ZF8 - PPE Pan Install - Gasket Sticks Out in Some Places Next to Screws

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Last Friday I installed the PPE pan on my ZF8 transmission and refilled it with AMSOIL. Shifts are buttery smooth by the way, and I no longer have that 3 to 2 jerk when downshifting while going up a hill (yuck!). I wanted to do 3 drains and fills, and today I am doing my third one.

When I installed the pan, first I torqued gently everything by hand, then made sure everything is 3 ft-lb, then 5, 7, 8, 8.5, and ended up at 9 ft-lb. I went over it two or three times at 9 ft-lb to make sure there are no loose bolts.

I see a few screws where the gasket is raised up where the pan is larger than the transmission. Those of you that have the PPE pan, have you noticed anything like this? Is this normal?

No leaks. I used new bolts and a new gasket. Please take a look at the pics.

Thank you.

20211109_153227.jpg

20211109_152630.jpg

20211109_152829.jpg

20211109_153035.jpg

20211109_153123.jpg

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you need to do any exhaust modification to fit that pan? It is on my list for when I plan my first transmission fluid change.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you need to do any exhaust modification to fit that pan? It is on my list for when I plan my first transmission fluid change.

There is plenty of clearance under the cross over for the PPE pan. I also heat wrapped the part right under the pan on my truck. Also it is much easier to do an additional drain and fill on the PPE as the drain plug is easily accessible than the oem pan.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looks perfect to me. I would think it's normal to see a little bit more gasket deformation directly under the bolts because that's where much of the force is concentrated.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not worry about it, the sleeves in the pan will keep from over compressing the gasket.
The PPE pan does not come with the sleeves. Unless you take them out of them the OEM pan and put them into the PPE pan. I would suspect that is the issue that the OP is having with the gasket bulging out. Prior to installing mine, I read somewhere on here warning me to transplant the sleeves.

I just realized that this is an old post. This information is for those that are installing a PPE pan.