ZMAX - Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basketranger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought a gently used 2017 Rebel with the 5.7L. When i bought the truck it appeared to have had Red Line oil used in it, after the local dealer changed the oil and filter with what i understand to be PUP oil, I started to get a little tick after start up for just a few seconds then it goes away.

Question: Is ZMAX a good supplement to the oil that is in there and will it "help" preserve my engine?

Either for the oil or the engine - is it worth the investment @ $20.ish a bottle per oil change or is it frowned upon?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have no opinion on whether it might help the tick or not, I can just say it is a harmless low quality base oil, low quality as in lubricating an engine not quality as in contaminants in the oil like group 2 oils. Considering you are adding it to 7 quarts of high quality base oil, won't lower the quality of the oil that much. As in, you wouldn't want to run 7 quarts zmax for many reasons, the quality of the base oil as one of them, but it is an additive, so those considerations are minor. Some type of mineral oil with a high pour point and low flash point, engine oils have a low pour point and high flash point, the opposite of this product. So you can mix this product if you so choose, it isn't something harmful like some other additives. Let us know the result if you try it.

We do know oils and additives that are more traditional EP formulations have worked at a high success rate on the board, lubegard biotech and redline are 2 of these, but there are other similar additives to try as well, you just want EP additives and base oils because hemi tick is an extreme pressure situation, exactly what those additives are made for. I don't see any EP additives on zmax, I would need to see a voa of zmax to determine that.

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man this kind of stuff is like a religion, everyone makes up their own rules

OP
OP
B

Basketranger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only reason I asked about ZMAX is because of the ads.
It penetrates the metal to prevent "carbon build up", and maybe I would guess stiction leading me to think it might help the lifters last longer.

Just bouncing thoughts. I am not necessarily for additives, just trying to do some homework in hopes of getting maybe *half a million miles from my Hemi before rebuild.

The little bit of homework I have done, looks like from the folks that are somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between (it will kill an engine to its the best stuff) seem to say no to ZMAX as a friction reducer. But is that what is needed for the Hemi?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your not for additives? Every motor oil has additives that help base oils do it's job. The question is hemi tick and additives, as it turns out more of the right additives can help hemi tick most of the time.

zmax- Basically low risk product to try, might dilute engine additives a tad, not a big risk. it is a low viscosity mineral oil, msds says 99% mineral oil, and low visc. I would not guess it will kill hemi tick, but I'd be happy if it did.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello All in Ram Land, late last summer / early fall, I fired up my "16" 5.7 and to my shock and disgust for just a few seconds " ONE LIFTER TICKING". Coming up on the 3000 mile oil change interval, had the oil changed at the dealer and the next stop is autoparts store.

Bought ZMAX dumped it in and now on the second oil change and ZMAX with 46669 on the clock, and it hasn't reared its ugly self yet.

Still keeping the ears open if it does.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Well it looks to be pretty clear cut that it won't hurt anything. Never tried it myself. I wouldn't rule it out in the future either. With stuff like this you either have first hand experience on whether it works/doesn't work or someone you completely trust has first hand experience with it and steers you one way or the other. Truthfully it could be something that gave them a "pick me up" type of feeling about their truck. Uncertain history or neglect :D. Damn truck could be someone's unwanted kid for all we know. :Big Laugh::Big Laugh:
We all have to have something to spend our money on. :cheers: