ZF8 trans fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Wade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I’m new to the forum. Thought I would share my fluid change story with you, some might want to do the same. After much debate I decided to pull the trigger on changing the fluid in my 2014 Hemi Ram 1500. I watched many videos of pan and fluid change, but have never seen just a fluid change. I could not get a definitive answer on the drainbolt being reusable so I decided not to chance it. I brought the trans temp up to 90* then pulled the upper filler plug. 1 quart of fluid came out on it’s own. I then used a fluid extractor to pull another 2.5 quarts and emptied the pan. I then used a cheap fluid pump and pumped 2.5 qts of fresh Maxlife ATF into the fill hole until it started to weap out. I then started the truck with the remote and pumped the other 1 qt in. 3.5 quarts out/3.5 quarts in. I tightened the fill bolt and turned the truck off. I will complete another fluid change when I change my oil this week. Do NOT believe the “lifetime” claim! My truck has 80k easy miles and the fluid was very dark. It’s only been a week, but the trans seems very happy.

Ed

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you'd sucked the pan that far down,why wouldn't you pull it and drain it completely? FYI you need the rear of the truck jacked up till the pan rail is level to do a proper check on the fluid level.Doing it your way and measuring fluid will probably be good though,but if you do want to check the level properly,you'll have get busy with jacking it up aways,lol.If you're on any of the Ram facebook pages like Tuned Rams or High Preformance Rams,i can post a pic of the factory fill instructions that came with my new 8hp70 last summer.I've never been successful with putting pics on here,but I can do a facebook pic for you if you want.
Rick