Your Opinion of Front/Rear Steel Bumpers on a 2023 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullSteveAhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque
Just bought my first truck, after being a Jeep family for a while now. I'm used to adding whatever I can bolt onto my Jeeps in order to get the worst possible gas mileage as I can.
Since my truck is brand spanking new, I don't want to *F* it up by adding things I don't know about, in terms of pros and cons. Are there any downsides (other than added weight) to a bumper like this:

We plan to tow a 4,000lb camper. The front bumper will add about 150lbs of payload. But I should still be well with safety limits to tow. Might also do a rear bumper and side steps.

What am I missing? Anything? I have a V8 5.7L, RWD, 3.21.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would think that as long as you drive on improved roads, you should be ok.
You would need more protection if you were to travel ungraded trails

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Payload is the problem. Even with smaller campers. Tongue weight really adds up fast. I’d weigh the tongue weight loaded and calculate your payload before adding 150lbs unless you believe it is truly necessary.

Looks great though.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do it, but keep your stock bumper around. When you sell the truck or if you decide to go back to stock, the aftermarket bumper will easily sell on marketplace for much more then the stock one would.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought my first truck, after being a Jeep family for a while now. I'm used to adding whatever I can bolt onto my Jeeps in order to get the worst possible gas mileage as I can.
Since my truck is brand spanking new, I don't want to *F* it up by adding things I don't know about, in terms of pros and cons. Are there any downsides (other than added weight) to a bumper like this:

We plan to tow a 4,000lb camper. The front bumper will add about 150lbs of payload. But I should still be well with safety limits to tow. Might also do a rear bumper and side steps.

What am I missing? Anything? I have a V8 5.7L, RWD, 3.21.

Aside from looks: What is the benefit?

Maybe it improves the angle of approach but really look at the independent front suspension hanging down.

OP
OP
FullSteveAhead

FullSteveAhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque
Payload is the problem. Even with smaller campers. Tongue weight really adds up fast. I’d weigh the tongue weight loaded and calculate your payload before adding 150lbs unless you believe it is truly necessary.

Looks great though.
That makes sense. Thank you.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aside from looks: What is the benefit?

Maybe it improves the angle of approach but really look at the independent front suspension hanging down.
Massively improved approach angle, can actually bump into something without denting it, and on most other bumpers, not so much this one, more room for aftermarket lighting as well as a winch if desired.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Massively improved approach angle, can actually bump into something without denting it, and on most other bumpers, not so much this one, more room for aftermarket lighting as well as a winch if desired.

True but a you don't improve ground clearence. AND you should be doing what you did with a Jeep in a 1500.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been eyeing that same bumper for quite some time now, also a Jeep junkie, 2014 JKU I've already changed the rear bumper to a rough country, had to have the step cutouts in the corners and I like the rear leds. I would get the bull bar with it and try to get a skid made for it.