Portable air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
most likely not, that compressor draws 10 amps (1200 watts), also the inrush current of a motor load starting is usually too much for even an inverter with double the capacity needed.
You better off to find a 12V compressor for being able to inflate tires off the beaten path.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I agree you can get 12 volt compressors from 50to 500 bucks all depends on what you can afford

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
most likely not, that compressor draws 10 amps (1200 watts), also the inrush current of a motor load starting is usually too much for even an inverter with double the capacity needed.
You better off to find a 12V compressor for being able to inflate tires off the beaten path.

Yeah, figured it was likely to be too much but you can take everything I know about electricity, stick it in a thimble, and have room for your thumb. Probably need one of those hybrid Fords to have that much juice in the plug in?

What sort of thing should I expect to be able to run? Like a coffee pot or power drill?

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
I was just reading an online manual anticipating a truck purchase in spring. The outlet is good for 400 watts. That's right around 3 amps. Might work a little drill.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will the electric plug in in the bed run a portable air compressor without issue?

Something like this to air up tires: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-...lectric-Air-Compressor-Kit-C2002-WK/100672214
You can get you a 2000 watt sine inverter, hook up to battery and run that compressor if you insist, but for just tooling around, one of those lil 12V be OK as long as not stupid flat, you be there till the cows come home, LOL.

AS stated above, heck no, 400 watts not gonna cut it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You can get you a 2000 watt sine inverter
even if that 2000 watt inverter has a 4000 watt inrush capacity that still may not to be enough to get the compressor to start. Inrush of a motor load can be 5X the running load amps. Some motor loads will have a Locked Rotor Amp rating, that is the expected current draw of the motor starting under load.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
if it’s only for pumping up tires, buy a Viair 88 and store it in one of the rear floor compartments. Fits perfectly.

I'd hoped to have a bit more multi-purpose and be able to run some air tools as well, sort of two birds/one stone with one compressor instead of having a portable and a garage only one. But, if that's not realistic then two it is. I have a cheaper 12v I've used for years but it'd take awhile on the PW if I aired down for a trail, I think. I'll look into your recommedation.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You can get you a 2000 watt sine inverter, hook up to battery and run that compressor if you insist, but for just tooling around, one of those lil 12V be OK as long as not stupid flat, you be there till the cows come home, LOL.

AS stated above, heck no, 400 watts not gonna cut it.

That's more bother than it's worth, I think.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd hoped to have a bit more multi-purpose and be able to run some air tools as well, sort of two birds/one stone with one compressor instead of having a portable and a garage only one. But, if that's not realistic then two it is. I have a cheaper 12v I've used for years but it'd take awhile on the PW if I aired down for a trail, I think. I'll look into your recommedation.
I think you might be in the realm of like the ARB Twin Compressor with a small air tank for tool use.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I think you might be in the realm of like the ARB Twin Compressor with a small air tank for tool use.

To clarify, the ability to run air tools around the house, but also throw in the truck bed to inflate tires on the trail. Not the ability to run air tools away from the house. I'm nowhere near high speed enough to make use of that.

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I carry an ARB single that comes in a weatherproof toolbox. I've also seen ARB doubles mounted in RamBoxes.
I keep my 18 toolset battery charger plugged in with three batteries in rotation. I carry an impact driver and a drill driver and I've never run out of juice.
ARB HiOutputCompA-1-1024x900.jpg

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
If you really want to spoil yourself and air up quickly, get a CO2 tank. That’s my go to method these days. Doesn’t have to be expensive like those branded and sold to off-road enthusiasts. A generic tank from a welding supplier or Amazon and a regulator from the same place will do just as well as the fancy ones with logos on them.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just go battery on all of it, pneumatic tools are almost obsolete at this point - I have sold all of mine except for the buffer so far (and that's just because I haven't gotten around to it). You can even get battery operated air compressors.
The AC outlet can charge spare/depleted batteries if needed.

Now what to do with the 60 gallon vertical compressor sitting there?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To clarify, the ability to run air tools around the house, but also throw in the truck bed to inflate tires on the trail. Not the ability to run air tools away from the house. I'm nowhere near high speed enough to make use of that.
I've tried to run air tools on a small compressor like that, other than a nailer or similar, it is just an exercise in futility.
Air impact/ratchet/die grinder/etc is just to air hungry for those small compressors - unless you enjoy doing a nut, wait for air buildup, nut, wait - repeat.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've tried to run air tools on a small compressor like that, other than a nailer or similar, it is just an exercise in futility.
Air impact/ratchet/die grinder/etc is just to air hungry for those small compressors - unless you enjoy doing a nut, wait for air buildup, nut, wait - repeat.

I do a lot more wood than automotive projects. Running brads or something is much more likely for me than running an impact, though that option would sometimes be nice.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I carry an ARB single that comes in a weatherproof toolbox. I've also seen ARB doubles mounted in RamBoxes.
I keep my 18 toolset battery charger plugged in with three batteries in rotation. I carry an impact driver and a drill driver and I've never run out of juice.
View attachment 510261
Nice lil setup though. Compact and portable.