Buying back grandpaws truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So a while back I had to sell my grandads c1500. 97 extended cab 305 v8 lowered. Well it's recently come back up for sale. Have the cash to buy it but it's like half our liquid savings and not sure what I wanna do. Wife sais get it, but I feel like if I did I would need to sell my Rebel. Kids can ride in the rebel but not the c1500.

I want it, but at the same time I'll want to spend a ton of money on it and don't really wanna do that either tight now. Could just buy it and park it for a bit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Kids out weigh sentimental value.If you have to sell a usable vehicle that carries "your" family,for one that only has sentimental value,the answer is pretty obvious to me.Your kids are your family,they come first.plus it's a truck that's probably not going to go up in value much from now,if it was an old square body or a 454 SS,then it might be differant,but a 97 with just a 305 isn't either of those.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
it is your decision to make . Exercise some self control if you want it , buy it and put it away until that second job you get earns you enough to modify or repair as you desire . If it’s in decent shape you could always get rid of it if you decide it’s more than you can handle. If you read through enough posts ,people always regret letting one slip away . This would keep your granddads spirit going for your kids, to maybe enjoy when they can drive.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
DSCN5938.JPG

When we moved to the farm in 2001, I bought my Dad's 1969 F-100. Dad bought it from the original owner when it was a year old, and I and my brothers all learned to drive in it. I subsequently taught my boys to drive in it out on the hay field.

After ten years hauling hay in wintertime in Central IL, rust was starting to take over. Other mechanical issues brought me to the point where I made the decision it wouldn't be worth the effort to repair/restore the truck. At that time, it would not have brought much money, even repaired (not true today!). So after 42 years in the family, I sold it to a high school kid who planned to 'fix it up' with his Dad.

I saw the truck in town a few times over the next year or two, then got a call from the kid asking if I wanted to buy it back. He had gotten the mechanical issues sorted, but the rust repairs were beyond what he could handle.

I thought it over for just a moment (and was briefly tempted to say 'yes'), but then remembered why I sold it in the first place - I need to 'shorten my lines' on projects and their related expenses - and told him 'thanks for asking, but no.'

Having retired and now being in my 'grandpa' years, I've come to realize that cars and other 'things' are really only temporary, and relationships with your kids and family far outweigh owning stuff.

I have great memories of the truck and lots of photos, and don't regret "letting it go" at all at this point in my life.

Maybe that will give you something to think about in your own decision…

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 541790

When we moved to the farm in 2001, I bought my Dad's 1969 F-100. Dad bought it from the original owner when it was a year old, and I and my brothers all learned to drive in it. I subsequently taught my boys to drive in it out on the hay field.

After ten years hauling hay in wintertime in Central IL, rust was starting to take over. Other mechanical issues brought me to the point where I made the decision it wouldn't be worth the effort to repair/restore the truck. At that time, it would not have brought much money, even repaired (not true today!). So after 42 years in the family, I sold it to a high school kid who planned to 'fix it up' with his Dad.

I saw the truck in town a few times over the next year or two, then got a call from the kid asking if I wanted to buy it back. He had gotten the mechanical issues sorted, but the rust repairs were beyond what he could handle.

I thought it over for just a moment (and was briefly tempted to say 'yes'), but then remembered why I sold it in the first place - I need to 'shorten my lines' on projects and their related expenses - and told him 'thanks for asking, but no.'

Having retired and now being in my 'grandpa' years, I've come to realize that cars and other 'things' are really only temporary, and relationships with your kids and family far outweigh owning stuff.

I have great memories of the truck and lots of photos, and don't regret "letting it go" at all at this point in my life.

Maybe that will give you something to think about in your own decision…

This is kinda how I'm feeling. It's just a thing.

