ziebart undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REBEL12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
Hay guys I'm getting a new truck and I live in the snow belt. where lots of salt is used. what do you all think about rust profing.

OP
OP
REBEL12

REBEL12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
Hay guys I'm getting a new truck and I live in the snow belt. where lots of salt is used. what do you all think about rust profing.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Search to YouTube for some Ziebart horror stories. The black tar like stuff they use is a nightmare. I'd go with krown, carwell or others that offer an oil like spray.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And beyond what the above member posted, if it’s a brand new truck with a clean rustproof undercarriage, you can cheap out (like some of us have, me included) and rattle can paint the underside with your choice of medium.

wespentecost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm from SE Texas....bought a used rebel that apparently came from up there, it has a ton of rust. Mechanic that helped with my exhaust is from Ohio and asked if I bought it from up north. After a short conversation he pointed out all the rust and said it was definitely from up north. It was the worst I'd ever seen. I have way older vehicles with little to no rust living in a very humid environment. Salt is hell on the metal for sure. I've been knocking the rust off and painting, it drives me crazy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally wouldnt rattle can paint it either.

Krown, Corrosion Free or Fluid Film. DIY or find and pay a place to do it.

If you are in a snow area (pretty sure Michigan qualifies!) I would look at getting it done once a year before the real snow starts.

OP
OP
REBEL12

REBEL12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque

OP
OP
REBEL12

REBEL12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
thanks for the quick reply. I will look into the krown and fluid film. and I wouldn't rattle can it eather.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with Ziebart this time.
Last truck I used the heavy grease/oil type undercoating, while it did work it was messy when working on it as it never dried, smelled, and washed off - touchup was required every 2 years.

So I tried Ziebart this time, so far no complaints, but the shop here does a good job. Have to take it in every year for a check/touch up for a bit less than $50 but they touchup everything I ask them to.

I did remove all 4 inner wheel liners for the first application. This allowed them to apply directly on the outer sheet metal vs. using a wand. I hope it helps.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I lived up north I had used ziebart several times. When I started they were about the only ones around. It always did a good job for me. Just make sure you're water drains in the bottoms of you're doors and other panels are still open.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
REBEL12

REBEL12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
is the fluid film a do it your self system? I can't find anyone who does this for you .

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^ Thanks for that! Corrosion free was the other one I wanted to recommend above. They're a little less expensive than Krown and it's probably the same materials, or similar enough.

I have nothing against Ziebart as long as they use something other than that back tar like roofing cement undercoating. That's what my closest Ziebart uses and they charge around $600 to do so. Yes the yearly re-sprays are free, but it just builds up like someone is mopping roof sealer under your vehicle. As I've probably mentioned in other threads on this, my father-in-law had his basically brand-new 2017 Nissan Frontier caked in this crap a few months back even after I suggested to him that he not go this route. I don't know how you'd ever be able to work on the underside of a vehicle once it's had 2 or more re-sprays of this stuff.

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when i bought my new rebel.the dealership offer me theyre version of 'ZIEBART".its called "Amsoil".i had "ziebart"made a lot of promises they couldnt or wouldnt keep.this is applied at the dealership"IMHO IMHO"!!

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've gone Krown with all my Rams... If you own an Ram (or any new pickup) the tinfoil metal they use to build these new trucks, just to see them rust out in 4-5yrs is insane. The next one (picking up tomorrow) will only be a 36mth lease for 72k (very likely less) and I'll still have it Krowned. I couldn't imagine passing that onto a secondary buyer only to rust away.

I've seen a lot of 09-12 Rams with rockers and boxes completely GONE.. Its unbelievable to me! My 2003 Laramie actually lives 10 mins from me, has almost 300,000 miles on it.. I sold it with around 60k on it .... Literally looks exactly the same as when I sold it. And no I've never spotted it in the local shopping plaza parked, and crept under it.. That'd be weird... but.. maybe I have?! Anyway, creeper or not... for a RAM to last that long without disintegrating in Canada is literally a true estimate to how well KROWN works.

Its a must have. We don't have Ziebart here anymore I don't think, but it sounds like the black tar the dealers also charge $1800 for with lifetime re-touches. While its better to work under a vehicle with because its solid and dries, compared to Krown which is a total mess to work under a vehicle after, i think the dripping effect would allow Krown to be more effective. I used to apply the dealer tar decades ago, and its nicer looking, but doesn't get EVERY little cranny, no matter how good your applicator wand is.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
thanks joyegster and pomansram I will check them out .
I'm from Michigan as well been using krown since my 2016 was new it works great. There is a place in croswell that does it only one in Michigan that I'm aware of.