You can do that by pressing the button on the outside door handle (which is generally what I do) or the fob.

When you get out and keep the FOB with you, it starts an annoying chime inside the truck, so if you leave folks in it they will be annoyed until you get back; unless they shut if off first! However, if no-one is in the truck you can just lock it and no worries. I'll do that sometimes to keep the AC running or for longer warm-up when in the colder months to defrost ice and such to avoid the auto-shut off from the remote start.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
When you get out and keep the FOB with you, it starts an annoying chime inside the truck...

It did that in my 2014, but not my 2020. It chimes a few times (softer than my 2014), and then quits chiming. My wife was very happy with this, so that she could stay in the truck and not be annoyed by the chimes while I got out to do something.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When you get out and keep the FOB with you, it starts an annoying chime inside the truck, so if you leave folks in it they will be annoyed until you get back; unless they shut if off first!

I tried the seatbelt chime disable (key position, click the belt, whatever) and instead of disabling the seatbelt chime it disabled the "Key fob has left the vehicle" chime. My wife loves it. And I got a 3" seatbelt extender to take care of the seatbelt chime issue. By the way, I do always wear my seatbelt on the public road system.