2023 Ram 1500 Etorque voltage issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hjbennett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some help please! Just bought a used 2023 Ram 1500 with 22k on it, and noticed my battery voltage is all over the place. I’ve only had it about 4 weeks. When starting it’s at 14.0 and hovers around 14.0-13.9, but with multiple trips in one day, the voltage continues to drop. Trip one and voltage was at 14.0-13.9, was at the office for about 4 hours and when I started it it was 14.0 again but as soon as I started driving it dropped down to 13.8-13.7 the rest of the drive, got to my next location and it was off for about 30 minutes started it back up and it was 14.0 but upon driving it dropped to 13.6-13.4. Also noticed the voltage is bouncing when I sit at a red light and will jump back and forth about .1 up and down. Is this normal with the etorque system? If it’s a continuous drive I haven’t seen much fluctuation.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That sounds pretty much the same as my 2023. Most times mine is reading 14.0 to 13.6. But there are times it drops as low as 12.7 for a while. So far no apparent problems but I only have a little over 2000 miles on it. I noticed mine bouncing .1 volt, back and forth the other day at a light. I guess it was right in between and small variances were toggling it back and forth.

I have a couple of old Plymouths with mechanical voltage regulators and after thinking about it, the behavior of the voltage regulating in the RAM does remind me of their behavior.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
The charging system on the etorque is night and day difference from a vehicle with a traditional alternator. With etorque, the starter/generator charges the 48v battery only. It does not directly charge the 12v main battery. That battery gets charged by the 48v battery module. I never monitored the main battery voltage on either etorque truck I've owned, but I've seen posts from other people who say the voltage fluctuates in a similar way. I'd consider it normal based on what I've read from other etorqe owners.

OP
OP
H

hjbennett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The charging system on the etorque is night and day difference from a vehicle with a traditional alternator. With etorque, the starter/generator charges the 48v battery only. It does not directly charge the 12v main battery. That battery gets charged by the 48v battery module. I never monitored the main battery voltage on either etorque truck I've owned, but I've seen posts from other people who say the voltage fluctuates in a similar way. I'd consider it normal based on what I've read from other etorqe owners.
Thank you for your reply, that makes me feel much better! This is the first etorque vehicle I’ve had so I’m still learning what is considered normal.

OP
OP
H

hjbennett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fluctuating voltage is a characteristic of eTorque system, several on here have had the same concern.
I just found this forum the other day and you all have been so helpful! I was so discouraged when I saw the fluctuation thinking there was something wrong. Knowing that most others have experienced it as well has definitely eased my mind!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a couple of old Plymouths with mechanical voltage regulators and after thinking about it, the behavior of the voltage regulating in the RAM does remind me of their behavior.

I have to ask, what is a mechanical voltage regulator?

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A points operated voltage regulator that was generally standard of the industry until electronic VR started appearing in the early 70s. They controlled system voltage with a couple sets of points and they constantly toggled between them to maintain a voltage level. This resulted in frequent, small voltage fluctuations which you could see on some amperage and battery gauges depending on how well they were dampened. By adjusting the tension on the upper set of points you could adjust the max voltage output. Another trait was they typically put out a little higher voltage on a cold start and as the regulator heated up, the peak voltage would fall maybe 3 or 4 tenths and then stabilize. From one of my old Plymouths.
IMG_1820.jpeg

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
It’s normal. Anything over 12.6v is considered charging. 48v battery as a 12v dc converter and pushes voltage to the 12v under the hood. Basically it only really gives the 12v what it needs to be charged which is better than throwing 14.7v at it all the time. Bad thing is if the DC converter or your voltage drops below the 12.6v then you have to replace the whole 48v pack which is like $2k and the 48v generator is like $1-1.5k.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
It’s normal. Anything over 12.6v is considered charging. 48v battery as a 12v dc converter and pushes voltage to the 12v under the hood. Basically it only really gives the 12v what it needs to be charged which is better than throwing 14.7v at it all the time. Bad thing is if the DC converter or your voltage drops below the 12.6v then you have to replace the whole 48v pack which is like $2k and the 48v generator is like $1-1.5k.
That’s if the replacement parts are available. The generator/motor is currently on back order. Who knows how long your truck might be out of commission if that part goes bad.

OP
OP
H

hjbennett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

OP
OP
H

hjbennett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far the lowest mine has got is 12.8, it’s just very unnerving watching it drop throughout the day. Makes me a bit nervous to take it on a long trip.

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
So far the lowest mine has got is 12.8, it’s just very unnerving watching it drop throughout the day. Makes me a bit nervous to take it on a long trip.
I have a 2023 with a 3.6 and it has done some if the same. I thought that it was dropping as the load increased, like when my AC kicked on, and then it recharged. It is a weird system, but it was soooo comfy on a 500 mile cruise.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A points operated voltage regulator that was generally standard of the industry until electronic VR started appearing in the early 70s. They controlled system voltage with a couple sets of points and they constantly toggled between them to maintain a voltage level. This resulted in frequent, small voltage fluctuations which you could see on some amperage and battery gauges depending on how well they were dampened. By adjusting the tension on the upper set of points you could adjust the max voltage output. Another trait was they typically put out a little higher voltage on a cold start and as the regulator heated up, the peak voltage would fall maybe 3 or 4 tenths and then stabilize. From one of my old Plymouths.
View attachment 543309
Now that picture brought back memories!!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 112538 miles.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, had one of these mounted on firewall below/or to the side brake master cylinder on my 67 SS, 68 Olds. U know though, it was real easy to troubleshoot an electrical problem back in the Day!!!

vr.JPG

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Old fellow I knew had a couple old tractors and the Voltage reg. on both where shot, rather then fix or replace them, he just bypassed them with a clip and wire , when battery getting low, he hooked the wire from generator to battery for a while.
Chances are none of the lights worked, so don't need too much charging.

The usual fix for volt regulator is a wack with a hammer.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Old fellow I knew had a couple old tractors and the Voltage reg. on both where shot, rather then fix or replace them, he just bypassed them with a clip and wire , when battery getting low, he hooked the wire from generator to battery for a while.
Chances are none of the lights worked, so don't need too much charging.

The usual fix for volt regulator is a wack with a hammer.

I guess you make do with what you have. :waytogo:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
He likely had a spare, but just saving it for later.
Dad would buy spare parts, but problem was when he needed it , he forgot he had at , or could not find it. I seem to follow in his steps. ( Wife's just don't get it)

PS Etorque, I have not had anything to do with them.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, silly me. It drops when the stop/start activates. I've tried various loads and when the engine is running, the charge is just a bit under 50%, seems normal to me. When start/stop activates and the engine stops, the charge drops pretty quickly. If the 48v charges the 12v battery and still needs charge to assist the engine when coming off the line...well...somehow it all works, I guess.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was thinking that it could be the shut down at red lights, all the other stuff is still drawing Current