The other dave Ramsey in me wants to sell my rebel buy the c1500. No car payments just mortgage since my wife's car is paid for and no other debts.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kids out weigh sentimental value.If you have to sell a usable vehicle that carries "your" family,for one that only has sentimental value,the answer is pretty obvious to me.Your kids are your family,they come first.plus it's a truck that's probably not going to go up in value much from now,if it was an old square body or a 454 SS,then it might be differant,but a 97 with just a 305 isn't either of those.
This is very much true. There are vehicles I would love to have back. If I didn't have my Flex I wouldn't have the Camaro. You have to put your kids first on that one. Emergency situations come up and if you were to find yourself in one and you couldn't haul the kids you would be stuck. If you can afford both, then that is what you should do.

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is very much true. There are vehicles I would love to have back. If I didn't have my Flex I wouldn't have the Camaro. You have to put your kids first on that one. Emergency situations come up and if you were to find yourself in one and you couldn't haul the kids you would be stuck. If you can afford both, then that is what you should do.

I mean my daughters car seat CAN fit in the c1500 since it is extended cab. My son is still rear facing so it's iffy.

I CAN afford both really. We have some money that we pretend doesn't exit in a high yield savings account, 401k...our local savings is kinda like our emergency fund/uh oh get our hands on it quick money. I admit I wasn't the best with money in the past and my wife has really helped me. Now were doing pretty good, her car is paid for just a mortgage and my truck payment which is a wopping 300 bucks and the only reason I really have the payment is to help keep my credit something reporting which I know is a stupid reason lol.

The though of having it back and parking it driving it ever once in awhile makes me happy and I want it back...My frugal side is struggling

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Credit scores and reporting agencies exist to encourage you to stay in debt. We've been debt-free for years, and it was one of the primary reasons I was able to retire at 57. I don't really care what my score is, honestly, but I am concerned with what's going on in the economy - and it looks like it ain't getting better anytime soon… the less debt you have, the more options you have.

If you have the means, I would suggest make paying all your debt off a priority (while leaving enough in savings to handle emergencies). If you still have a surplus after that (you should, since you're no longer paying down debt), and can do so by paying cash, that's the time to consider situations like adding your old truck to your fleet.

(confession: our eldest works for Dave Ramsey, who wasn't a thing when my wife and I married - we took a class at church authored by Ron Blue, and my wife still uses "the envelope method" of budgeting to this day.)

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Credit scores and reporting agencies exist to encourage you to stay in debt. We've been debt-free for years, and it was one of the primary reasons I was able to retire at 57. I don't really care what my score is, honestly, but I am concerned with what's going on in the economy - and it looks like it ain't getting better anytime soon… the less debt you have, the more options you have.

If you have the means, I would suggest make paying all your debt off a priority (while leaving enough in savings to handle emergencies). If you still have a surplus after that (you should, since you're no longer paying down debt), and can do so by paying cash, that's the time to consider situations like adding your old truck to your fleet.

(confession: our eldest works for Dave Ramsey, who wasn't a thing when my wife and I married - we took a class at church authored by Ron Blue, and my wife still uses "the envelope method" of budgeting to this day.)

The dave ramsey in me want's to sell the rebel and pay for the old truck drive it and have no payments and just knock out the mortgage.

Alot of people would say don't because of the age of the truck buy my wifes 2020 grand cherokee with 40k miles is paid for and very dependable.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much money are we talking here? Personally sold my last 97 K1500 for kids sake. Was an extremely hard decision and regret it at times.

Cool part is, being financially responsible will pay off in the long run. I know own another K1500 and have a practical/reliable daily driver.

If you see your carrier growing short term maybe be best to jump in. Buying this truck is not financially smart but it will bring some joy. The 305 is not increasing in value so don't expect to make your money back. Also expect repair and maintenance costs. 25 year old is just that. hope you can turn a wrench.

Also need pics.

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much money are we talking here? Personally sold my last 97 K1500 for kids sake. Was an extremely hard decision and regret it at times.

Cool part is, being financially responsible will pay off in the long run. I know own another K1500 and have a practical/reliable daily driver.

If you see your carrier growing short term maybe be best to jump in. Buying this truck is not financially smart but it will bring some joy. The 305 is not increasing in value so don't expect to make your money back. Also expect repair and maintenance costs. 25 year old is just that. hope you can turn a wrench.

