Zone 1.5” + Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have nearly 5 years/70k on the rear Bilstein shocks…Thinking they dont pair as well with the Icon springs. Maybe its me just needing to get used to them. Researching replacement shocks though.
Anyone have experience with these:
Nevermind..Just saw a horrific review. Having to cut 1/4-1/2” off the frame mount tabs. That was Icon’s suggestion for 4th gen install. Ummmmm Pass…

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There a tad softer ride, but it may be because they are multi-stage. They handle pot holes well. I am going to upgrade my rear control arms and shocks I think. My rear 0-2” are definitely at the 2” lol.
With the Icon JT’s and a 1.5” body lift with brand new 35’s (like an hour ago) the rear is 43” from wheelwell to ground.
Front is 2.8 Bilsteins and is 42”. I have a Wulf 1/4” spacer plate that would get me another 1/2”. Not sure I need it looks pretty nice now. Thoughts?
View attachment 514532
View attachment 514533
View attachment 514534
Truck looks great!
On those wulf spacers- use them with caution they are the large hole style while will over time allow your top strut mount to work its way loose. In this case I think the rough country spacer is a better way to go. Im using them myself (even though I have coilovers now- I used them when I had the eibach front struts too tho) and I believe @crazykid1994 is or was also using them instead of the Wulf

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck looks great!
On those wulf spacers- use them with caution they are the large hole style while will over time allow your top strut mount to work its way loose. In this case I think the rough country spacer is a better way to go. Im using them myself (even though I have coilovers now- I used them when I had the eibach front struts too tho) and I believe @crazykid1994 is or was also using them instead of the Wulf
Still using them. Hard to give them up

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck looks great!
Thanks!
So the 3 strut stud holes are oversized and that would be the cause of them to work loose? I want to make sure I’m following…allows it to possibly wobble loose?

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks!
So the 3 strut stud holes are oversized and that would be the cause of them to work loose? I want to make sure I’m following…allows it to possibly wobble loose?
Its the center hole- this is a pic from RC website. Compare that center hole diameter to what the wulf spacer looks like.

ram-1500-2_5in-kit-363_1.jpg

The larger diameter hole allows room for the rubber mouting hardware on the top of the shock rod to potentially move through the hole over time and can lead to a loose shock I believe. I may have the mechanism wrong but the end result is there

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s really interesting, I had heard about that in a video a while back and that kinda scared me away from spacers. Who woulda thunk rough country would be the one to do it right, ha

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mmm hmmmm. I thought it just a cushioning over metal. I wish I saved the ones I murdered with the cutoff wheel. So the circular plate the strut shaft bolts to is free-floating inside of the top hat? Basically suspended by a rubber “trampoline” for lack of a better descriptor or is this rubber over metal as a damper.
Anyways…heres my current CV angle at 2.8.

1677436625192.jpeg

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll get along good with Jeremy/Max!,he's a firefighter with as twisted a sense of humour as we have,lol
Yeah, local to me evidently. Looks like they run the test and tune every Saturday. I will get the headers on and maybe look for a set 17, 18, 20” take-offs with street tires. Have to find a helmet…all I think I have is a filthy Troy Lee motocross helmet somewhere in the attic from 1995 lol.
I may go just watch, meet some folks.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I scored manifold gaskets to the tips for 300

Lt, custom 3" dual with x pipe and magnaflows
Thats a solid snipe! I’ve seen one like that, but too far away.
I figured these shorties will suffice for now. Accomplishes getting the OEM bolts out of my heads while they appear to be intact!

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So…I remembered when I bought my Hellwig off CL years ago. It was NIB, never taken out of the plastic…It had extended sway bar links…I found them .
I really need a lift…

1677983336456.jpeg

1677983370626.jpeg

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay…rebuit my front struts…When I had to use the replacement strut hats, I neglected to put the thin rubber isolator pad from the underside of the oem hat…of course I found this out after reassembly the other week. So added the Wulf 1/4” spacer as well. Front is at 42.5” and rear 43” now.
-Replaced PVC valve
-Torqued my intake manifold…THEY WERE BARELY FINGER TIGHT! My idle smoothed out and it runs better. Y’all need to do this…
-Rattle canned my rear axle.
Phew…what an afternoon!
1678060052196.jpeg