Your opinion: Linkswell 10" screen or factory 8" with android auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eviper21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So Ive got a 17 Express with the little 5" guy in it. Planning on upgrading the radio but unsure of what to get. I 10000% want android auto, and I love factory fitting/looking stuff. Especially because some of the truck options are ran through the radio like lights and door locks. (dont want a bunch of spliced wires and microphones hanging from the rear view and back up cameras drilled into the bumper etc.) So so far my options seem to be a factory 8" with android auto which looks like its about $1600 for a kit with the bezel. Or a linkswell which is about $1200?. The linkswell looks great but I know its an aftermarket option. Looks like i can retain my factory back up camera tho, and the only thing that i might not enjoy is a separate microphone? Anyway, in yalls opinion, whats a better option and why? And if neither, whats your suggetion

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Be careful who you buy your UAQ/UAS upgrade kit from since a number of them make poor quality harnesses that can cause problems. Many of the commercial companies leave their customers in a lurch when they have problems and their customers end up here looking for help. Needless to say the folks here, who created these upgrade mods, are not super thrilled to help customers of the commercial companies who "borrowed" their work.

I would suggest working with @Mpgrimm2 from M2 Mods. They are a forum vendor. https://www.ramforum.com/forums/m²-mods.166/

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Linkswell, in my opinion, is the best option to purchase a Tesla Style radio from because they have great customer service and make several modifications that make the 10" screens better. That being said, I would (and have) go with a factory 8.4 screen. If you really want the bigger screen, several forum members have pretty much worked out the how of installing the 5th Gen 12" Uconnect radios in 4th Gen trucks too.

maxiderm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I was very close to getting the linkswell. I also had the 5inch stock. I ended up buying a Kenwood DMX1057XR, which has a 10 inch floating screen, for around the same price as the linkswell. After reading up on some technical issues with the various tesla style setups, I opted for the Kenwood. It has wireless Android Auto (gamechanger) and an insane amount of equalizer/audio tuning settings. Also has the wireless Apple equivalent if anyone else in your truck wants to connect their iPhone.

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4L V8 OHV 16V FI Engine w/VVT
I started to say stinger heigh 10.have been researching it.very nice unit.

You installed that in what truck? According to crutchfield, it is not idatalink compatible and therefore won't work in my 2018 RAM 2500. I wanted to go with a simple chinese android with all the bells and whistles. I purchase the ATOTO A6 and it sits in my closet. Can't find a wiring harness to work properly. And again, according to crutchfield, only radio's with idatalink are compatible. I had my own thread asking if anyone knew of a harness that would work... crickets.

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I too went through this same dilemma. I had a Phoenix automotive 12.1 kit. I hated the Android interface. Mine wasn’t a fast boot either which was even more frustrating.
I did purchase a complete kit from infotainment.com for my 16 Ram. Yes, I paid almost 2K for the 8.4 Nav unit but mine was truly plug and play.
I contemplated piecing a kit together. I read so many posts on the subject my head was spinning.
Yes, there are people on this group that make the harnesses you need. You still need to source the head unit. Fan controller. Usb hub for the console with harness adapter. Bezel for the unit. (I have a dual climate control bezel for sale)
I felt my time and frustration was worth more than the 4-$500 I might have saved piecing it together.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stinger via pac makes a ram specfic plug and play kit for the heigh10. you tube it.and I think you have a floating mount option also.a lot of wires but plug and play.the kit is like 600 and the head unit from 800.00 to 1000.00.i think.crutchfield is a little off on their fitment thingy.they have a darn good shipping and return dept though.

OP
OP
E

eviper21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too went through this same dilemma. I had a Phoenix automotive 12.1 kit. I hated the Android interface. Mine wasn’t a fast boot either which was even more frustrating.
I did purchase a complete kit from infotainment.com for my 16 Ram. Yes, I paid almost 2K for the 8.4 Nav unit but mine was truly plug and play.
I contemplated piecing a kit together. I read so many posts on the subject my head was spinning.
Yes, there are people on this group that make the harnesses you need. You still need to source the head unit. Fan controller. Usb hub for the console with harness adapter. Bezel for the unit. (I have a dual climate control bezel for sale)
I felt my time and frustration was worth more than the 4-$500 I might have saved piecing it together.

where did you end up getting your complete kit from?

OP
OP
E

eviper21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you
Stinger via pac makes a ram specfic plug and play kit for the heigh10. you tube it.and I think you have a floating mount option also.a lot of wires but plug and play.the kit is like 600 and the head unit from 800.00 to 1000.00.i think.crutchfield is a little off on their fitment thingy.they have a darn good shipping and return dept though.
have this radio? If so, how do you like it?

ksonnen1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the stinger Heigh10 and like it much better then the oem 8.4. This is it installed.

Attachments

• 20210817_125332[1].jpg
    20210817_125332[1].jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 83

Scotty2Hottie83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the stinger Heigh10 and like it much better then the oem 8.4. This is it installed.
Now that it is 2022, how do you still like it? What factory features DON'T work with it? I keep getting ghost touches on my 8.4 and am wondering if it is worth doing a repair/replacement for the OEM 8.4, or upgrading to the HEIGH10.

pops lam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Now that it is 2022, how do you still like it? What factory features DON'T work with it? I keep getting ghost touches on my 8.4 and am wondering if it is worth doing a repair/replacement for the OEM 8.4, or upgrading to the HEIGH10.
You lose the compass. Uconnect is also lost, which only means that you lose WiFi and remote start/lock/unlock. The replacement OEM was more expensive than the head unit and installation kit. From Stinger the two are about $1700. I got mine on ebay for less.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You lose the compass. Uconnect is also lost, which only means that you lose WiFi and remote start/lock/unlock. The replacement OEM was more expensive than the head unit and installation kit. From Stinger the two are about $1700. I got mine on ebay for less.
My compass still works on the EVIC.