Also need pics.

I got him talked down to 4500
Before I sold it I did new Injectors, fuel pump, filter, radiator, ac system, brakes all the way around so that's all 2 years old.

I could just pay it but...i have really hard time letting go of cash while I still ahve truck debt.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got him talked down to 4500
Before I sold it I did new Injectors, fuel pump, filter, radiator, ac system, brakes all the way around so that's all 2 years old.

I could just pay it but...i have really hard time letting go of cash while I still ahve truck debt.
If $4,500 is half of your liquidated savings, probably walking away. This is assuming keeping the Ram.

Or buy it as a daily. Live like no one else, so later in life you can live like no one else. "Paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice". I have lived it brother.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If $4,500 is half of your liquidated savings, probably walking away. This is assuming keeping the Ram.

Or buy it as a daily. Live like no one else, so later in life you can live like no one else. "Paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol in life". I have lived it brother.
Really thinking about making it a daily.

We have a high yield savings account with over 6 months of expenses but we pretend it doesn't exist. We have 10k locally that's just there just in case.

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Or buy it as a daily. Live like no one else, so later in life you can live like no one else. "Paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice". I have lived it brother.

We kinda did the dave ramsey things backwards and built a nest egg first then paid off all the bs debt we just have my truck left lol. We sacrificed though 2 kids and we didn't have direct tv, streaming, all the extra bs people have now days we lived on rice and beans lol. We have ourself in what i feel like is better finacial shape then alot of people.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We kinda did the dave ramsey things backwards and built a nest egg first then paid off all the bs debt we just have my truck left lol. We sacrificed though 2 kids and we didn't have direct tv, streaming, all the extra bs people have now days we lived on rice and beans lol. We have ourself in what i feel like is better finacial shape then alot of people.
Smart man!

We still have not seen pics yet. HA.

Is it a three door or just the two? makes a difference. Don't remember what year that came out as an option. So a backwards car set will fit but only in the middle with buckets seats. The middle does not fold down on the bench front I don't think. How older are the kiddos?

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try and upload some pics it's a 2 door extended cab with a center console, backward facing would only sit in the middle.

Kids are 4 and 1

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
God bless you. Couple sleepless monsters.

My 1 year old spend lots of time in the back of this 97. There head is right next to your shoulder.
black 1.jpg
black 2.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I mean my daughters car seat CAN fit in the c1500 since it is extended cab. My son is still rear facing so it's iffy.

I CAN afford both really. We have some money that we pretend doesn't exit in a high yield savings account, 401k...our local savings is kinda like our emergency fund/uh oh get our hands on it quick money. I admit I wasn't the best with money in the past and my wife has really helped me. Now were doing pretty good, her car is paid for just a mortgage and my truck payment which is a wopping 300 bucks and the only reason I really have the payment is to help keep my credit something reporting which I know is a stupid reason lol.

The though of having it back and parking it driving it ever once in awhile makes me happy and I want it back...My frugal side is struggling
It sounds like to me you have already made up your mind. I sometimes struggle with the same thing. Do I spend it or let it go. If the numbers work then do it. You know it will make you happy. It wont be long and your son wont be rear facing. They will work with a car seat. I had a 96 extend cab about 15 years ago and it held my son who had just turned around.

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds like to me you have already made up your mind. I sometimes struggle with the same thing. Do I spend it or let it go. If the numbers work then do it. You know it will make you happy. It wont be long and your son wont be rear facing. They will work with a car seat. I had a 96 extend cab about 15 years ago and it held my son who had just turned around.

It would make me happy. I'm thinking i'm gonna do it...my biggest issue is...am I going to want to drive that more than the rebel. Do I keep both and one day work on the truck maybe drive it every few weeks now or make it a daily

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just my lil ol opinion, I say buy it. 4500 isn't terrible, that seems pretty reasonable for a vehicle you know is in good shape. It would be paid off and frankly it never hurts to have an extra vehicle.