ZF 8 speed transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the post. I plan to do this in the spring with ppe pan and maxlife as well. I'm glad you mentioned to keep the truck on, I would've made a bfm.

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I just completed this job on my 2018 1500 Laramie 4X4. Watched several youtube videos on the procedure. They were very helpful, but like most youtube "how to" videos they glossed over some hard parts. Number one, if you are laying on your back to do the job its a *****! If you don't have wet rags tied around the exhaust pipes in the area, you run a high risk of getting burned. Found that out the HARD way. I found the MOPAR pan from Parts Geek for $210 delivered. It was exactly correct. Pan came with new installation bolts and fill plug. Got six quarts of Mopar 8/9 speed fluid for $137 delivered ($23/qt) Needed 1 more qt. due to spillage and Dealer charged me $63 plus tax for it! More careful next time!

Notes: I lucked out in that my 2018 has a shallow pan and no need to jack up the transmission. They even made to crossover pipe flat on top for better access. Still need to finagle a 10mm hex into the drain plug. (pic 1)
Also need to use short 40 torx bit and wrench to get bolt off pan blocked by exhaust. All pretty easy with cold motor.
You can refill the pan cold, then install fill plug and start it up. You must go back under, remove the plug and fill again till fluid runs out. Then put plug back in. Next take very short ride to shift to 2nd. Return to garage, shut down and let it cool. Then wrap pipes with cloth (I used zip ties) and wet them with spray bottle. Start motor and get temp up to 86 degrees.
Pull fill plug and pump until fluid trickles out. Do it FAST before trans heats up to 120 degrees. If too slow, shut off and cool down.
Found this pump at Walmart in boat section. Added black hose to get to bottom of quart bottle.
Used handee clamp for drain plug 10mm
Used T40 bit with 1/4 inch gear wrench for bolt under exhaust pipe.

Hardest part is getting the fill plug back in with motor running and super hot pipes and converter inches away. It's NOT for the faint of heart!
Well worth it! No more banging shifts! Yea haw!

Attachments

• IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 37

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doing this tomorrow. PPE pan, new oem gasket. 10qts Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
Initial drain and pan/filter replacement…Is this done cold or between 86-122 degrees?
I understand the trans procedure after initial fill.
Thanks!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Doing this tomorrow. PPE pan, new oem gasket. 10qts Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
Initial drain and pan/filter replacement…Is this done cold or between 86-122 degrees?
I understand the trans procedure after initial fill.
Thanks!
Start cold,even if the transmission is under 86F,it'll be above that by the time you get through the procedure Craig.The tip about the wet rags is worth copying,and if you have a sleeved welding glove,it'll help keep the swearing to a mininium. Here's the factory instructions again.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 23

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Start cold,even if the transmission is under 86F,it'll be above that by the time you get through the procedure Craig.The tip about the wet rags is worth copying,and if you have a sleeved welding glove,it'll help keep the swearing to a mininium. Here's the factory instructions again.
Will the welding gloves stop wrench-throwing?
I have a bin full of “retired” hand and bath towels I plan using. Thanks again Rick!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Will the welding gloves stop wrench-throwing?
I have a bin full of “retired” hand and bath towels I plan using. Thanks again Rick!
No guarantee's on the wrench throwing ,lol

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I did not get worked up about having the transmission level...I just left the truck on the ground and did all the filling that way. Pretty sure it's right since it's shifting much better and trans temp has not gone over 185 after a long drive including stop and go and highway speeds. Your results may vary!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Craig have you gave any thought to wrapping the cross over pipe with header wrap where it passes under the pan.Aluminium also absorbs heat,and if you happen to be stuck in very slow moving rush hour style traffic on a hot day,the exhaust cross over will be radiating a fair bit of heat onto the pan.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Craig have you gave any thought to wrapping the cross over pipe with header wrap where it passes under the pan.Aluminium also absorbs heat,and if you happen to be stuck in very slow moving rush hour style traffic on a hot day,the exhaust cross over will be radiating a fair bit of heat onto the pan.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can add that. I thought about when I saw one if your older posts. That flippin exhaust crossover! The oem pan came off fine, but for the PPE pan I unbolted the trans mount and raised it 1.5” to get it to clear. I
I got about 5qts out and it took about 7.5-8qts in. Followed the instructions exactly. Ran through them a couple times trying to get the fluid temp up.
Idling at 100degrees afterward, just a slow trickle coming out.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a couple notes…the flange collars are a very tight fit in the PPE pan…install them before you crawl under…I followed the directions verbatim…Which means I did this on my back underneath the truck. Meh…You will also need a T-40 torx bit and someway to get turns on it for one SOB of a bolt. I clamped the bit in visegrips. A socket T40 and ratchet is not going to fit unless you unbolt the exhaust from the headers…Didnt do that but wouldve if I had a lift.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Only 1 small burn on underside of wrist and one skinned knuckle when the fill plug broke free. I did have to jack up the rear about 9” and my truck has .75” of rake.
Sounds like Hercules tightened your fill plug as well as mine, I had to use a cheater to break it loose.

I was 30 seconds from done with mine when I removed the piece of Nomex felt I insulated the exhaust pipe with.

Then what? I introduced the back of my hand to the hot exhaust, and invented a couple new words for the english language.

I am really tempted to give the MaxLife a go on my next service.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sounds like Hercules tightened your fill plug as well as mine, I had to use a cheater to break it loose.

I was 30 seconds from done with mine when I removed the piece of Nomex felt I insulated the exhaust pipe with.

Then what? I introduced the back of my hand to the hot exhaust, and invented a couple new words for the english language.

After you were done a mule skinner had nothing on you,lol

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It honestly wasn’t all that tight, it just broke free so sharply and I was using just an allen wrench. The wet rags Wild one recommended helped. The real muthascratcher was getting the PPE pan on. Had to jack up the trans/TC off the mount with redneck engineering technology…