Zone Lift - Not Eco Compliant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Can someone point me to the information about BDS lift kits not working with ecodiesel equipped trucks? I've had mine on my ecodiesel for more than 30K miles and take it offroad loaded with camping gear pretty often.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Can someone point me to the information about BDS lift kits not working with ecodiesel equipped trucks? I've had mine on my ecodiesel for more than 30K miles and take it offroad loaded with camping gear pretty often.
Year of your truck, and what lift do you have BDS makes quite a few

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
2018 with BDS 6". I went back to the BDS website and saw that their product flyer says the 4" kit will work with ecodiesels with factory air ride.
https://bds-suspension.com/productFlyer/BDS_NPR-671.pdf

The third picture on the page also has an ecodiesel with the 6" lift on their page as well.
https://bds-suspension.com/product?kid=671H

This is the first I've heard that the front drive shaft needs to be replaced. I went looking for more information and see it is now listed in the "Important lift notes" pop up when clicking on the lift kit. I put an inquiry in to BDS asking about it. This was NOT on the kit notes when I had it installed in 2019. The shop put a copy of the kit notes on my invoice which matched the website at the time. #1-6 was there, but no #7.

Important Kit Notes
  • 1. The rack and pinion steering system is extremely sensative to an out-of -round or out-of-balance tire/wheel combination. The larger the tire and the less the backspacing, the more sensative the system becomes, causing minor steering wheel shimmy.
  • 2. Not recommended for AWD models.
  • 3. Stock 17" wheels can not be re-installed. Stock 20" can be reinstalled with factory tire.
  • 4. Will not fit adjustable air suspension equipped models.
  • 5. TRX models will achieve aproximately 1" of additional lift. This lift is not recommended for use on the TRX models due to possible CV shaft vibration caused by the additional lift. Instead, consider our 4" lift system for about 5" of lift or replace the TRX struts with standard struts for use with this system.
  • 6. This kit is FMVSS No.126 Compliant.
  • 7. This kit will bolt on Eco-Diesel models but it will require an aftermarket front drive shaft.
  • compliant-badge.png
  • The NHTSA's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No.126 requires all new passenger vehicles to include Electronic Stability Control (ESC) systems that meet certain standards that can be tested through a comprehensive series of evasive maneuvers. Aftermarket products must meet these standards as well.
  • BDS Suspension is leading the industry by independently testing all suspension kits to verify our kits are fully compliant with the stability control system requirements set by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 126.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Update:
response I received from BDS about ecodiesels and front driveshaft failure:

Through our large dealer network, we have seen some instances of premature drive shaft failure on the Eco-Diesel models. We originally had a note upon the release of the kit that stated “Does NOT fit Diesel models”. This was because there were not any aftermarket driveshaft options available. Once the aftermarket caught up and we started to see the ability for driveshaft shops to build aftermarket driveshafts to support this, we changed the note to what you see now “This kit will bolt on Eco-Diesel models but it will require an aftermarket front drive shaft.”

I do not remember seeing the does NOT fit diesel models when researching what lift to put on my truck. I would have seen it if it was in the same place as the new warning about needing an aftermarket drive shaft.

At any rate, the lift is on my truck and I continue to drive it regularly. I asked about what exactly fails on the drive shaft and am waiting for a response. I guess I need to get a replacement under my truck quickly. I do not want it failing far away from help.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
BDS clarified on drive shaft failure:

The CV portion of the drive shaft will lose grease and start to clunk and make a bunch of noise. This needs to be converted to a dual cardon joint. I have heard that Adams drive shaft and Drivelines plus in Indiana have been working on these to address this.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Update:
response I received from BDS about ecodiesels and front driveshaft failure:

Through our large dealer network, we have seen some instances of premature drive shaft failure on the Eco-Diesel models. We originally had a note upon the release of the kit that stated “Does NOT fit Diesel models”. This was because there were not any aftermarket driveshaft options available. Once the aftermarket caught up and we started to see the ability for driveshaft shops to build aftermarket driveshafts to support this, we changed the note to what you see now “This kit will bolt on Eco-Diesel models but it will require an aftermarket front drive shaft.”

I do not remember seeing the does NOT fit diesel models when researching what lift to put on my truck. I would have seen it if it was in the same place as the new warning about needing an aftermarket drive shaft.

At any rate, the lift is on my truck and I continue to drive it regularly. I asked about what exactly fails on the drive shaft and am waiting for a response. I guess I need to get a replacement under my truck quickly. I do not want it failing far away from help.

Had a similar experience with my Readylift SST 4". I bought it and installed it on the truck and shortly thereafter they added the caveat "Not for use with EcoDiesel model". I called and response they gave me was that they hadn't actually had the opportunity to install one on an EcoD so they weren't sure it would fit. I've had mine on for about a year and a half with maybe 8000 miles or so and no issues either. I am interested if you find anything else though. Please post back here if you do.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Update - My front drive shaft is slinging grease everywhere (on the transfer case side of the shaft). I have one being built for me by Adams Driveshaft in Nevada. Very helpful folks.

At the end of the day, I'm out $530 for a custom driveshaft plus another $150 for shipping to remedy a problem that I could have steered clear from had I saw any warning that BDS says was there when I bought the lift. Water under the bridge though, as it needs to be fixed... The lift is already on, and the OE driveshaft is halfway baked.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update - My front drive shaft is slinging grease everywhere (on the transfer case side of the shaft). I have one being built for me by Adams Driveshaft in Nevada. Very helpful folks.

At the end of the day, I'm out $530 for a custom driveshaft plus another $150 for shipping to remedy a problem that I could have steered clear from had I saw any warning that BDS says was there when I bought the lift. Water under the bridge though, as it needs to be fixed... The lift is already on, and the OE driveshaft is halfway baked.
You'll love their DS. I've had Adams in my Jeeps. Cool peeps indeed and their **** is well made.
Have fun.

Laselva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good afternoon, new here, and I see that you all are in the same boat as me. 2017 eco diesel. I had the zone 4 “ lift installed 1 1/2 ago. Zone is also owned by bds, just for info. Well, 10k miles later front drive shaft making alote of noise. Dealer changes is out under warranty. Fast forward 8 months and 8k miles and she’s in the shop again. Front drive shaft banging around. Ram called me today and said there’s a problem with your lift, it’s too much angle and if they change it out under warranty again they’ll be flagged blah blah. So, it’s a 3 day weekend and I love the zone lift. As you all already stated. Know where did it ever say, you need a different drive shaft. Thank you all for the information you’ve collected with sweat blood and $$$. I guess my only option is to purchase an updated drive shaft from Adams, unless someone has found a cheaper solution. Thank you all.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
The folks at Adams are really helpful and the driveshaft is VERY beefy. They were having difficulty with getting an adapter in from their usual supplier which extended my wait time. They ended up using their custom machine shop and having the adapter custom-made for me at no additional charge.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I don't remember, but it wasn't very much.... maybe an hour of shop time.