Yukon Limited Slip or AAM Helical or Eaton Helical?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarrisFD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 4x4, Cummins 6.7, 68RFE
Posted on another thread and got crickets so I'm trying the direct approach.

I recently moved to Utah and snow is a common occurrence where I now live. On snow days, the traction control is pretty much useless on even the slightest grade on my 2500 and I have to use 4WD to get out of my neighborhood. I want to add limited slip before next winter. The open style Diff is sloppy as hell and is annoying so it has to go anyway.

So would Yukon clutch type or AAM helical be the better choice for the AAM 11.5, especially with abs, traction control, vsc etc? I have heard that the Helicals are sloppy too and wear out quickly. Anyone have experience on this?

Last edited:

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had both the clutch style in my 12’ 1500 and currently the AAM Helical in my 15’ 2500 and I would definitely choose the worm gears over the clutches. Engaging feels better and will outlast the clutch style.

4526670c4bd263ac821fc0ddf3f3a3dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wear out?
How long does Yukon last?

I had a Jeep with factory limited slip. Lasted till the day I sold it at 185k miles.

I got loaner with limited slip and what a difference. I am going limited as soon as my warranty is up.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd go with the helical over the clutch type. I have had grief with the clutch type once or twice, but never the helical style. That may just be the luck of the draw and isn't necessarily scientific- just my experience.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I could score an OEM LS, would last longer than an aftermarket?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I could score an OEM LS, would last longer than an aftermarket?

On a daily driver? I really don't know if one would be better than the other. It would boil down to price for me. If it were a truck I was in the field with as much as paved roads I would go aftermarket personally but I have no empirical evidence to prove one is better than the other.

OP
OP
HarrisFD

HarrisFD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the feedback, looks like helical is the winner. So now another twist: is Factory AAM or EATON Truetrac the better helical unit? I see on EATON’s website they say that you must use 03-07 gear set for later year 11.5s? Anybody successfully done an Eaton in a 4th gen? Not really interested in regearing.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
In one of the Jeeps that I traded in for my 2500, I had both front and rear Eaton TrueTracs. And there was not a thing that I had issue with. The rear TT setup was so good that I very seldom had to use 4x4. One thing that was good for daily but bat for krawling was that if a tire got up in the air, it would spin. But that was easily overcome by putting a click or two on the parking brake. With this new truck and LSD, I can't even go up the incline on the property to get out to the main road without going into 4wd.

The only con I have found is price.

With the eaton and I would assume all helical, you should not use lube with friction modifier as it changes the bias of the gears.

Example of using the brake

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks everyone for the feedback, looks like helical is the winner. So now another twist: is Factory AAM or EATON Truetrac the better helical unit? I see on EATON’s website they say that you must use 03-07 gear set for later year 11.5s? Anybody successfully done an Eaton in a 4th gen? Not really interested in regearing.

Crap you made your post as I was gathering mine up haha.

I will be following yours closely, this will be in my future

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In one of the Jeeps that I traded in for my 2500, I had both front and rear Eaton TrueTracs. And there was not a thing that I had issue with. The rear TT setup was so good that I very seldom had to use 4x4. One thing that was good for daily but bat for krawling was that if a tire got up in the air, it would spin. But that was easily overcome by putting a click or two on the parking brake. With this new truck and LSD, I can't even go up the incline on the property to get out to the main road without going into 4wd.

The only con I have found is price.

With the eaton and I would assume all helical, you should not use lube with friction modifier as it changes the bias of the gears.

Example of using the brake
Thats a trick I have yet to master.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thats a trick I have yet to master.

With the Jeep it was easy with the hand brake. "two footing" the gas and brake is a heck alot harder, I tried it and was 50/50 on effective use.

OP
OP
HarrisFD

HarrisFD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing that was good for daily but bat for krawling was that if a tire got up in the air, it would spin. But that was easily overcome by putting a click or two on the parking brake.

So in the case of my 2500, the Traction Control might serve as my "foot-brake" ?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Yes the TT works fine with the traction control. I live out in the country on dirt roads and I would do some "dukes of hazzarding" around the corners when i was feeling froggy. But after the TTs were put in, I got a big surprise. When I steered expecting the drift and it didn't, I almost wound up in the ditch. It was definitely a seat cover removal moment haha.

OP
OP
HarrisFD

HarrisFD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes the TT works fine with the traction control. I live out in the country on dirt roads and I would do some "dukes of hazzarding" around the corners when i was feeling froggy. But after the TTs were put in, I got a big surprise. When I steered expecting the drift and it didn't, I almost wound up in the ditch. It was definitely a seat cover removal moment haha.

Did you put it in a 4th gen? Did u have to change to earlier ring & pinion?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Did you put it in a 4th gen? Did u have to change to earlier ring & pinion?

It was in the Jeep that I traded in for the truck. I haven't had the chance to start researching for the RAM

OP
OP
HarrisFD

HarrisFD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
K thanks, one of the potential issues I see is that if you have a 4th gen ram with AAM 11.5, Eaton website says you have to swap to earlier ring and pinion to run the Truetrac. Guess I’ll call their tech line to confirm or see if there is a newer part number.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have an Eaton TrueTrac in my Dakota and it works much better than the OEM anti-spin clutch type diffs in both Dakota's I have owned. I do not have any problems with my Ram and it's OEM anti-spin but I don't off road or have to deal with snow/ice. The Dakota has more power to weight and gets driven much harder and has a manual.