2004 Ram 1500 No crank No start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04JGRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and wanted to share my recent experience with my 04 ram that had a no crank no start condition.

One day I got out to my truck (had been running great up until then) to start it and had nothing except lights on the dash. No crank whatsoever. I Did some basic investigation, checking fuses, relays, and still nothing. I tried hitting the starter with a hammer and still nothing. I waited a little while after multiple attempts to crank it over and it randomly started again. This all happened during my day at work (I do a lot of driving). I decided to drive back to the office and on my way there it died out on me. It lost power and thankfully I was able to limp it over to the side. Same thing, no crank, just lights and gauges working. I could hear the fuel pump coming on every time I turned the key so I knew it wasn’t an intermittent fuel pump relay or something like that. I ended up having it towed to my dad’s repair shop. After hours of digging and reading forums I went and checked for power/ground at the starter relay. Had 12.4 volts and ground at contact side. On coil side of relay I had power but no ground coming from the pcm. Long story short I found that when I wiggled wires from connector C3 to the computer my truck would intermittently start and die. All the wires checked out, no oxidation or breaks or green discoloration of the wires. It ended being the PCMs port where the connector goes in. Once I replaced the PCM I was back up and running good to go.

Side note: I had weird things happening when I would turn the key like no fuel gauge operation, ASD relay was clicking when I turned the key on. Replaced the ignition switch and TIPM and didn’t make a difference. Wiggling wires was the last thing I thought it was going to be. Moral of the story, if you have this problem (which seems like a common issue from what I’ve read) CHECK ALL OF YOUR WIRING CONNECTIONS!! From fuse box to pcm. Thanks guys.