ZF8 - PPE Pan Install and D6 Changeout to Maxlife

Did you have success with your non-Mopar fluid in your ZF8 transmission?

• Yes - my non-Mopar fluid is working just fine

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No - I changed it back to Mopar/Lifeguard

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No - I changed it to something else

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • What did you change it "from" and "to"?

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are you guys using 3 ton or 6 ton jack stands for raising the rear end to level? Don‘t want to come up short but also don’t want to be too tall.

fijicorey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you guys using 3 ton or 6 ton jack stands for raising the rear end to level? Don‘t want to come up short but also don’t want to be too tall.
I used 6 ton jacks without issue. I also parked on a slight decline with the front facing the declining slope (backed in), which helped.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was figuring 6 ton. I measured from the ground to the bottom of the axle tube at about 13.5". With suspension sag and getting the wheels off the ground plus leveling its gonna take a bit. I also have a grade to work with and can crib if needed.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just did mine this morning. All in all a pretty easy job. Just a touch over 7qt.

My 149" wheelbase truck ended up with quite the rear lift to get the pan level. Used the slope of my driveway to my advantage and still had 10" or so under the rear tires. I have 6ton stands and had 2x4's double stacked for additional reach to be safe.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you so much for this info. How did you do the drain and refills? I got a PPE pan, and I'd like to do the same. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if I should do the drains and refills before installing the PPE pan. Also, after the last drain, I imagine that I'd have to change the filter if I install the PPE pan first.
sorry for the time in reply, have not looked at Ram Forum for a bit. I first installed the PPE then refilled it, then did two more drain and fills. the PPE pan is so much easier to drain as the plug is easy to get to, not under the exhaust crossover like the oem pan. also have installed CAULK's thermostat bypass and running much more acceptable fluid temp. as far as the D6, it seems to work ok, shifts smooth and no slippage noticed.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the fact that these PPE pans can hold more oil and help lower temps. But do you guys think that besides looking great are they worth the $300 price tag (or what ever the price).