2011 Dodge Ram 1500 - Crank/No-Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawFMX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L - Been having a crank/no-start issue for awhile, it happens every morning after sitting overnight and tends to happen again after it's been sitting for a few hours after a drive.

What I've noticed so far, is if I go out and try to turn it over the first time in the morning it will start and immediately bog out within like half a second, or not at all and then each attempt after it will just crank over and over trying to start up.

Eventually, it takes quite a few cycles of the key, if I do it slow it can take 10-15 turns and it will eventually start up, or sometimes I can cycle the key 5-6 times very fast and it will turn over as well. It's had no rough idle really, no sputtering and hasn't stalled yet while driving once it's running. Also, once I've got it started and/or gone for a drive, I can shut it off and it starts no problem, maybe for like a half hour or so afterwards. It really seems to not start after sitting for more than an hour or two specifically.

I recently had the fuel pump changed, according the garage I went to that was the issue, which is BS 'cause that same night it was still doing the exact same thing, with the identical symptoms. So I'm now thinking it's the fuel pump relay potentially but want to see if anyone has any other insight into this. Especially where it's hard to recreate the issue at a shop if the truck hasn't been sitting.

Posted below are the only codes I got myself, and I've erased them since, after a few days or a long drive, the CEL will come back with 1 or both of the same codes.
-p2098
-P0456