Radio not working, draining battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renshaw03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7L
Hey guys i wanted to pick the minds on here. I have a 2019 1500 Laramie V8 5.7L Hemi. My battery is dying working two days. I recently had the wire harness for the grill shutter changed out. Had a fluke once or twice with the radio not working. I recently replaced the battery and found the truck to be dead in two days. When I jump started it the radio and touch screen didn’t turn on at all. I took the truck to the dealership and they said the screen is separating, causing a communication issue. They recommended replacing the radio and screen but wasn’t sure if that was 100% the problem. They suspect the radio trying to constantly connect to the screen is causing the battery drain. Any ideas on what I should do before throwing $1800 for a new radio and screen?

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Do you have power running boards? Is the back window leaking?

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hey guys i wanted to pick the minds on here. I have a 2019 1500 Laramie V8 5.7L Hemi. My battery is dying working two days. I recently had the wire harness for the grill shutter changed out. Had a fluke once or twice with the radio not working. I recently replaced the battery and found the truck to be dead in two days. When I jump started it the radio and touch screen didn’t turn on at all. I took the truck to the dealership and they said the screen is separating, causing a communication issue. They recommended replacing the radio and screen but wasn’t sure if that was 100% the problem. They suspect the radio trying to constantly connect to the screen is causing the battery drain. Any ideas on what I should do before throwing $1800 for a new radio and screen?
just curious....why did you have to change the grill shutter harness?

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Some people with power running board have noted if they stay down after the truck is turned off (and locked), it can drain the battery. Also, do you have air ride suspension? The pump can run after the engine is off, again draining the battery.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Folks are asking questions about various components because some are known to be power draws even after the truck is turned off. It is possible that your brand new battery is defective. Have you taken the truck to a local auto parts store and has a battery and alternator load tested? It’s possible your alternator is on its way out and the battery is being taxed. I’m skeptical of the dealer claim of the radio. Yes there are known issues and well spoken about here delaminating radio screens that cause electrical issues but the 2019’s are less prone to this. Did the dealer do a parasitic draw test in conjunction with the radio claim? $1800 for a radio that they aren’t sure about is really loading up the parts cannon with your wallet. You may be better served taking your truck to a specialty automotive electronics repair shop. It has been my experience those shops are very good at actual diagnostics whereas dealers not so much with electronics. They are typically quicker and less expensive too. In my humble opinion I’d get a free load test at a parts shop to rule out the charging system. If the charging system passes I’d go to a auto electric shop and pay the diagnostic fee to figure out what the issue is.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The radio and related components are not going to draw enough current to drain a battery that quickly. First start by charging the battery to 95% with a battery charger and then monitor the drop in charge state over a 48 hour period.

The alternator or relay or a computer setting may be preventing the battery from being fully charged while driving.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
They really should perform test to make sure the charging system is good. Then hook up an Amp meter on neg side of the battery to an see how much power drain there is. Then the easy way to see what is draining power, is one by one remove a fuse for that system and see if the power drain stops. I'm surprise RAM does have a plug in tester that can run a diagnostic on the systems and see what is powered up and when the truck is off. Seems like now days, if there are no codes, techs don't what to do.